60's era hardwood floors?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paulv
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

60's era hardwood floors?

Postby paulv » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:00 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Our previous 1959 ranch and our current 1962 MCM both have oak.
Allison

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 am

Oak here, stained dark, 1956.

I have never seen maple or birch, although I did own a '56 that had wide plank pine once upon a time.

peterm
Modern Socialite

Postby peterm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 am

If you are asking what Eicher, May, or P&K would do, I think they would rarely if ever use wood floors, rather vinyl tile over a concrete slab. Later in the sixties, many architects were specifying Italian quarry tile, brick, flagstone, slate, and other more "natural" surfaces. May did some houses with Mexican saltillo tile, which adds a southwest ranch feeling.

The most common wood used in the sixties was definitely oak. (The only maple I can remember from my youth was the floor of the school basketball court, and birch flooring, though commonly used in Scandinavia, as far as I know, was rarely used in the U.S.) By the end of the sixties, many houses had only plywood or concrete subfloors and were carpeted, with sheet flooring for baths and kitchens.

Is your house a generic ranch tract house or a modernist post and beam?

The contemporary trend for "espresso" and black stained wood floors was rarely used in the sixties.

Cork was also a common substitute for hardwood floors, as well as parquet (oak). Joe's suggestion of a clear finish which will darken over time is a good one.
space is the place

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Cliff May houses in Dallas have hardwood floors...but those houses were built in the mid 50s. I don't know much about hardwood floors so I can't tell you what kind they are. Here are some pictures though:

(temporarily off the market so I'm not sure how long the pictures will be up)

(I hate what they've done with it...but shows the hardwood floors)

Here's the house we're closing on soon:
The floors look really nice in the picture...as most floors tend to do...but there are cracks in between, etc.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”