Experience with ib roofing?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
idraw2
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Experience with ib roofing?

Postby idraw2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 pm

I've come to this site as part of my quest for a new roof on my 1958 ranch with 3:12 pitch located in snowy SE MI. I've looked at it all (mod bit, torch down, single ply, rubber) and so far a system from ib roof "looks" like a good choice...I'm looking for anyone with experience with ib roofing systems on a low pitch residential roof. I did see some old posts on this site that mentioned Duro-last as a good choice which surprised me...they were the front runner for our roof until I talked to them - their spec sheet states that they will not warrenty residential installations, and they confirmed that yesterday, so that cooled my enthusiasm for that idea....I would appreciate any info from anyone with experience with these products particularly in cold climates. Thx! ***

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 am

I think when you start asking you'll find that many of the commercial roof manufacturers won't warrant a residential roof so it's not surprising. The problem is that the installer needs to know what he's doing so basically you need a commercial installer/roofer - at that point the cost skyrockets - they typical residential installer doesn't know how to apply the commercial roofing material correctly - they just sort of "wing it" (at least around the Atlanta area). Also for most commercial roofing applications a core sample is commonly taken so that the application technique can be approved, to reinforce the warranty - you'll rarely see a Certainteed or GAF rep on a residential roof taking the required samples. The manufacturer's warranty is only supported if the materials were applied to their specs - as you look at roofing materials make sure you get the installation spec sheets and that your installer agrees to the approved method of application. There's a bit more to it than just laying down a layer of material.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:04 am

no warranties must be something new. when I got my duro-last 8 years ago, I thought I had some kind of warranty, like 15 years. it has performed well. At the time of installation, Duro-last said they had never had a residential failure in 25 years.

IB hq is just down the street from me. I have not heard any negatives. IB is new to the residential market. you might try an industrial building owner

for my next roof, I will return to tar & gravel

casiep
Modern Socialite

Postby casiep » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:57 am

I work in commercial real estate. I've never installed one but I have been on several single ply PVC roofs. Overall they hold up well. With single ply membranes it's all about the quality of the installation...making sure that the seams and penetrations are done properly. I think it would be a really good membrane for a residential roof because for commercial roofs they perform the best in situations where you don't have a lot of foot traffic on the roof or you don't need to add/relocate equipment or penetrations (because cutting and detailing new penetrations into the membrane is kind of a pain).

Just don't shovel snow off of it! When I worked back east as a consultant we had a client who, during a blizzard, became concerned about the snow load on their newly installed single ply membrane roof and instructed several employees to go up and start shoveling the snow off the roof. The show shovels cut and damaged the membrane all over the place. What a mess to fix.
Mid-century Finds and Recreations NEW IN THE SHOP - Handmade Modern Birdhouses

idraw2
Modern Groupie

Thanks for all the good info!

Postby idraw2 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks to all who responded!

Johnnyapollo - good insights into the duro-last warranty question

Joe - tar & gravel is one option I have not looked at; why will you go with this on your next roof?

casiep - Sorry it's true...I laughed at the snow removal story, then went out & hid my husbands roof rake, thanks for that tip!!

I spoke with the Michigan regional rep for ib a few minutes ago, he called based on an email query about local contractors. He was very helpful, and gave me several locations to go and see their product installed, as well as contact info for a couple local installers - we'll contact the companies he recommended & keep you "posted". Thanks Again!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Thanks for all the good info!

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”