Jones and Emmons in Las Vegas

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 pm

i will answer the cliff may on your other thread you started.

as far as J&E homes - joe - how did i miss that comment on this old thread???
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:45 am

um, you didn't read it? :wink:

here's what I said on EN. I thought I had reported it here too. I am sure you have seen these homes. Not too far from your pad. I believe I counted about 50.

"Last Spring I did discover a neighborhood of Jones & Emmons designed homes north of E. Sahara between Maryland and Eastern. these are 1100 sqft post and beam home built by Pardee-Philips. Called the Forever Home, Won AIA awards.

not too bad an area. I'd consider one for a vacation home."

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:50 am

no - somehow i missed that one...
do you have a link to EN thread?

how do you know for sure that they're J&E?

this is an incredibly exciting development!!!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Futura Girl wrote:no - somehow i missed that one...
do you have a link to EN thread?

how do you know for sure that they're J&E?

this is an incredibly exciting development!!!

there's not much on the EN thread. I am certain they are the Jones & Emmons homes built by Pardee-Philips. Actually, one of the streets in the development is named "Pardee." These are the smaller homes with signature Jones concrete block fronts. I think I counted around 220. There are several photos of them in the Jones & Emmons book, Builders' Homes for Better Living. I posted an image of these on here about 5 years ago.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa ... 8&t=h&z=18

I am surprised you have not seen these as they are not far from your pad(s)

another note: The J&E book shows a community center with pool, designed by Jones (Shulman photo). I do not see any center in this development. perhaps it was redeveloped or there is another J&E Pardee Philips development with this center.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Interesting development! I spent a good amount of time Google Street Viewing that neighborhood while hunting around for the Cliff Mays. I knew there was something striking about this neighborhood as well. No idea they were J&E designed, though. Nice! I'll have to swing through there next time I'm in LV.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:49 am

for years, i ALWAYS KNEW these homes were really special. we now live part time in one!!! i am typing from inside a jones and emmons home. sigh....
(no more "pads" joe - collapse of the vegas real estate market took care of that :( ) but as my signature goes - we had a real swinging time!!!

i do not have that J&E book - i just have cory bruckner's jones book and it mentions pardee homes, but not vegas. there was a thread on the community center and pool on very vintage vegas i just responded to...
http://veryvintagevegas.com/2009/02/14/ ... /#comments

i have searched for your thread with the pics - can't find it... arg.....
i gotta get that book - anyone know where i can find it?

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 am

I'm thinking that the book Joe is referring to may be "Builders Homes For Better Living" Unfortunately, this book is not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Builders-Better-Living-Quincy-Frederick/dp/B000EOEJPY

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 am

well, that's pretty cool, MM! I figured you no longer owned the El Ranchito and your fabulous P&K, but somehow, they'll always be yours :wink:

so, now you're in one of these Pardee-Philips J&E homes. cool! I'll try to get the images scans (yes, I am a designer without a scanner). If you have any access to the Shulman archive, you may find something too. There is also a development of Forever Homes in Fullerton, featured in the Modernism Rediscovered (shulman photography), though I cannot verify if the designs of the Vegas and Fullerton homes are the same.

Pardee-Philips was a significant merchant builder who embraced Modern design and worked with a lot of architects, including Jones & Emmons and Cliff May. Their more iconic stuff by J&E in Pacific Palisades was widely published (you'll find it in the Buckner book). P-P still exists as a builder in the San Diego area.

jesgord: that's actually a good price for the book on Amazon. I saw it on Alibris for $2500 and ebay for $1400 in the last year. I got mine off ebay in 1999 for $300. You may be able to find it in a university architectural library.
Last edited by Joe on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

VinnyVegas
Modern Fan

Postby VinnyVegas » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:35 am

Joe--In that other thread you write:

"These Pardee-Philips homes and community center was designed by Jones & Emmons (of Eichler fame). Julius Shulman photographed the homes and center."

--& those Shulman pix are in the book you cite in this thread?

VinnyVegas
Modern Fan

Postby VinnyVegas » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 am

I lived in that neighborhood for a few years (am now renting the house)--sadly, there've been LOTS and LOTS of bad renovations, in particular the stuccoing over of surfaces, ranging from clerestory windows to entire houses....would love to see original/early pictures....

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:11 am

VinnyVegas wrote:
--& those Shulman pix are in the book you cite in this thread?

yes. someone with access to Shulman's archive or Getty could probably find them and more not published in the book.

there is also a home magazine out there with an article on using masonry on homes and has several photos of these homes, including interior shots. not sure if I still have it :? I think it was a House & Home.

I know these houses are not in the greatest of shape, but sometimes all it take is a couple fix ups on a street to turn things around. I remember touring the LBC Rancho neighborhoods 5-6 years ago and was rather unimpressed. Same for several Rummer neighborhoods in PDX area. My Cliff May was a bank repo and abandoned for almost two years.

what are these houses in this neighborhood selling for?

VinnyVegas
Modern Fan

Postby VinnyVegas » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:07 am

This is Las Vegas, they're not selling......
:( :cry:
3/1.5, 1200 sq feet--you could get a foreclosure for under 50K
Or something in nice shape for not much over 100K.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:24 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Don Drummond gave me his copy of the Jones and Emmons book. And I have a scanner. What am I looking for and I will scan it!

Is this the same J&E design that was built by Pardee in Fullerton, CA. The House that Home Built was supposed to be in the same neighborhood as othe J&E designed / Pardee built homes in Fullerton, CA.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:49 am

we're baaaack... in the AQJ home again!!!

if anyone uncovers any more on these fabulous pads, please keep this thread posted.

and if anyone was ever considering a vacation home in vegas - these are pretty fun to fix up.

ALSO, see my other thread in the real estate forum - we have a AQJ unit available for rent.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Futura Girl wrote:we're baaaack... in the AQJ home again!!!

if anyone uncovers any more on these fabulous pads, please keep this thread posted.

and if anyone was ever considering a vacation home in vegas - these are pretty fun to fix up.

ALSO, see my other thread in the real estate forum - we have a AQJ unit available for rent.

hey MM, I'll be in Vegas next weekend, I'd like to see this J&E if you're not too busy :)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Good to see some familiar faces and some signs of life.

What page are we talking about in the BH for BL?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Joe wrote:hey MM, I'll be in Vegas next weekend, I'd like to see this J&E if you're not too busy :)

man - we keep missing each other! i am in town now, but heading back to l.a. on thursday. our house is rented out this weekend. cary will e back mid next week.

i have a friend who is living at the AQJ, though and if you want... he can show you around. i hope you like my Raymond Lowey parabolic counters!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Futura Girl wrote:
man - we keep missing each other! i am in town now, but heading back to l.a. on thursday. our house is rented out this weekend. cary will e back mid next week.

i have a friend who is living at the AQJ, though and if you want... he can show you around. i hope you like my Raymond Lowey parabolic counters!

I'll wave to you on the freeway :wink:

if your friend doesn't mind, that would be cool. shoot me some details.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”