How do I strip paint off frosted glass?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vespamike
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How do I strip paint off frosted glass?

Postby vespamike » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

I live in the LBC Cliff May tract and the former owners painted over the mistlight glass between the Jack and Jill bedrooms. I want to remove the paint but I am a little paranoid about breaking the glass with a heat gun or fumes from paint thinner. (my daughters room is one of the rooms.)
Any info or help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 am

I have had very good luck with a citrus based stripper that rinses with water.
This is the brand I used:
Motsenbocker's Lift Off

It is important to wait for it to work and at the same time, not allow it to dry out. If the previous owners where really stupid and painted the rough side, plan on many repeated attacks. Use a plastic bristle brush. Being repeatedly gentle will save the glass like a rough attack won't.

If your daughter is very young, you might consider using a clear film on the smooth side to hold the glass together in case of breakage. It is NOT tempered! As you may know either from here or the Ranchos site, replacement glass is hard to come by. But those that have found it, have had it cut and then tempered for safety.

Good luck!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:45 am

OH, if they did paint the rough side, you might try one of the strippers that you apply and then place some netting into, wait for it to dry, and then "lifts" the paint off in sheets. However, that stuff is made to remove a century's worth of paint from wood.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 pm

paint stripper that works on glass. automotive?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 pm

I actually used the Lift Off on Mistlite glass. I replaced the Mistlite in my "front" doors with clear tempered. (my grandson had tripped and hit his head on one of the panes. He broke it but luckily did not even cut himself) I went ahead and stripped the edges of the three remaining pieces before storing them. Those pieces, two upper and one lower are available, free, to any of my neighbors.

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 pm

We had paint on the textured side of our mistlite above the closets between the jack and jill bedrooms. Not fully covered, it looked like it had been painted once and the previous owners gave a shot at stripping the paint, but gave up. I got great results by using citrustrip and a scotch brite pad. It goes on like spray paint, then just work it into the texture with the scotch brite pad. After the Citrustrip, Windex worked fine to get it like new.

If your glass has a lot of paint on it (totally opaque) I'd try Peel Away 6. I used this on our birch cabinetry and it does a good job of lifting several layers at a time. I haven't tried it on glass, but I bet it would work. Both of these products are "safe".

No thinner, no heat gun... those sound like trouble to me.

BTW, our vertical pane between the jack and jill bedrooms was cracked and I replaced that with a tempered piece of mistlite I bought from Paul's Glass on Anaheim in Long Beach. I've since heard that they can no longer get it in the length you'll need, but it's worth a call. Maybe their supplier has it once again. Good luck.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 pm

I recent research says Mistlite is no longer available at 96" high. That included a call to Paul's in Anaiheim and they verified with their source.

Actually the original obscure glass in the Cliff May prefabs is not Mistlite, it's Factrolite. It's still available in 96". I have a piece coming from BC soon. about 2.5x the cost of Mistlite, though. basically same stuff.

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:08 pm

I've been down this road. In a big way. Check out this post discussing the joys of removing paint and Liquid Nail from our textured interior clerestory windows:

http://www.atomicindy.com/2009/05/mid-c ... or-of.html

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”