best neighborhoods

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

best neighborhoods

Postby nichols » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:21 pm

A certain media organization I work for is looking for the "10 best neighborhoods you've never heard of" in Los Angeles County for an upcoming story. They should have multiple features, maybe they're near nature or they're historic or have a great festival and neighborhood organizations... oh, and a NAME.

Here are a few I've looked at:
Lincoln Place, Venice
Balboa Highlands (Eichlers), Granada Hills
Old Bank District, Downtown
Crestwood Hills, Brentwood

So, if anybody is interested, care to submit candidates?

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:00 pm

Franklin Hills! Beautiful, well-maintained area between Silver Lake and Los Feliz with amazing Spanish Revival homes from the 20s through incredible mid-century modern homes... diverse, close to Griffith Park, home to the historic Shakespeare Bridge and the John Lautner-designed LILA french school... the best unheard of neighborhood in all of LA... let the flaming begin!

spinolio
Modern Groupie

Postby spinolio » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:39 pm

Mt Washington! Bike and hiking trails 5 minutes from Downtown. 20's cabins, 50's and 60's modern masterpieces, and neighbors you know and like.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:02 am

Anything more tightly focused? Like the "?" district of Mt. Washington...
Right now I'm very interested in the North East area (Highland Park, etc.) to Alhambra corridor... Like Mt. Angelus in Highland Park...

THANKS

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:52 pm

Mount Olympus?
Rustic Canyon in Santa Monica

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:13 pm

Chris, don't forget about Bungalow Heaven in Pasadena:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bhna/areamap.html

chb
Modern Socialite

Postby chb » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:31 pm

The S. San Rafael neighborhood in Pasadena...it has an interesting mix of architecture in a natural setting of the lower Arroyo. Mansions by the likes of Paul Williams, Marston & Mayberry and Reginald Johnson, Case Study House No. 10 (Kemper Nomland) and some great 50's modern homes as well as traditional, Spanish and Craftsman. There's even a lake, albeit private (you can get glimpse and feed the ducks through the fence on Laguna Rd). In the San Rafael hills are Neutra's Perkins House and homes by Buff & Hensman (including, I believe, the Buff residence) and Harwell Harris.

retrocool
Modern Master

Classic homes

Postby retrocool » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:26 pm

Orange Estates in Downey. Good people and schools Classic homes from the 30's through 50's. It is like you have stepped back in time. It also includes the Rives Mansion which looks like a plantation house from the South. It was built in 1911. It is a state Historic Landmark.
For those of you who are interested Downey schools where built in the late 50's early 60's modern style.

Have a good day.

khummer
Modern Master

Glendora, CA

Postby khummer » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:34 pm

It is a mix of the old world - Craftsmen and Victorian and slew of Mid-Century Modern winners. Lots of old car shows, farmer's market during the summer, and just that 'pride of the foothills'. Quiet but colorful Main Street. Super annual Home Tour sponsored by the local hospital volunteer group. Great hiking trails that are maintained by a city government commission - The Trail Commission. How many city's have that!?! Even the Mayor is a regular on the trails.

Route 66 is on everyone's radar here, and the former Alosta Avenue was even changed to reflect this city's boom time. Known for its school system, Glendora has also great horticultural history with Monrovia Nursery and Rainbird having roots here. Glendora also has one of the only plants listed on the National Register - an impressive Bougainvillea. There really isn't too many giant corporations here, just a ton of homes and small creative retailers.

It's like if you leave it, you somehow come back. I did. You seem to know everyone in a matter of minutes. Oddly enough, I think Glendorans are so isolated that they have their own accent.

There you go... kh

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:01 pm

Ahhhh Rainbird...

ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry I couldn't resist reliving that magical moment on your tour Kathy!
Glendora's a winner!

khummer
Modern Master

Glendora

Postby khummer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:34 am

I got a great laugh out of the typed sprinkler noise...

(: kh

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:39 pm

Oh - I know it's too late Chris, but I just thought of another good Valley hood - for next year's list. There's a great little district of Melanthan homes in Studio City - darling 1950s homes with bird houses in the roofs and they have a pretty active neighborhood - with 4th of July parade and family-oriented halloween events. remind me next year ok?

SkipHome
Modern Master

courtyard apts of west hollywood

Postby SkipHome » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:19 am

i would nominate the streets between sunset and fountain, from fairfax to la cienega. here you find a great selection of spanish revival courtyard apts. but also many examples of sometimes lavish midcentury apt. buildings. many were designed by edward fickett.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:09 am

Ganesha Hills, Pomona

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:55 am

An area I'd like to live in is Hastings Ranch in Pasadena because I'd like to put up elaborate Winster Solstice decorations that a lot of people would enjoy.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:55 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”