Kitchen Faucet Advice Needed!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SleazyG
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kitchen Faucet Advice Needed!

Postby SleazyG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Help! I ordered the faucet below because I liked its minimal styling.

However, I received it yesterday and it's HUGE...about fifteen inches high! My kitchen is pretty small and I've been vigilant about scaling appliances accordingly, i.e. I'm not acquiescing to the trend of have commercial-sized appliances everywhere. In fact, the sink I ordered is only 24.75" wide.

Should I return this faucet and get something more size-appropriate? Is it obnoxious to have a huge, commercial-sized faucet?

If I do return the faucet, I'd get something like the two products listed below. They're smaller, are similar to my bathroom faucets and seem to be more mid-century compliant than the stark minimalism of the huge faucet.

Or

What should I do?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm

I've never thought of that one as huge. Simple and clean. Height is good
for larger pot fillin'. The other two look K-marty. What's all the rubber
knubby?

I'd go take a look at a large box store or kitchen retailer so you can see
the choices in person. I replaced mine with a simple stainless classic. For a
bit more style, modern, your first choice looks good. Small sink though.

(hard to assist such a creepy avitar :D )

kidding!

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Well, obviously what matters most is how you like it. Function first: if you need a taller faucet, keep the taller faucet. If it looks ungainly, send it back and get a newer one. 15" isn't ginormous. My faucet is 16" tall, and it looks right at home in my own kitchen (which is decidedly more "modern" than "mid-century" -- it definitely wouldn't work if I was going for authenticity). Of course, whether it would look too big paired with a 25" sink and in the context of your own kitchen is hard to say on principle alone. My advice: find a way to prop it up behind your sink and give it a few days. If you still find it ungainly, ditch it and go for something you'll enjoy more.

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly in love with either of the two replacement options, though given the choice I'd go with the Grohe faucet. Looks a little more refined than the other.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:35 pm

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... d=11484047

anyone spending more than $300 on a kitchen faucet has more dollars than sense, methinks.

our costco has this: http://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-Pull-Ou ... B000UO2MCU

and we love it.
Last edited by redneckmodern on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Those high arc styles tend to not retract as smoothly as one would want.
The second one, is 16" high:

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/JP/hruo0836.pdf

SleazyG
Modern Fan

Postby SleazyG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:20 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 am

not to go overboard with the costco links: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... d=11173193 ...

we didn't go with this b/c of the presumed difficulty of getting the perfectly cut/squared countertop hole. we went with a blancospex plus -- which we like a lot (and was less than $250). plus, the concern that the zero-radius design might look dated in a short while (like vessel bath sinks) was top-of-mind.

re: high-arc faucets... we don't use the pull out much, so i haven't noticed, but i can see your point (egads). in our case, the height of the faucet is nice as the wide area needed to be visually broken up and we liked the simple loop design of the handle with goes with the wire-pull on the cabinets...

http://redneckmodern.typepad.com/.share ... c00023.jpg

http://redneckmodern.typepad.com/.share ... c00025.jpg

re: costs... true, we've all spent stupid cash on stuff we wanted (thought we needed/thought that our life wouldn't be complete without). in my case it's the cost of restoring a 63 bug (which was more than the cost of a new one... ouch). but in our case, our house was never a prize from a real-estate location POV (outer-ring suburbs) and we've had to be careful on the "over-improvement" factor an have made a lot of decisions based on the cost/"do we really need the super-high-end version?" litmus test. so far, we've been quite happy with the loss-leader versions... like the $200 faucet that was super similar to the $400 one the next store over.

aside: i had a co-worker tell me the other day that the reason she liked diesel t-shirts is because she knew that not many other folks would spend that kind of money on a t-shirt, so she'd be guaranteed a bit of individuality through price point alone (as opposed to gap's latest push). i found this funny: buying individuality... but i digress. big time (sorry).

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 am

Hey, Redneckmodern...not to sidetrack the topic, but you and I have the same faucet. (Assuming I'm correct in identifying that as the Hansgrohe Metro model. I, too, don't much care for the pullout's unwillingness to easily retract, but I also don't use it all that much either.)

Given the orientation of your handle (facing forward), does the hot/cold work correctly? On mine, it was backwards (had to turn the handle to the right for hot, left for cold), so I wound up turning the base 90 degree so the right. I liked the look better when it was pointed forward, but I didn't like accidentally getting my sleeves wet turning the faucet on.

Just curious.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:03 am

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Whatever you do, don't use eFaucets.com. Trust me on this one.

SleazyG
Modern Fan

Postby SleazyG » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:20 pm

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:35 pm

I have a four year old version of the Hans Grohe (purchased at the late Home Expo) that redneckmodern mentions. It's a dandy one, as far as I'm concerned albeit big. I bought a pretty -- and little -- Newport Brass faucet on my first try, but the combination of a deep sink and the little-bitty faucet made my upper back hurt. The appropriateness of sink depth and faucet height ultimately depends on the height of the user.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”