Gregory Ain's Community Homes tract in Reseda?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JCC1
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gregory Ain's Community Homes tract in Reseda?

Postby JCC1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello all,
I did a prelim search for this tract. Nothing yet. Would some kind soul shed a little light on Ain's Community Homes tract please?
Much appreciated.
JCC

JCC1
Modern Groupie

Postby JCC1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 pm

OK well I have been looking around for any new stuff on Mar Vista and Park Planned tracts. Did find a great blog for Park Planned Altadena Ain tract. Excellent reading there. Other than a few mentions among Eckbo papers there is nothing about the Community Homes tract. What gives? Was it not built?
JCC

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm

I remember SDR had some photos on his .

One quote: "Community Homes, Reseda, 1945-49, was a cooperative of 280 subscribers for 100 acres by Ain, Johnson and Day."

One other note: "FHA funding was withdrawn because minorities were among the subscribers." Did that spell the end of the project?

I remember looking around at the area previously, and being local to the area, I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult to find if all 100 acres were actually built. Time for me to go Google searching once more.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

JCC1
Modern Groupie

Postby JCC1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Perks,
Thanks for the post. I hope you find something. Will look for the photogs on flickr. SDR probably told me something about this tract before.
JCC

JCC1
Modern Groupie

Postby JCC1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:14 pm

One other note: "FHA funding was withdrawn because minorities were among the subscribers." Did that spell the end of the project?

I think this is the tract that was not built because of the LA banks.

Thanks,
JCC

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Ah, . Plans were indeed scrapped, and "standard" tract homes were later built instead.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 pm

dang - i got really excited by this thread.
when we did the valley tour - there were sooooo many pockets of great midmod homes scattered throughout the valley and just not enough hours to research all of them.

i know they can't ALL be fickets. there must be other architects that did some of these fabby homes - inquiring minds must know more.

where was the ain track planned for at least?

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:49 am

Josquin

Ain's Community Homes

Postby Josquin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 am

The community Homes project was to be on sixteen blocks in Reseda and was to include a shopping center, school and parkland. The proposed tract was between Van Owen and Victory, and White Oak and Louise Avenue.

Perks

Re: Ain's Community Homes

Postby Perks » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 am

JCC1
Modern Groupie

Re: Ain's Community Homes

Postby JCC1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:09 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”