Met Home mag goes MCM

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Met Home mag goes MCM

Postby scowsa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:21 pm

One for newstand browsing.

The Sept. issue of Metropolitan Home features a Marin County Eichler with very modern furniture choices and a LA canyon-based Cliff May restored by Marmol Radziner, furnished in more of an MCM style.
scowsa

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:04 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am

It's all right here to see and read:

"...Radziner and his partner, Leo Marmol, have renovated a number of houses by California’s midcentury masters. Some of them, like Neutra’s Kaufmann House in Palm Springs, are icons that deserve to be preserved as built. Then there are houses like this one, Radziner says, “that are not so iconic that they can’t be touched.”

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks home-boy

Here's the Eichler article on the same site
scowsa

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:26 am

so Radziner is the judge and jury for what gets preserved? sure, ultimately the client/owner determines the fate of the home, but that quote comes off rather arrogant.

If this was a tract home, that would be on thing, but since this is a custom designed, widely published house on the national register, I whole heartily disagree.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:48 am

Met Home used to be a pretty interesting magazine. The impression I get is that, when Dwell sort of "blew up" sometime around 2003, Met Home made the decision to cut toward the mainstream (presumably because there wasn't a large enough perceived audience for two such magazines in the "modern home" market segment). The result, was a magazine that didn't seem to really appeal very strongly to anyone. I know a lot of former subscribers... Dwell, by contrast (and whatever you may think of the product), seems to have cemented a strong core of readers and built a real brand.

Hopefully, this latest article is an indication that Met Home is ready to get back into the fray in some fashion. My opinion is that Dwell, which does some good work and even champions the virtues of MCMs from time to time, has far too dominant a voice in the "mainstream modernist" conversation at the moment and could use some competition.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:47 am

scowsa

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm

I don't like absolutes... ...usually :wink:. I also don't think there should be a media forum of any type that gives "the" definitive word on a given subject. This is very different than being the "leading" publication in a field of interest. At it's most harmless, a singular voice on a subject creates a lack of originality and at it's most harmful it leads to actual fascism (I think we're probably pretty safe from this in the realm of pop-modern design, but you get my point). Am I the only one who's noticed that Dwell (who does do some good work, as I've said before) never engages in any meaningful critique of the projects they cover? The reason is because they're the only one's really talking about this stuff to a mass audience, and they get to take the position that what they're showing you is what's good. end. of. discussion.

The reason we have such singular and definitive publications at present in the realm of modern design is that the market has been too small to really fragment and nitch. However, good design is getting both cheaper and more popular, and I think the related media is primed to grow to include more voices. Keep in mind that ten years ago there were essentially no main stream media sources on the subject of modern design that had significant distribution.

Scowsa, I do agree with your "show home" comment in some respects:
The furniture in the living room of the Eichler is preposterous. I'm very tired of seeing the loooow coffee table look (some of my friends have even bought them, unfortunately). My work requires me to understand ergonomics so maybe I'm not 100% objective, but I would think even a minimally observant person would note that the coffee table needs to be near the same height as the seating surfaces because when it's set considerably lower you run into the small design problem that "people don't bend like that" and sometimes one would like to retrieve a cup of real actual coffee from it's resting place on the table surface. The kitchen has goofy counter tops and dumb bar stools, and represents an interpretation of modern that is pretty far from MCM, but flows well enough that it mostly just looks "sort of okay" to me.

The furniture in the Marmol Radziner-ized Cliff May looks fine. Some of it is a little frumpy (giant sectional suede couch, etc) and certainly isn't period, but I would say the home is largely set up for living in. There is an Eames lounge overtly thrown in as a nod to the home's period, but the effect comes off as ham handed and could only have been made more cliche if the lounge had been staged opposite a couple of Barcelona chairs and a Noguchi table (these are all iconic pieces that I like, but seriously, why always with the Eames Lounge?!?). The overall product, according to the article, is (1) what the client asked for and (2) was extracted from an already heavily modified home, so I'm fine with it.

Regardless, if Met Home is willing to cover these kinds of homes, I'm willing to tolerate them taking baby steps with regard to 'deep dives' into the design (need to do a little better than the "what the pros know" blurb at the end of each article :) ). If they keep doing doing so, I might even subscribe again.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”