Is this MCM? If not, then what is it?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is this MCM? If not, then what is it?

Postby MCMAdmirer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm

I have recently started checking out Lotta Living for the first time in about a year or so.

At that time, I was falling in love with MCM and thirsty for information, pictures, etc about MCM, googie, etc. Then, I had hoped that I would buy a MCM home.

Now more than a year later, I have purchased my first home. It's not a ranch, a side-split, a home with a carport, or anything that gives it away that it's a MCM.

A MCM home hasn't come on the market for the last four years. There aren't many in this town. Then, two weeks ago, a slightly MCM looking home (a home with a triangular roof over the living room/front lobby area of the house) came on the market. It was sold in less than a week, I think.

So, the question is: is my new home a MCM? If not, then what is it?

Here is the link:

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:26 am

It looks like a nice 1920s-1930s Cape Cod-style home, with colonial touches (the pediment over the front door). It's a very nice looking home in a nice neighborhood, but not MCM.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

What a completely charming cottage you have!

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:45 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 am

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 am

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:40 am

Thanks for your replies and compliments.

Ha ha, home_boy, I like your comment about how it's MC and perhaps MCCC.

The house is definitely in a very nice neighbourhood. Some say that this block that I live on is one of the top two blocks in the community. I sometimes feel lucky to think and to realize that I do live on this street. It's so leafy during the spring and summer.

I also like the fact that I can walk to various places and these walks wouldn't be too long. There are two grocery stores nearby, a hospital just down the street, the downtown area that consists of my bank, a library, a post office, and a bunch of offices and stores, three hardware stores, an animal hospital where we get meds and food for our 15-year-old Airedale terrier, the waterfront park, and more.

There are a couple of more MCM-looking homes on the same street, but they are north of my house by 1/2 or 1 block. Maybe someday I would be lucky to see the opportunity of getting into these homes and still be in almost the same location, even though the neighbourhood isn't as highly regarded.

The one thing that I have noticed is that not many MCM homes are in walkable neighbourhoods, which I highly value. Is this something that you've noticed too?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 am

It's cape cod. my first house was a 1939 cape cod. I hated it.

if you truly want a Mid-Century Modern home, you will be disappointed with this cape cod. It's homes like these that spurred architects to design single level, open planned homes that embrace indoor-outdoor living.

a city the size of ontario, I am sure there are more MCM homes.

I do not suggest tearing this house apart to try and make "more modern." There is definitely a market for these homes, especially in nice neighborhoods. Live in it a few years, study up on Mid-Century Modernism, continue to explore your city neighborhoods, then trade in for the MCM you desire.

It' kind of funny. I was in the same situation as you, but I thought I wanted a cape cod or cottage type house. after a couple years I realized I wanted something a little more less formal and a little more livable. I thought there were no MCMs in my old town. but now, when I revisit, there are tons. I guess it's a matter of where to look and what to look for :?

or, you find you like this house and live in it for a long time. nevertheless, congtrats on your purchase.
Last edited by Joe on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:36 am

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:39 pm

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Postby Roger Thornhill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:39 am

MCMAdmirer, I would really like to see pics of the teak table when you're done refinishing it. Please post!
"And darkness, as darkness does, fell."

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 am

A walkable neighborhood really is a nice feature to have. My wife and I knew we wanted a true MCM, and got one. However, we passed on a lot of "better" ones (more design elements we liked, needed less de-1980s-ification, etc) to get something close to downtown and near some nice running and walking trails. I've not regreted the choice (too often), and the short drive to work, nice place's to exercise, and easy walking access to shopping have left us with much more time and ways to enjoy the home and neighborhood we picked. Best of luck with your new house!
You are born modern, you do not become so.

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”