Need redwood advice on outdoor finish, Midwest zone!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
donsof1
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need redwood advice on outdoor finish, Midwest zone!

Postby donsof1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:39 am

Hi
I recently got into a lumber yard with enough redwood to do my house soffit with. Since its hanging like an upside down deck, what is the best way to maintain that just power washed look? Would no finish at all cause a problem? I think it should stay dry, and its not being hit with direct sunlight, so I think it will keep its color. The overhangs are 36 inches, and the redwood is tounge and groove, 1 x 6 boards, mostly clear of knots, and heart of the tree redwood. What a NOS find!

Its quite a site to see this much redwood, and the finished job is looking very elegant. I hope to do the best long term coating possible. What happens to an older Eichler with redwood? Does it darken to black or fade to a light color?

I had one friend recommend the spar varnish for boats... sounds too shiny to me. I also looked at clear finishes, from Pittsburgh paint.

any suggestions are welcome!
Don

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:00 pm

See the last page/last section of this pdf from CA Redwood Assoc.

scowsa

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:34 pm

I refinish doors and entryways for a living, so I have a little experience. I would give you 2 suggestions (my 2 cents):

1.) Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane in a satin or semi-gloss finish. Available at Home Depot or Lowes.

2.) Epifanes Marine Varnish. It only comes in high-gloss. They also make a satin product that you can use as a last coat (after several coats of high-gloss) to give it a less-shiny look. This stuff is more expensive and you'll have to order it off the web, but it's more than worth it. I just refinished some patio furniture for a client with Epifanes. His patio set should withstand nuclear holocaust! Epifanes will also require less maintenance than the Minwax. I buy Epifanes from Jamestown Distributors online.

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 am

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I did a search of the forum after I did this new post, and found an older one that SDR added some thoughts.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=redwood

I realize it will probably be able to withstand the elements, and not lose too much color. But it would probably be better to give it a coating. Like SDR says "its better to give it some protection"

I had some recycled redwood beams, that I turned into patio framework a few years back. They were very dark, and I worked on multiple ways to bring the red back on them. I tried oxalyic bleach, regular bleach, and lots of power washing, then finally just planing down. I eventually found that CWF's redwood stain, made the old wood look more red than any coating. I did at one point make a test with boiled linseed oil, but that just made the wood look black!

One thing that bothers me with some coatings like CWF, is that they will peel away if exposed to freeze and thaw conditions in the midwest. That will happen on porch surfaces from snow-ice-freezing rain. That is a pain because then you are stripping wood again later.

The items I am doing now are nice and new looking.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:16 am

Just a 1/2 cent thought. And i thought you may be continuing your
research...

Doing some samples until you decide? Out of the weather and sun, you
will not have too much change in the wood for a year? I prefer it in its natural
state, but all wood will change without some protection.

My home is all cedar, ye olde 50yrs. I've sampled a few things and read 100's
on the net and you will see many methods :? and advice. Some good.

I also have a deep overhang. The boards still look fresh (ish) compared to the
siding. Hard to tell if they were ever protected with a finish.

I did put linseed on my deck built-in seat surround and railing. It always looked
better in the rain so i didn't mind the darkening and it will be replaced when the
next tree falls on it. I just can't seem to get to it until then...

Benny Moore makes a Dead Flat varnish that i like and my tests on garage side
did not seem to change the wood tone at all. (the spring and summer in NY was
so wet i put all that on hold.) It needs a long cure time.

My 1/2 cent is just moral support i suppose :) .

donsof1
Modern Fan

Postby donsof1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Here is a sample look, I am still applying the materials still today.

I still have molding left to apply, and probably should have went with the brown gutters two years ago. Who would have guessed that I would be finding this much California gold?

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”