Jalousie / Louver windows and draft reduction

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kim
Modern Master

Jalousie / Louver windows and draft reduction

Postby Kim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:01 am

It's turned cool for the first time in our 1958 hillside home in LA, and the plethora of vintage louvered windows throughout the house are letting in such a draft, I mistakenly tried to crank one that was already shut.

I believe the louvers are original to the house, and so there must be a way of living with them without freezing. They add such a handsome horizontal element to the lines of the house, and were very convenient during the heat wave, so I'm not looking to swap them out for something more weatherproof unless the alternative is misery.

Can anyone recommend appropriately modern window coverings that will work well to block drafts but are easy to move aside when light/air are desired? Can louvers be made more firmly seated?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I dunno

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am

If they can be more firmly seated putting seals around each piece would probably be very very complicated and expensive. I think that's why these kinds of window replacments are pretty much non existent now for that reason and it's probably horribly expensive to make them dbl paned.
Kinda sad, I liked the look too, and it was flexible enough so you could choose screen inside or screen outside.

Kim
Modern Master

on closer inspection...

Postby Kim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 am

Walking around in daylight I find that the drafty louvers are not entirely vertical when closed, so there is a gap of up to an inch between each fully cranked pane. Surely there must be some way of properly adjusting louvers so they set properly... but how? I don't want to start futzing and have panes break off in my hands!

spaceman1961
Modern Fan

Weatherproofing jalousie windows

Postby spaceman1961 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am

Kim - Do a search on 'jalousie" in this forum. If memory serves me correctly someone else had the same problem, and another homeowner had a great solution, which he detailed within his post. It involved securing sheets of plexiglass (or a similar clear material) that had been cut to fit the window opening on the inside of the window. The sheets could then be easily removed when the weather was warmer, and did not spoil the view when they were in place, either. I hope this helps. Good luck!

spaceman1961
Modern Fan

One more thing

Postby spaceman1961 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 am

Kim - when rereading your second post, it sounds like a large part of your problem is the window frames that hold the glass are out of adjustment. The mechanics of these windows aren't all that complicated, and some diligent searching for a window repair person in your area that can properly adjust the framing might help. Of course, be prepared for 99.9% of them to try to convince you to buy new windows. Stick to your guns- it's your house! You are correct, however, that you shouldn't be trying to force the window closed manually, especially not by pushing or pulling on the glass panes. Again, good luck!

Kim
Modern Master

suggestions received

Postby Kim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:16 am

I'm not finding the post with the clear plexi (or similar) solution, but it's a good thought... as is calling around for a window repair person who can adjust the louvers' tilt. Thanks!

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Jalousies were also common in the midwest where winters can get brutal- the ones I salvaged from a remuddle included interchangeable screens and solid glass panels for autumn/winter. I know I've also seen strips that attach to the edge of the glass louvers to create a pretty good seal when closed...of course they looked ugly as sin, too. -Cory

spaceman1961
Modern Fan

Found it!

Postby spaceman1961 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Kim - I found the thread I had in mind. Hope it helps!

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#53406

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Did anybody call my name? Got a psychic vibe telling me to check the forums ;-)

Can't find my thread regarding the winterizing of jalousie windows, but I can describe again the process.

1. buy Jal-O-Seals for the windows - these are sold in rolls of 100 ft and are made of a clear vinyl that doesn't show much in the windows. It's a slightly labor-intensive process, but worth it. Have the Jal-O-Seal in all my windows now, it prevents major drafts during the Winter, and reduces A/C costs during the Summer.
ImageImage
The link for a couple of suppliers is below:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Jal ... ts-363.htm
http://www.omtenterprises.com/jalousiehdwe.html
http://pickenswindowparts.com/jalousie.html

2. For the Winter, and because I don't have storm windows, my solution was to cut sheets of plexiglass slightly larger (1/2") all around than the window opening, and sandwich each sheet between the fly screen and the window frame on the inside of the jalousie window. If done properly, it seals the window and prevents air movement. These should be used in conjunction with Jal-O-Seal to ensure that air stays trapped between the jalousie panes and the plexiglass sheet. The plexiglass is sold in sheets at major home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc), and they can cut them for you based on your required dimensions.

If you have a supplier of storm windows in your city that can custom manufacture them for your windows, that'll be another solution.

Kim
Modern Master

Sealant ho!

Postby Kim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Thank you, this is great information--and much appreciated, as I was looking for Jal-o-seal links sales online and not finding anything.

Here's to draft-free homes, and psychic vibes.

Kim

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:19 am

If you have an inch between panes when closed you might want to have a look at the actuating arm. When you turn the handle to close this moves an arm up (or down) that is directly connected to the window panes. If it is too short it will not close the panes all the way. When looking at replacement cranks there are always several options regarding arm length. Maybe they were replaced at one time with an incorrect part?

Here are a couple of links I have stored that might help you out a bit.

http://sgawinc.com/Window-Hardware/Jalo ... t_692.html

http://www.pickenswindowparts.com/jalousie.html oops, same as above>

Our Jalousies have removable screens on the inside that get replaced with storms in the winter. I think I've counted 28 of them.

Can you show us pics of your house and windows?

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:16 am

One of my neighbors is an architectural designer. The homes in my neighborhood feature large expanses (12' or more in width) with banks of casement style windows that open up and out, all hand-cranked. Similar to very large jalousie windows. As he didn't want to lose the architectural lines of the aluminum casements, he applied sheets of insulated glass to the inside - similar to the idea mentioned in the thread linked-to previously. These windows were framed and inset so they could be easily removed - the frames also parelled the divisions between the vertical window banks and could be removed in sections and replaced with the original screens (those screens fit each window individually so the cranks can be reached). I think this solution works very well and if done right it's unnoticeable which I believe is the desire.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”