Cliff May Cabana

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
home_boy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cliff May Cabana

Postby home_boy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 pm

I’ll be retiring at the end of this year, and everybody keeps asking me, “What are you going to do?” or “How are you going to stay busy?”
Well I think I finally have an answer. I’m going to build a Cliff May Cabana in my backyard.

I have a lot of old door and window sets that I’ve salvaged from houses around the neighborhood that have been stripped of their character by uncaring owners.

So I’ve decided to incorporate them into my design for a small shed-like structure that my wife can use as a painting studio.

It will only be about 8’ x 12'. I had more ambitious ideas with a gabled roof, but that would have been out of scale for the space I have in mind.
Besides, I’m going to try to do it without pulling permits from the city and anything larger might require one.

Anyway, here is my plan for the building.

Has anyone here ever attempted anything like this before? Maybe you could offer some suggestions and/or words of warning and/or encouragement.

I’ll keep you posted on the progress; that is if it ever gets beyond the planning stage.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm

For some ideas, check out the MD100 at

scowsa

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Check out this old thread on mcm storage sheds. My slide show is still on photobucket and may help with construction ideas. http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight=
Build it to last.

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:38 pm

I wanted to do the same thing, but for a dog house. I gave up on the dog house design when it came time to build the roof.

Cliff May elements can translate so well into a nice shed structure. Its all a grid.

If you have more windows and doors than you need, there are a few people here in Long Beach looking for original parts.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes indeed, I was salivating at all those doors!

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Very nice home_boy! If you were inclined to do so I'd bet you could sell pre-fab kits. You may already know this but usually it's the rafters that get notched to create a flat mating surface between them and the beams.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am

I have a slab laid to build something similar. mine will be little larger and have the 30 inch overhang. cool
Last edited by Joe on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”