Does anyone have pics of white VCT in their house?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Does anyone have pics of white VCT in their house?

Postby Panton-ite » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:09 pm

I've seen a lot of black VCT pics that look great, but I'm curious if anyone has done white.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of white tile Koenig used in CSH #21? Was it just basic white vinyl tile?

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:54 pm

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... 5&start=90

Near the end of the page there are a few pics...

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:01 pm

To my recollection it was just standard white VCT.
I don't remember what brand we used.
It's beautiful but really shows dirt...

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 am

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks for the pics, guys. Your places look great.

We have dark mahogany floors right now and they are a serious pain to clean. You can see every speck of dust. I would think black VCT would do the same, but I guess white VCT does as well...

I've been searching through my Koenig books and I finally found something that said he used "basic white vinyl" tile in the Bailey house.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:22 am

Well, what both black and white show is how dirty life is. Before I tore up dark mahogany and replaced with white VCT, I'd invest in perhaps a Miele vacuum (quite a splurge in my household, almost $800. for a Callisto model with a powered floor tool for rugs) They are powerful and quiet. Ours makes the the black VCT we have look great in a jiffy between mopping. Which brings me to care. The flooring you have now is way easier to care for than VCT. I know this intimately and contemporaneously as I have just stripped and re-waxed the office floor. Talk about work! The hardwood in my last house was easy compared to this. The truth is, what you probably need is more rugs. And if you are like me, you only like really expensive ones. But having rugs around makes hard surface flooring much easier to deal with. Small rugs at entrances grab dirt before it make it in. Large rugs define seating areas and quiet rooms down. And don't forget, wall to wall carpet was very MCM.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am

egads,

I should've been more specific. The mahogany floors are in a house that we are selling. We are thinking VCT in another property. The 'new' house has carpet over original 9x9 VAT, but NOT the cool-looking original stuff in many Cliff Mays'. This original VAT looks like speckled brown puke.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 am

Well all care concerns still apply. If I had it to do over (actually at the time if I'd had the money) I would suggest cork.
Also, that original tile under the carpet is probably asbestos. Removal can be difficult/expensive. Another option once it is removed is to just leave the raw concrete (assuming the house is built on a slab) That is very easy to care for. Just wet mop. Dries really fast. No shine to maintain or scuff marks to worry about. However, many times the concrete is not well finished. (mine wasn't) it can be ground and polished by a person who does terrazzo. (again at great expense) Search for photos of Miguel's floor. Also do check out all options of VCT. My VCT came from Home Depot. I went with black to be authentic. but I did like the gray and light tan ones. (all in stock) Other colors can be special ordered. (although a neutral on a floor throughout is best) My Armstrong is speckled. But there is a house for sale here that has a marbleized tile I personally like much better. If you have never lived in a house built on a slab, then I strongly suggest going for flooring with some shock absorption. Like cork or rubber tile.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm

I used a white VCT with small black speckles in it.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:09 am

we've been happy with the black -- which, with it's already speckled pattern (standard black excelon), doesn't show as much dirt as you'd think. laid in one direction, it also look near continuous.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Classic Form,

Love it. Do you by chance remember the exact color you used? There's "classic white," "polar white," and 3 or 4 more. Are your specks brown, black, or multi-colored? I'm going for the same look you have. We're under contract on our amazing mod....I'll load some pics as soon as I can figure out how to on this blasted thing!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm

See "how to post an image" in the left sidebar of this site.
Then use the "test messages" thread at the bottom.
In order to post pictures on almost any site, they must be hosted somewhere. And hosted somewhere that allows off site linking. A flickr account for instance allows a photo in a set to be shown on it's own page, enlarged. That page has it's own url. That ulr is what you enter in between the img brackets. Once your photos are uploaded to flickr, you can resize them. Besides getting them to show up at all, this is where the test message thread comes in handy. You will be able to see if the pictures show up too big or really small.

You can also just upload a bunch of photos to a place like flickr and just enter a link to the whole set for folks to browse through. This the way to go if you have a lot of pictures.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, egads.

Here's a pic of the house: Image

We're closing end of August. Custom designed modern from 1954. We're buying from original owners. Everything is pristine and original from walnut kitchen w/sliding doors, fixtures, walnut and mahogany paneling, slate floors, stone walls, and bathrooms. The entire house has a flat roof, which is fairly unusual for Atlanta. This is about as 'case study' as Atlanta gets.

I'm going to refinish and restore the kitchen cabinets, new laminate(?) countertops, rip up carpet and install white VCT over original VAT, landscape with modern hardwood fencing, and on...and on... and on...

Here's more photos on photobucket:

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab27 ... w%20house/

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:29 am

They have black marks in them. I wouldn't call them specks, more like veins. I'll look later today for what we used, I think we ended up with Azrock? I've got extra in the basement and will give you the name and style when I get home tonight.

Here's a couple more images.

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 am

Azrock V-312

http://www.azrock.com/Products/ProductD ... V-312&c=64

Looks much better in person than in the image online.

We had the installer finish it as he would if it were wood floor, we don't wax. Dust and wet mop. The floor hides dirt very well although all shoes are off at the door which helps.

I'd suggest that you request a few samples of the tiles you like and lay them out on your floor.

Nice house by the way...You are in for quite a ride. When my wife and I puchased our house 5 or so years ago I found this site and the people here have been INVAUABLE! Ask as many questions as you like and have fun...

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:56 pm

We also used Azrock brand tiles in our house, though not speckled -- just solid white and solid black. In retrospect, I think that the speckles would have hidden dirt much better.

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 am

Congrats on the house Panton-ite! It looks great. Where abouts in Atlanta is it? I bought a house in Decatur last year in the Spring Valley neighborhood and love it. I'm currently debating between white and black VCT for a few rooms... my kitchen and a couple of rooms in my basement (one being my record room). Hope to get started on doing the kitchen floor soon as I am almost done with my kitchen remodel... floors and countertops are what's left to do in there.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”