Your favorite piece of furniture.....

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SCHOLZMCM
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Your favorite piece of furniture.....

Postby SCHOLZMCM » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm

As I complete another significant portion of the restoration of my Scholz designed California Contemporary Ranch, I realize that it is time to start replacing my "normal" furniture that I had when I lived in a condo. I am just curious what everyone's favorite piece of furniture they own is. I am especially interested in comfort as well as period correct design. Please post some pictures.

Thanks-

Ryan
Scholz Designed MCM California Contemporary Ranch, in OHIO.
Bought from original owner.
Still has the funky lights.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:03 pm

it's funny when people transition from run-of-the-mill blah furniture to mid-century furniture their biggest worry is comfort. no worries needed. just try out what you like before you buy.

I can't really say I have a single favorite. I like to think my furniture is in flux, meaning I won't hesitate to trade of sell in order to acquire something else. that's the great thing about authentic mid century furniture: it keeps it's value.

If you're beginning to consider furniture and decorating, consider the whole room and how it will look and function. if you're buying furniture because you like that particular piece, you'll be frustrated if it doesn't fit the space you want. you need to furnish for the space. Do look at period house magazines and books that show furniture placement and various pieces working together.

that said, bar none, the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman is the most comfortable furniture ever!

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:06 pm

You're on the right track by making comfort a primary concern. I used to have this very comfy but worn out leather recliner that was far from pretty, eventually I decided it was time to replace it. I had tried the Eames Lounge and a few nicely done replicas, yes it must be one of the most comfortable chairs ever but it's also a pretty common site in MCM circles; I had to have something different. So I did some research and found a lounge chair a little less commonplace, a fine item made by DUX:

http://www.ajfisherdesign.com/vintage/images/009.jpg

I also made the mistake of buying via eBay without ever having sat in one. This is not in any way a stab at DUX, I have no complaints about the workmanship or the design from an appearance standpoint but for the life of me, I can't seem to ever get comfortable in this chair without resorting to sitting in a sort of sideways position.

You'd think you could make a safe assumption about comfort by just looking at an aesthetically pleasing piece of furniture but you really can't, believe me when I say Joe hits the nail right on the head: (definitely) try out what you like before you buy.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Furniture

Postby Josquin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:41 pm

My favorite comfortable modern chairs are Han Wegner's papa Bear chair and Saarinen's womb chair. I have some at home and love them. Also, a Milo Baughman lounge chair/recliner is very comfortable.

papa bear chair
womb chair
Lounge Chair

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 pm

It's not MCM, but I thought I'd point out that Costco has the Herman Miller Equa chair on sale this week for $249. (It was originally $349 when Costco started selling them, then they dropped the price to $299. So this seems like a good deal to me.) Of course an Eames manager’s chair for two grand is probably very nice too. But as nice as it is, it was probably not designed to work at a PC.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: Furniture

Postby Miguel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 pm

My favorite chair:
8-)
[/img]

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 pm

sky

Postby sky » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:32 am

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 am

Many MCMs (including mine) have real problems with lighting by virtue of the exposed beam ceilings, which make getting a J-Box directly over your particular furniture arrangement problematic unless you happen to be putting a new roof on at the same time... With this in mind, one of my favorite pieces of furniture is my ARCO lamp (Castiglioni), which lets me arrange/rearrange my furniture as I see fit without worrying about how to light it properly. Seen here in my apartment in Germany, but you get the general idea:

For the office, I someday want to own a 'Time and Life' chair:

You are born modern, you do not become so.

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Postby Bosa Nova » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:44 am

Ryan, take your time and get some reference books. Spend time with the books and become familiar with the shapes, colors and styles that you like.

There are thousands of non iconic pieces from the mid-century period that will work equally as well as the obvious choices and at a fraction of the cost. The down side is that it takes time and effort to find them. :evil:

There are plenty of thrift stores in Dayton and Cincinnati where you can find period pieces at rock bottom prices. Do not be afraid to mix styles, choose things you love. Wooden chairs work with metal tables and Danish pieces work with Modern… ***

For me couches are the biggest and most difficult item because of their size, and unlike an extra chair they are a bit more difficult to stuff into a corner or extra room. That has not stopped me from picking up several daybeds and two proper sofas, but be warned space fills quickly.

Hit the shops and park your rump in pieces that please your eyes. :h: You will quickly learn how to spot the comfy items and when to compromise comfort for aesthetic.

Sadly, my most comfortable pieces are also the least visually pleasing to my eye, with only a few exceptions. Having said that I own many of the classic pieces and nearly as many items with lesser pedigree and they all bring me joy and make me smile, some just work better than others for their intended purpose. But, I also view furniture, and chairs specifically, as functional sculpture and art work that I can nearly afford.

Now go Play. :D

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:51 pm

My favorite:

The Charles Pollock sling chairs manufactured by Knoll. Amazingly comfortable.

Sorry about the long URL, but just click.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1

Slim and Gabby

Great topic!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Hmmm. We was jest talkin' bout this at Casa de los Osos last nite.
I love the Scandi designs, but since I am only 5 ft tall, some of them are just too deep for me to find comfortable for long enough to say...watch a movie.

Our scandi couch looks great, but it's too deep for me to have any back support (which makes it great for sleeping on). I think the only option is the big bolster pillow. I can pretty much only sit long term in the scandi chairs with an ottoman placed 'just-so'.

Strangely, based on what everyone has said, we were commenting how everyone always wants to sit in our Dux recliner. We were thinking we might want to just start looking for a second one on eBay.

The dux is the orange one in the corner. The Pearsall looks great, but just too darned deep!

Darn! Now that we've told y'all, we may not find another one!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm

sky

Postby sky » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:43 pm

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Sometimes I think she thinks she's part T-Rex!

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:08 am

You are born modern, you do not become so.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 am

Too true, egga muff.
I have a girlfriend who is 6 ft, and she loooooves the look of Victorian. Took her a long time to realize the quest for victoriana that would actually be comfortable to her was not too hopeful.

Before I met Slim, I lived in a 50's cabin with all my family's mission style furniture. I realize now much of it had been kept all this time as it was so comfortable to the short wide Italians who bought it. Conversely, his more angular Norwegian forbears had great stuff, just different.

Definitely some generalizations can be made about design styles and relative comfort to different body types. I used to manage a desgin-y furniture store, and saw a LOT of couples order custom sofas that would be comfortable to both parties and really really ugly design wise. I decided a fitting motto could be " Ugly sofa = happy marriage".

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”