Our MCM home - a face only a mother can love . . .

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Our MCM home - a face only a mother can love . . .

Postby jakabedy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

We're in the midst of a refi to take advantage of low rates and to get into a 15-year note. Got the appraisal back today and it includes the following comment:

"However, the style is unique but does not harm the curb appeal as the home can not be seen from the road."

It reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode when the one beautiful girl was deemed ugly by the rest of the (truly ugly) population. Thankfully the house appraised for $3K more than we paid for it two years ago (no small feat in this market) and the refi is a go.

The offending object:

Last edited by jakabedy on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm

:D

Now that's funny. Sad though and i'm not a bit surprised. I shutter at what
would get the high marks for curb appeal.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 pm

I agree, very offensive...to an accountant.

GoogieHowser
Modern Socialite

Postby GoogieHowser » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:18 pm

its gorgeous. but no, it doesn't have huge, structurally useless faux columns or shutters that aren't really shutters so of course it doesn't have curb appeal
"Everything should be made as simple as possible. But not simpler." -Einstein

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

or

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:08 am

My advice: throw a few gables on the roof, and you're good to go. :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

and you haven't even zillowed yourself for torture...

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 am

Oy. I gave up on Zillow a long time ago for the same reason. Consistently Zillow ranks our house as worth less than our neighbor's crackerbox 1980's 2 bedroom with half the lot size and plenty of home depot crap tacked onto it. For a while I would compare our place to others in the area as well as the real estate comps. Everyone agrees we have the best lot in this area, but maybe that doesn't count?

I guess folks who don't get MCM just don't get it.
So, lucky for the general populace, your great looking house can't be seen from the road.

Maybe you could use some strategically placed roadside...marbuhl cahlumns.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jakabedy
Modern Master

Re: and you haven't even zillowed yourself for torture...

Postby jakabedy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:12 pm

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Postby Bosa Nova » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm

WOW! The power of language is astounding.

I do not get it. I am offended by the appraiser’s lack of discretion.

An appraisal can stop an otherwise solid loan.

The opinion could have been addressed equally as clearly by using a more neutral statement:

Perhaps, "While the structure is unique to the neighborhood it possesses curb appeal."

Or a bit more enthusiastically, "The structure is unique and has curb appeal as it is visible from the road."

Now how hard was that? While making the same announcement that the home is perhaps unusual or different the writer does not risk fouling up the deal.

No wonder home loans are stuck in the process.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 pm

i would absolutely find out who the appraiser's boss is and write a polite, yet pointed letter.

that kind of comment may have been acceptable (from a business perspective) 10 years ago, but in today's world, MCM is known to anyone who is aware of real estate. period.

Watch NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, MTV, HGTV, Learning Channel, Discovery Channel, etc... Read Time Magazine, Newsweek, People, Metropolitan Home, House and Garden, Dwell, etc... walk through any mall and see Pier One, Urban Outfitters, Z Gallery, Home Depot, Apple Store, Williams Sonoma, Target and even Wal Mart, MCM is absolutely everywhere and popularly accepted as a desireable style.

Whether he/she likes the style personally or not, an appraiser with that extreme lack of knowledge should be slapped for his/her sheer ignorance. It's their job to be aware of values and that includes not bashing a valuable property for sheer style.

by the way - lovely home.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:28 am

You are born modern, you do not become so.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Allison

Becky P
Modern Fan

Postby Becky P » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 am

LOVE your house. The appraiser...meh.

I'm brand new here and very recently fell head over heels in love with MCM ::::::::waving at everyone with a big smile:::::::: :)

Becky

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:33 pm

I've been having this conversation frequently lately.

In all reality, Mid Century Modern homes spend less time on market, even in this economy. But most Realtors and Appraisers have no knowledge of architecture or design appeal.

Realtors tell you to update your kitchen, which often results in not only wasted money, but a Lowe's force-fit ugliness. Fact: buyers looking for "that" kitchen are not looking for "this" house. Buyers looking for "this" house are not looking for "that" kitchen. Where is there a viable buyer in this equation?

Appraisers come in with the same mentality - this looks different. Different is less valuable in my manual. It's not updated. This is bad. The rest of the homes in the hood are traditional ranches and bungalows that sold for $###,### so this house must be worth less than that.

What happens is MCM buyers and sellers get screwed. Buyer makes an offer. Seller accepts. Now the appraiser comes in and pisses all over everything. The house appraises below the offer. The buyer now can't get the loan for the amount they were willing (and approved) to pay.

Nuff said.

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Gorgeous home! That appraiser is nuts. :P If the banks were smart, they'd have an appraiser or two on their staff that specialize in modern homes - the realtors who specialize in those properties seem to do just fine, even in a down market.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks, all. I think the funniest part about it all was that the appraiser was a very hip looking dude. Trendy slim glasses frames, designer shoes -- I thought he might just "get" the house. So while I do agree with egg that the fans of MCM homes are typically design-oriented or even fashion-forward, the inverse does not necessarily apply!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”