Another Fort Worth MCM gem

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Another Fort Worth MCM gem

Postby fwmodern » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:59 am

I was invited here by a new neighbor who stopped by to compare house notes earlier today. Thanks for telling me about this great resource, 1963modern1. Our houses were both built by the same family so we're looking forward to comparing/contrasting the 2 properties.

Here's a little slideshow of my house. It's still very much a work in progress but we're very pleased to live here. It was based on a design found in Good Housekeeping magazine. It's sister house in Houston and the architect, Lars Bang, got the "best small house" design award in 1954 for being "most dramatically modern." The original house is still alive and well and being restored by a Houston architect. Any way, here's my project house:

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:45 pm

That is a great house. Are the garage doors an original design?
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 pm

I think that the garage doors are decidedly not original. I have the original plans and magazine article w/ pics of a carport and a covered atrium but I am unable to operate the scanner so I'll have hubby do it tomorrow.

If I were a total purist, I'd rip them out but the owners did do a really good job of matching them to suit the rest of the house. They copied the front door's detail for the medallions and honestly, I can not imagine having a giant glass wall at the front of my house. Too much temptation for thieves and such. As it sits, people are confused by our house and I see that as a good thing!

The iron work is also not original to the house. I think they added it when my neighbor's house was built in the 60's. The family probably got some sort of package deal, even though the designs are different.

BTW, I am also a former bungalow enthusiast turned MCM enthusiast. (noting your signature there)

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 am

very nice.

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to meeting with you again.
Forgot to mention that when we lived in Houston gregg had met Lars Bang while we were researching our home there.
You have a very unique piece of property and cannot wait to see it in person!

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks, Eric. I may try to stop by your place this evening if you'll be around.

I scanned the magazine article and put it on my photo bucket link but I can't get the scans to enlarge much. If anyone has advice on how to make them bigger, please let me know.

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

Here is a slideshow of a few before shots. I wish I'd taken more but this gives a general idea of the state of the entire place when we bought it. I also included the magazine scans that you can't really see or read.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/ ... 1250796585

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Love the house-particularly the atrium. Great carved door and is that a Erwin Hauer screen wall that I see? Wow!!!

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Great place...Feels a little different compared to your last place huh?

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm

I believe it to be a Hauer wall but I can not get anyone to return my calls at that company so I probably will never know for sure. Even if it's not, I love it and it was what made me instantly fall in love with the place.

And yes, it's a huge change from living in a bungalow. Seriously, I feel like I should be wearing makeup, a hairdo, a nice dress and heels while cleaning my house now.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Nice place! Really like how the natural light spills down over the fireplace.

I gotta check in with Lotta Livin' more often! Seems our Fort Worth MCM fan base has grown by at least two since I last checked in here!
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

fwmodern2
Modern Groupie

Postby fwmodern2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:50 pm

This house is now for sale. PM if you're interested in updated pics.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”