I adore these steps

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I adore these steps

Postby jakabedy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:55 am

I was out trying to get some MCM photos in town yesterday and was mostly thwarted by the fully-leafed trees. I went to see one house in particular and was sad to find that the shrubbery had pretty much taken over. But I was able to get a shot of the steps. I just love these assymetrical, cantilevered steps. Thought y'all might, as well.

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 am

Those are sweet! Couldn't build them like that today, where I live as the local building department would require a graspable hand rail(s)
Visit my Blog

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 am

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 pm

I agree with Joe; if no one see you building them, who's gunna know? If someone asks, plead the 5th!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:19 pm

It's also not like you absolutely couldn't put a rail on those. It's a compromose, but it wouldn't exactly destroy the effect if the materials and geometry were selected carefully...
You are born modern, you do not become so.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Install the rail, get the inspector to sign off, and then remove them. Just like most people do when they're remodeling a kitchen here in Cali -- install the ugly, mandated fluorescent light fixtures and then install the REAL light fixtures the moment the inspector leaves. :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Gees Perks, I'm calling the "Thought Police", you can't say things like that... Think of all the people you're discriminating against...
Um, why do you need an inspector? I'd hate to see what they'd say about the houses I've worked on, "Hey, you can't do that, that, that's 50-year old technology, you could kill someone like that fella..." Think about how dangerous your Caddy and my Buick are, holy cow, there's no air-bags in them...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Builders don't put in dimmers because of cost. In fact the current law in California requires a dimmer on incandescent lighting. (or an occupancy sensor) In a kitchen or other primarily task area, fluorescent lighting makes sense. Recess fixtures with specular reflective trims and compact fluorescent lamps mounted sideways are actually quite nice. So are fluorescent under cabinet lighting. The halogen or xenon hockey puck style lights many seem to prefer are hot and spotty. Although it does not really apply to us, such lights also reflect in granite back splashes. (well they also would in glass mosaic tiles) So sometimes the rules do make sense. Lowering our energy usage is a good goal. (and helps free up our money for important electrical usage like A/C!) And florescent is very MCM. It was everywhere in indirect lighting troughs. So there are choices beyond a garage fixture in the center of the room. Fluorescent tubes now come in several color temperatures. There is way more than a cold gray shop light. And, with the new electronic ballasts, they don't flicker or hum. It's just too bad dimming technology is still so bad. Believe me I've tried. I like the smooth even disbursement of fluorescent light, especially in indirect uses. But don't dismiss fluorescent based on what someone installed without study and thought. I recommend a color temp in the 5200 to 5600k range. These are sometimes called designer white. But any quality fluorescent lamp will have it's color temperature listed on it.

But enough of my rant, in the case of the steps above, the right railing would not pass code either. (a simple curved steel rail) Now I have seen a Schindler house in Silverlake that had such railing with small children. (and a 150 foot drop!) those homeowners just attached clear plexiglas with U bolts. Simple, clean and considering the house's importance, reversible.

jakabedy
Modern Master

The rest of the house . . .

Postby jakabedy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Hard to see much for the shrubs. But you can make out the "bridge" driveway that leads to the integrated carport.

Perks

Postby Perks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Hopefully it was at least somewhat evident that I was being facetious with the fluorescent lights bit. I've seen people do that way too often. Seems quite a waste; there are plenty of style options out there if you're willing to look beyond your nearest Home Depot, and plenty of bulbs of different spectral qualities (I actually need to know that sort of stuff at work). Of course, in all fairness, you are limited to some degree with fluorescents, and spending my entire workday underneath them, sometimes I do need a good old incandescent light when I get home.

Moving back to the original topic. I too would want a handrail of some sort on the right out of respect for my less able-bodied family and friends, or for myself when I'm stumbling back home from a bar late at night. It could certainly be done tastefully and I don't think it would detract from the overall design. I'm reminded of the hanging staircase designs, with a series of vertical rods from the overhang to the stair that might look either very striking or horribly incongruous in this particular setting.

On the other hand, as much as I adore these steps, I also really enjoy not having to climb any steps to get into, around, or out of my house.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm

perks -

I'm guessing these steps only get used by trick-or-treaters and Jehovah's Witnesses. The carport entrance is on the side of the house and I would imagine 99% of access is through there. Two of my former houses have been like that. In fact one house, nobody was really sure how to get to the front door, or which one it was when one got there.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I would say that home owners should do what they can to resist and argue for changing pointless building codes that make their homes worse (many of which seem to be designed to improve the prices contractors can charge for what would otherwise be less profitable jobs).

However, I do think that stairs should have railings on them due the pure and simple fact that they do a particularly good job of keeping people from falling and hurting themselves (seriously, they're amazing ;-)!!). It's possible to design steps with railings on them that look good, and I think people building new access to their homes should endeavor to do so.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am

I cropped out the house and they still make me uncomfortable :?

I spent all week in elevators, big and small, turnstiles, and escalators,
wide and skinny. Without fear. I would hesitate to climb that set.
Human error maybe? Lack of repair on the surrounding brickwork?
If need be, i would choose the path close to the right. The thicker section.
I'm not fond of visual hesitation. Especially at an entrance.
Bad design from the get-go. Or is it just a strange execution stuck in the
brickwork? Needs a handrail.

I like the door knob!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 am

In a newsletter distributed by one of the local Realtors here in the Long Beach Ranchos, was a story of a homeowner who did fight city hall with respect to the driveway. The rules say a driveway needs to be hard surface or something. Well this owner used decomposed granite over a drivable base. This has the advantage of being permeable rainwater wise. Now it did help that the owner was an architect and happened to be working with a different city agency on "green" building issues. But the gist is, now the rules are changed.

As an aside (as if the forgoing was not aside enough) we just got a restriction on second story additions, with a low height restriction, and a rule against demolitions. It will be interesting going forward to see how new additions and possible rebuilds (like from a fire) will pan out. Extremely low roof pitches like the Ranchos have cannot be done under current building codes without some serious engineering. I should probably up my insurance coverage to reflect the increased cost of rebuilding.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:41 am

I came accross this website the other day (despite it's name, the content is entirely wholesome). It's not MCM-centric, but it certainly does delve into (read: obsess about) the finer points of stair design... The site contains literally hundreds of pictures of different interior and exterior stair/step/railing approaches from around the world. The bent is toward "modern" steps, but there's a little bit of everything. Generally, the author also does a good job of providing a little bit of citation and technical detail when it's available.

Just thought I would pass it along.

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 am

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 pm

SleazyG
Modern Fan

Postby SleazyG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 am

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 am

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:25 pm

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:27 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”