Too much White - Too much Wood? Cliff May Kitchen Remodel

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rogerT
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Too much White - Too much Wood? Cliff May Kitchen Remodel

Postby rogerT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 pm

I have been pondering the question of what is "too much white" as well as "too much wood" on my Cliff May 3212 re-do. My issues specifically are the kitchen, cabinets, countertops, and back-splash -- I have hardwood floors throughout. Plan to keep the walls/ceilings white.

Keep in mind this is an investment property which I originally intended to lease but will most likely sell given the level of updates I am putting in it. I find myself guilty of living vicariously through all of the MCM homeowners on Lotta Livin. Given that, for resell purposes I am not really considering a commitment to a bold cabinet color such as the Ikea red, yellow, etc .. as nice as they may look. I'm soliciting feedback on what the folks on here would do. I have pics but the kitchen is down to the studs at this point but I can post shortly if that would help anyone visually....did I mention my termite friends that have be loving the benefits of a leaky roof and plumbing.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

if your walls and ceilings are white, you won't have too much wood.

if you go with white cabinets, you'll be fine too.

ultimately, it's an interior design question. you need to state what you're trying to achieve. with these Cliff May open areas, you need to consider the entire space in your color choices. it all needs to work together.

also consider the color of your exposed beam. they are supposed to contrast, carrying the same color indoors and out. brown or black beams can break up large chucks of white on walls and ceiling.

rather than play interior designer, consider looking at how it was originally as a base to start.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Another thing people frequently forget with Cliff Mays is that the style of your landscaping has a big bearing on interior design as you will see much of it in the same view.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:19 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 am

I don't think white or wood cabinets would be too much. Here's a picture of the ones in my place:

I'm glad they chose flat fronts and a high gloss. I think cabinets that are not wood/wood veneer on the fronts look really bad if the color is flat. It looks cheap imo. I might not have picked white tile for the backsplash but it's much better than if they had picked a color I didn't like.

Here's another shot of the kitchen:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:04 pm

There is nothing cheap looking in a mat finish. Needless to say, the while lacquer doors were more expensive from Ikea than the white melamine ones are, the cabnet boxes are exactly the same. And do look at the link I posted, does that look cheap? My Cliff May still has it's original Birch cabinets. They were cheap. In fact, Cliff May prefabs were entry level housing.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 pm

imo=in my opinion. Just saying what I think.

I don't think yours look cheap at all, in fact, I think those in the link look better than mine. I prefer the wood look to color. I was saying that I don't like matte color cabinets. Just my opinion.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Plain matte might be what he has to do because of all the surprises he has with structure. (termites!) For instance, the 18" wide base cabinet to the right of your sink is:
$91. with the plain melamine fronts
$182 with the gloss lacquer
$125, in a plain Birch
$228. in ash veneer
$174 in stainless
There are many more options, these are just examples. The price range is pretty wide and doing the nicest could break the bank.

The link I posted is to a fellow Lotta Living member with an Eichler in Northern California. Original Birch, is highly prized here in the Long Beach tract. Here is an example of what that looks like:

http://www.ranchostyle.com/homesdetail. ... 37&iid=802

In this case the seller re-created this interior and custom built the kitchen cabinets. (apparently they only sold because of a job relocation, nobody put that much heart and work into a flip)

To get back to the "too much white?" thing; it does make a good background for art and other color splashes. A feature wall of color, paneling or grass cloth wall covering are all very MCM and would break up the white. I purposely repainted in an off white when moving into my May.I was looking for a neutral to compliment the old Birch paneling that still exists in my house. That and the whole place was done in a low gloss grayish white that just looks ghetto to me. A true art gallery FLAT! white is fine imo

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 pm

actually birch was also a feature in Dallas Cliff May's built by Leslie Hill. He even used it on the ceiling.

when I did my kitchen, part of the island wall was missing and someone had covered it in walnut paneling, the bad '60s kind. Fortunately my original birch cabinets were still intact, with s 50 year old patina. We repaneled the island with birch and added some shelves to tie-in to the living room. the match the 50 year old patina of the cabinets, I used Zinsser amber shellac.

I like the mahogany in Eichlers and the birch used by Neutra.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:17 pm

egads... thanks for the pimping ;)

fwiw, whie melamine (imho) tends to (1) take on more damage through regular use and (2) then look cheaper/dingier faster... not as much of a concern for the flipper, but if the house were a rental before it sold...

the ikea line is fundamentally very strong (ie.: "the innards" -- especially if you take care to assemble it with care (add glue to joints, use const. adhesive between boxes, etc.)... while the "skins" are variable. the high-gloss surface looks great on day one, but give it a year of wear. the nexus line (brown, brown-black and yellow-brown) is stained oak and can take a ding or two without looking cheap. other wood/wood veneers have that same "natural patina" quality. with natural wood, you can also mend pieces or easily make custom end pieces -- we faced the interior of the oven cutout with edgebanding, then stained and lacquered it (glad we did as you can see it through the oven edging).

so, it might not be a matter of "too much white", but what will look good after a bit of wear (or a few open houses... or a sloppy assembler). i'd go with natural, neutral wood.

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Roger, I have always felt that white was a boring color when used by itself. Too much white can look too sanitary and give a cold feeling. I'm a color person and like to harmonize my colors so that they compliment one another, especially cool colors like greens, grays and blues. I am no means an interior decorator, but I know what looks good to me. Sometimes I'm afraid to get too bold with color, but I like to stick to the common 1950's colors. I also like the look of natural wood in a house, whether it be doors or cabinets.

My kitchen originally had birch cabinets, and the cabinets still are, but instead of going to all the trouble of trying to restore them back to the original birch, I decided to paint them with some original 50's interior colors and two tone the walls. I happy with them, but then again someone else might feel different

I like how Joe has combined the birch woodwork in his kitchen with his white walls because it gives it an inviting warmth. When I moved into my condo, all the doors were white painted slab doors.

I knew right off hand that I wanted birch doors and eventually got them. I just think that the natural beauty of a birch, ash or oak door really gives the place a warm feeling.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”