Interesting Story on Design Within Reach

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen
Modern Guru

Interesting Story on Design Within Reach

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:07 pm

whoa.

Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan O. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Good read. Amazing that an organization with such noble intentions could be reduced to ripping off the very designers that helped establish it's identity. It would've been nice to see a small in-house design team develop some less pricey original pieces to sell along side the high-dollar showroom draws. One of DWR's missed opportunities was not effectively using the "glamour effect" of the design icons by not having anything to offer those who couldn't quite justify an unreasonable expenditure. Tools for Living? Not exactly an original idea but ok, who's the genius who decided to sell the accessories out of an entirely different store down the block? Would being in close proximity to an Eames lounge chair make me any more likely to dish out $25 and take home a bit of high design in the form of a can opener? Maybe.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm

ultimately a very sad story.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Seems to me

Postby modfan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 am

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks. Interesting article.

As the owner of an original Sussex cabinet, I have to say I'm disgusted with the former knock-off mentality of DWR: They'll knock off the little guys, but not the big ones. I'm glad they're no longer doing it.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”