Vote on our floor!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Vote on our floor!

Postby Panton-ite » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 am

These are 'before' pics obviously. The curtains, ceiling fans, and light fixtures are going bye-bye. We are going to rip up the carpet and install VCT. The question is: do we go with WHITE or BLACK VCT? I love the black, but I wonder if it would be too dark because the living room doesn't get tons of natural light (getting rid of the curtains will help). We are thinking white is the way to go. Next to the living room is a huge entry foyer with original 50's black flagstone floor. I wonder if it would be weird to have black VCT next to black flagstone. Also, whatever we use in the living room will go in the bedrooms as well. WHAT'S YOUR VOTE?

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:57 am

Are you going to have a solid black VCT? If you are, don't; not even Felix Unger could keep it clean. Like a black car, it shows everything, you'll discover even spiders have footprints! (joke) I did it once and regretted it!
Just a thought, but how about something like this:

For black there's a nice speckle that Gabby LOVES:

or this:

A light gray hides SCRATCHES very well, but if you don't plan to actually live in the house, you won't scratch it when you walk on it...
Just a thought,
Slim

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 am

I vote for white. As you point out, the room seems a bit dark and the ceilings not that high. I think a light color will work better to brighten and enlarge the feeling of the room. Great looking house BTW!

Also wondering if it is possible that he drywall on the ceiling is not as originally intended (dropped ceiling?) Have you looked to see what you have underneath?
Visit my Blog

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:01 am

I have 1240 sqft of black. I like it. it goes with the overall color scheme nicely.

But, it I were to do it over, I'd go for white.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40957062@N ... ol-eichler

IMHO (like I have ever had one of those), I would consider Armstrong STANDARD EXCELON IMPERIAL TEXTURE. I went with Classic Black
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... m_id=47164

All of the STANDARD EXCELON IMPERIAL TEXTURE whites are OK, but I think I like Classic White
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... m_id=47165

VCT is great, inexpensive, but does require maintenance. depending on traffic, dust mop 1-2 times/week, wet mop ever two weeks. It takes me about an hour to dust mop the whole house, 2 hours to dry and wet mop. probably polish annually, though I have not done that since installation 5 years ago.

Black also show scratches in the wax much easier too, but they buff out.

If I could afford it, I would go with cork through out.
Last edited by Joe on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Becky P
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Becky P » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:57 am

I would go for a white or gray in that room, but speckled.

Fantastic house, can't wait to see after pics at some point! :)

Becky

Becky P
Modern Fan

Postby Becky P » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 am

By the way, Slim...that red, white and pink extravaganza 3 pics down in your post...well, my mouth is hanging open, lol. I LOVE that floor! Is that from an old decorating book or a flooring catalog? I want a 50's red and white kitchen someday and now that floor will be stuck in my mind as the ultimate. :wink:

Becky

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 pm

I have black (hardwood) floors. I will never ever do that again. Looks great when it's clean. Except it never is clean.

If those windows don't get direct sunlight, I think your room would look too dark, even with those heavy curtains not in the equation.

That blue and orange exterior color combination is great, by the way.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:22 pm

It's a cryin' shame that they don't do the same colors as the old asbestos tiles, they have speckles now as opposed to being streaked or shot-through with colors. I collect the old asbestos tiles to do artwork with because the colors are so vivid. Now days, you can kinda fake it, but the old stuff looks so much nicer: I've seen some with five different colors and they look amazing! When I was growing up, one of our bathrooms had shell-pink with white and black in it, ughughughugh, maybe that's why I painted my car that way!

Um, what if you did a light gray with white, as checkers or stripes: only a thought? Oh, BTW if you get a good floor buffer, you don't have to wax the tiles as much, they pull a nice gloss if you do it every few months.

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 pm

honestly, I don't think gray VCT looks good at all. too cold and industrial. the white variations from Armstrong have black, gray, beige, and green specs in them to give a light tint. I would lean towards warm tints rather than cold tints.

Yes, Slim, I do like the patterns in the older tiles better. my original Matco VAT was black and beige:

I really like Stephen's original Matco VAT tile he recently discovered:

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm voting on the white as well. Awaiting after pics.

