Certified green homes sell for more?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

Certified green homes sell for more?

Postby JGropp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm

"Certified green homes sell for more", a report says-
as you can see by my comment, I'm skeptical. of this
Press Release- another example of "Green Marketing."
It's too bad the "Green" concept has gotten perverted
like much else.

Press Release-

The superior aesthetics of
Mid-Century Modern homes
can usually be enhanced with
insulating glass units, other
improvements. I've done a
lot of this in the last few years.

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 am

It's a shame when people base their entire life and all decisions on "green" when there is still no solid scientific evidence about any of it. People went out and dumped $30+K on a Toyota Prius that got less EPA-MPG than a 10 year old Geo Metro 3 cylinder or a 20 year old VW Diesel. Even Car & Driver magazine has proven that if you just bought a straight gasoline powered car vs. a hybrid and ran the heck out of both of them, it would have still been cheaper to just buy the little extra fuel a standard car uses vs. pay the extra money for the hybrid technology. But it made somebody feel good. Oh...and they forgot to mention all of the environmental hazards involved with the disposal of the batteries and the fact that it took FIVE TIMES the energy to build the hybrid compared to the standard car. The H3 Hummer even took 1/4th the energy to completely build it. But somebody somewhere feels good about it.
You see so many products that stress "green" and just have to laugh.
Environutjobs have blamed "smog" on hydrocarbons in the early 70s, then oxides of Nitrogen in the early 80's and now blame it (and everything) on CO2. In a 25 year span, they still don't know but will force you to change your life based on total junk-science. Everything today is CO2. I thought CO2 made things green? They banned R-12 refrigerant because "it makes a hole in the ozone layer" and then one year later say "well, our reserch had some flaws in it and we might not have been right about it". Meanwhile, they cost the auto industry billions of dollars for the mandated change they forced on the world.

It's just like everyone eating healty today- it all tastes like a piece of wet cardboard. There's no taste, no nutrition and no reason to eat it. Instead, just eat what you like and what tastes good, but watch your intake. I know quite a few farmers that are over 80 years old and ate bacon, butter, carbs and drank beer every day and are still in better shape than some half their age...and they still work 10 hours every day.

As for "green" houses.... It's just like the Prius. You spend all of this extra money to feel good and can never recoup it. Most of the houses getting built today are twice as big as what anyone needs. Many of the McMansions here (Pgh, PA) have two or three furnaces, two A/C units, thin exterior walls, cheap and little insulation, 120' hot water plumbing runs and such but you still see Joe Yuppie plunk down $600,000 for this cheaply built pile of Home Depot scrap (the average Pgh PA house that most normal working class people purchase is about $180,000-$250,000). Yet they are told it is green.

Most of the environmental movement is clogged with people like Al Gore whom only preach what benefits them like his carbon credit scam. This scam is proof that environmentalists don't care about the environment. If a "dirty" industry purchses carbon-credits (through Al Gore's company) from a "clean" industry, they are allowed to continue operation and to pollute instead of shutting them down until they comply. Pay Al a few million, he gives some of it to the "clean" industry and you are allowed to pollute. Total proof that the movement isn't even taken seriously by those who push it onto everyone.

Envirowacks must hate MCM houses with all of the single pane glass, old (or no) insulation, inefficient HVAC and all of the other taboo things that give them the charm. I'll never trade my MCM ranch for this envirocrap! If they feel good buying this scrap, good for them. They're helping the planet in their mind. I'm sure I offended someone with this, but sometimes the truth hurts. Sorry!

scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby scowsa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 pm

scowsa

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Allison

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:43 pm

blinkbeforebeauty
Modern Socialite

Postby blinkbeforebeauty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:29 pm

I think it is sad that there seems to be a growing undercurrent of backlash against green / sustainable initiatives and ideas. Maybe through media-over-saturation, or economic-politico manipulation of the facts some people want to turn something so elementally good into a divisive issue.

Yes, there will be companies that turn a profit from 'green' products and services. Yes, not all of them will be legit or honest or truthful about what benefits they bring to the world. But that is true with all types of business and people. To thrown the baby out with the bathwater is a huge mistake. I see a huge benefit to our country by the development of new green technologies and industries.

turboblown - There is a mountain of solid evidence about the impact of sustainable design / architecture. More and more cities are implementing green requirements for all new buildings because it makes such a positive impact to the environment.

I am a licensed architect, and a LEED-AP working in a architectural firm in los angeles. I am working on LEED / green projects right now, and I would encourage you to visit this website to learn a little bit more about it before you dismiss something so easily.

cheers -
Brian

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Heaven forbid someone should make money on this. I mean this is the United States! Making money is so capitalistic. How dare Al Gore make money, it's obviously un-American! We are supposed to give as much money as possible to energy and fuel companies.

As an aside, a 10 year old Geo Metro 3 cylinder may get as good a mileage as Prius, but the driving experience does not compare. But a plain Civic will get produce pretty good mileage numbers without the hybrid complexity. And in Southern California the exhaust is cleaner than the air.

Wacks come on both ends of the spectrum. Americans are mostly in the middle. This drives the wacks crazy. Some have recently lashed out. They say there's one on every block. If you don't know who it is, it might be you. :D

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”