Nicely executed MCM home additions (examples)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Nicely executed MCM home additions (examples)

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:27 am

I was wondering if anyone had photos/examples/stories of nicely executed MCM home additions. If we're to accept the statement that not all of MCM homes were 'born perfect', it seems that there must be times when doing an addition or some other form of major floor plan modification is wholly appropriate. We've dedicated a lot of well deserved time on this board to discussing the many terrible additions and other full scale tear-ups that get perpetrated on MCMs*, and there are also some examples of nice ones scattered around the forum too. However, my search didn't uncover any specific threads fully dedicated to the subject. Thought it would make for an interesting point of discussion!

*In particular, see Lottaliving's alternately hilarious and tragic "100 ways" thread... http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3647&highlight=100+ways
You are born modern, you do not become so.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Kemper Res. by William S. Beckett Addition by Ward Haylett

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:54 am

Good point Egg MCMuffin! Since I am the guilty party who started the 100 list I will kick off the Nicely Executed MCM Additions list.

House from the Street

Entry

Back of House

Addition

Kemper Residence by William Sutherland Beckett by Ward Haylett

The residence that California Architect, William S. Beckett designed for his brother-in-law and sister-in-law, James and Mildred Kemper, in Kansas City used much of the same design vocabulary as the Raymond Evans Residence in Beverly Hills. The exterior materials were redwood, brick, glass and stucco. Like the Evans house, the Kemper Residence uses curved walls for architectural effect, with the entry door falling between the curved wall and the orthogonal house.

In true California fashion, many of the exterior materials were used on the interior to blur the inside-outside relationships of the house. The interiors were done with a fireplace and some exterior walls in brick, juxtaposed against plaster and redwood walls and ceilings. The house also featured some of Beckett’s signature built-in millwork room dividers.

Mildred decided to add on to the house after the birth of their fourth child in 1956. The Kempers hired local KC Architect, Ward Haylett and an addition was completed somewhere around 1960. The resulting addition on the back of the house allowed every child to have their own bedroom and bath. As part of the addition, a covered exterior space was enclosed to add a new large dining area.

As with many Beckett designed Houses, the Kemper home was photographed by Julius Shulman, but the photographs that remain were test shots of the late construction phases of the house taken on 10/20/1952. One can assume that Shulman photographed the home while here shooting photos of one of the other Beckett designed projects, either one of two Commerce Banks, or the Cricket West shop on the Country Club Plaza. These Kansas City projects were photographed by Shulman and are published in his three volume tome, Julius Shulman Modernism Rediscovered. No Shulman photos were found of the finished Kemper home.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:57 am

Just in case your Search did not pick this one -- a detailed account of an addition to a Gregory Ain

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3953&highlight=mar+vista
scowsa

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Hey R-us, what a great detailed post! One of the things I like about nicely done additions is that they are difficult to identify (they look like they were there all along). Thanks for the nice examples in this vein.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”