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 pm

speckle grey.

speckle white if you must?

definitely not black

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Well, I was going to refer you to this thread:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14907

Then I realized it is also yours. It has photos of the Azrock product that is more veiny like the original stuff rather than speckled. That look comes from old fashion linoleum. I once saw a This Old House where they visited a factory in Great Britain that still makes linoleum. The veins are created by pressing strips of colors together. Real linoleum is made from all natural materials. One of which is linseed oil. It is very expensive. So is natural rubber flooring. Both hold a shine on their own with little care or products. I do like Classic-forms idea of just using wood floor finnish instead of waxing if you do go with VCT. A water based poly I bet. Really easy to apply, does not yellow and can be renewed easily. However, if you have never lived on a concrete slab, then you may want to look into cork. Any give you can get will be welcomed in the long run. And cork is very MCM. It also holds up much better than you would think. I toured a bunch of early post war houses and many had their original cork in good shape. Of course the easiest to care for is just raw concrete. Wet mop an done!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:54 pm

I do like the azrock tile classic form mentioned

the 310 black looks good too.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:54 pm

MMMMM, cork...

Ughughugh, mmmmm, coooork...

What the... how did that get in there? Sorry!

Slim

modernmecca
Modern Socialite

Postby modernmecca » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Definitely white.

Can't wait to see the after photos.

Best,

~Claudia
Claudia Andrade-Desbiens
http://www.ModernMecca.com
Home Staging • Model Homes • Interior Branding
Los Angeles • Orange County • Palm Springs
http://twitter.com/ModernMecca
http://facebook.com/ModernMecca

blinkbeforebeauty
Modern Socialite

Postby blinkbeforebeauty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:44 pm

absolutely white. imho, the room is going to be way too dark with the black vct.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 pm

white all the way.

SleazyG
Modern Fan

Postby SleazyG » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:56 pm

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 am

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 am

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

UPDATE

Postby Panton-ite » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:52 am

First of all, we CLOSED yesterday and everything went great.

I think I mentioned before that the original VAT is under the carpet that we are going to remove. The VAT here is not like the cool stuff in Cliff Mays; this stuff is puke brown with puke speckles. I'm going to lay new classic white VCT over the original VAT. Some people have told me that I need to lay 1/4 inch luan over the VAT to create a smooth surface for the VCT. Some people have said that the VAT is smooth enough and that the seams won't show through.

ANY IDEAS? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this thing!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 am

I suggest removing the old tile. If you are on a concrete slab, tile over that.

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Postby Bosa Nova » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 am

My gut says white.

However, this is a big job. Would you consider buying a box of each color, laying them out side by side and just living with it for a week or two? :idea:

I know it seems odd but for the extra cost of a box or two of tile, which could be used elsewhere, you may be surprised by the final choice.

I once placed a paint color chart in front of a commercial entrance to see how the various colors looked when dirty. The problem was that customers kept sidestepping the chart fearing that they should not walk on it. You know about the best laid plans…in the end the color that showed the least dirt won and I was pleased.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Most Home Depots have basic whites, a gray and black that you can buy by the tile.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:23 pm

UPDATE:

I demo'ed all the carpet and carpet pad in the house yesterday. 2 discoveries were made.

1.) Original pristine oak floors in immaculate condition under carpet in two bedrooms and a hallway. We had NO idea!

2.) Original VAT is in not-so-great shape. Apparently the basement had some water damage at some point because the tile is peeling and moldy. The tile in the living area and dining room upstairs is much better, but still has to come out. The tile is coming up this Thursday by an asbestos abatement company. Getting back down to the concrete slab will be better in the long run (good call, Joe). I'll post pics later this week.

Hopefully next weekend I'll be laying new classic white VCT!

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

UPDATE

Postby Panton-ite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:22 pm

We have been doing tons of work. The new classic white VCT is in and looks killer! Here's a short list of some of this month's projects: kitchen cabinets are getting refinished, new lighting, new appliances, new paint, sealing original granite walls, restoring original mahogany paneling, clearing some of the jungle (AKA front yard)...

I'll be taking so new photos this weekend and posting for all to see. Feel free to follow me on photobucket, where there are a ton more pics:

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/ajmod/

xquisite
Modern Groupie

Postby xquisite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Pantone-ite, great job! The VCT looks FABULOUS; I think you chose very well.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Panton-ite, your photos are not showing up in your old posts and the link in your latest one sends me to photobucket, but not your page.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 am

This gives you an idea what some VCT and a little paint can do. Obviously, the painting, trim, and lighting isn't done....but you get the idea.

Egads, follow the link and click on "new house" album to your left. There are then 3 different albums under "new house" (one with before closing pics, one with reno pics, and one with exterior paint ideas)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:36 am

looks good!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”