Hoping to buy MCM in CA

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
progrocktv
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hoping to buy MCM in CA

Postby progrocktv » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am

Hi All,
Within the next year or so we're hoping to move out to CA (I'm a video editor and Colorado ain't exactly the hotbed of the industry if I decide to move on from my current job). Anyways, ideally we'd love to get a MCM home if I end up working in the LA area. I'm guessing our price range will have to max around $650,000 and have been hunting around the net to get an idea what (if) we could afford anything and have surprisingly found a couple within reach. I've seen a couple fix-er-upper Eichlers which would be a possibility but was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of areas to look? (not necessarily just Eichlers but other good MCM style architects as well, avoiding bad neighborhoods obviously) and something within a reasonable driving distance (around an hour in traffic)

Cheers!

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:58 pm

That's actually a very difficult question to answer, mainly because L.A. is so big and there are so many diverse areas of the city. They may not all be Eichlers, but L.A. is full of cool mid-century modern homes that can be gotten for under $650k. Pretty much any suburb that came of age in the '50s-'60s has a good number of them. San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Orange County, Long Beach all have a good variety. Lots of stuff that was built among the hills closer in toward the city as well (Mt. Washington, Hollywood Hills, etc.)... Once you have a general sense of where precisely you'd like to live and start looking more in-depth, you'll find plenty to choose from.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Well there

Postby modfan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 am

are the Likelers next to the Eichler tract in GH. And then search topics
here about the Living Conditioned homes at Reseda & Devonshire.
Do enough searching around here and you can find floorplans to the Granada Hills Eichler tract (Balboa Highlands) and the Living Conditioned Homes.
Last edited by modfan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

progrocktv
Modern Groupie

Postby progrocktv » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for the feedback! Most certainly an Eichler in our price range would be a "catch", but also open to any of the other good-quality MS Architects. Sounds like I have a LOT more options that originally thought which is great! (being in Colorado, good condition/affordable MS houses are few and far between, especially something with a POOL!)

Cheers! :cheers:

wbaker911
Modern Fan

Postby wbaker911 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:04 pm

I live in Montecito Heights; I would check out here, Eagle Rock and as mentioned Mt. Washington
You get a little bit more for your dollars and great views
Good Luck-

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 pm

That's bout what the Eichlers are selling for in the Orange County tracts right now.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:24 pm

you can get a Cliff May fixer in Garden Grove for 1/2 that amount. you can get a decent Palmer & Krisel for that much in the Valley, fixer Eichler in Balboa Highlands... just depends where you want to live

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Which, in Southern California, depends entirely on where you have to drive for work.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Here's a nice home in Claremont, CA

Claremont is a very nice college town about 30 miles east of downtown L.A. It was ranked #5 in Money magazines 2007 Best Places to Live.

I hope you find a place!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”