Exterior door paint colors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ScottieK
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Exterior door paint colors

Postby ScottieK » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:31 am

Hi, everyone.

My husband and I are avid readers of the forum but only now have had a need to post our own query. We recently repainted our house -- dark gray body, black trim. We opted for a yellow for the doors in order to warm the house up a bit, but it ended up being too primary. I am torn between a mustardy yellow (more Gulden's, less French's) or the tried-and-true reddish-orange. The problem we keep running into, however, is finding the perfect shade of either color. The yellows end up too brown, the reddish-oranges too orange. We are desperately hoping that one of you has had success in this venture and can guide us in the right direction. I apologize if the subject has already been addressed; my searches were not fruitful. Thanks in advance!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:21 am

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:48 am

This is a VERY SIMPLIFIED example, but I hope this kinda s'plains it?

Can you see how the colors radically change the way the other color next to appear? Kinda sounds like a weather forecast: cool and warm... Sorry 'bout the last one, I switched them.

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

ScottieK
Modern Groupie

Postby ScottieK » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 am

Slim, thanks so much for your reply. The gray is Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal. I'd say it's more of a cool gray than a warm gray, but it's not too cool, either. So a neutral, coolish gray. I definitely want to go with a more orange red than a blue red. Your mock-ups are great!

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:30 am

I looked at a house earlier this year that had a mustard door--it looked great!

Sorry, I don't know a paint color name to give you though.

I'm actually having a similar problem with painting my living room. Want a light grey but they end up looking blueish, purpleish, greenish, or browninsh. I just want light cool grey!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:20 pm

honey wheat yellow looks good :cheers:

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:48 am

I don't know if these would since I don't know the colors. Try these from Sherwin Williams:

Orange ish red: Lei Flower
Yellow ish: Golden Fleece

May or may not work.

**Incidentally, I tried to find them on the SW website, but on the computer, at least mine, they looking NOTHING like what they look like in person or on the chip.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:10 pm

I tend to approach colors from an automotive angle since I am most familiar with those. I submit two colors:

1956 Lincoln "Island Coral"

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... n-pg01.jpg

1959 Ford "Inca Gold"

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... d-pg01.jpg

ScottieK
Modern Groupie

Postby ScottieK » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your help. We ended up choosing Benjamin Moore's Tomato Red. The first coat is up, and it looks pretty great!

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:36 am

Going through the same dilemma... The paint on our house is gray-brown with some pinkish undertones. I don't like it, but it will be awhile before we do anything with the exterior. In the meantime, I want a colorful door. I love orange and red-orange, but I don't know if that would go with the house color. These are the best pics I have for now (realtor pics):

http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... %20Desert/

I tried the Benjamin Moore 'Tomato' - great color and I bet it looks smashing with the 'Kendall Charcoal' (also a great color). I'm just not sure if it works with the warmer / lighter gray brown we have. I'm thinking we may have to go with a more true red color, or at least a lighter orange-red?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:41 am

My first choice would be a dark charcoal or even black. If a color, orange, perhaps burnt orange.

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:59 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:10 am

I know many practitioners of feng shui and have never heard that black was bad - often it's listed as the second color after red for a front entry door (note that front entry door color is entirely different from other entry doors as it's the focal point of chi entering the home) - do some research and I think you'll find the same.

The black front entry door color choice is often either identified with goals (black references "career") or compass direction if the attempt is to refocus good chi into the house - blacks and blue would focus chi if the entry door is facing north (north is "water" so blues and blacks), reds and oranges, yellows and magenta are more appropriate for south facing doors (south is "fire" so colors associated with it, or of items that feed fire like wood so browns and greens, work). The confusion comes from there being several different "flavors" of feng shui and it all depends on which you subscribe to.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:16 am

I was just trying to work with the purple-gray. The gate is black and I think that looks good. but I am a way amateur colorist compared with the trained.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”