Brainstorm session-need creative ideas for our MCM house

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sealuxe
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Brainstorm session-need creative ideas for our MCM house

Postby Sealuxe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 pm

We finally got a unique MCM house after searching high and low for several years. We love it and are excited to see what we can do with it now. After reading creative ideas on the forum for years we would appreciate hearing any cool ideas members may have about our house.

It's a quirky house and we can probably get away with almost anything. We most immediately need to decide on Flooring, what to do with the old water feature (that we don't want water in) which you face when walking in front door (front door is not seen in picture, that is only a closet in picture), sunken living room, broken mirrored wall, and kitchen (it's in top right of pictures but I need to get some more pictures of it). Thanks so much

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Congratulations!
What flooring was there originally?
Your new house looks so familiar! I'm positive I've driven or walked by it! I just can't remember where.

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 pm

It was carpet throughout with the exception of the bathroom where there is poured terrazzo which we are keeping.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:53 am

Hey look! Stripper poles!
Nice house. I would be tempted to lean toward swank modern.
I like the long triangle that repeats in the clerestory, ceiling and fireplace.

Yes. Lots of options. Avoid some of the easily installed engineered
flooring. You have a walk pattern around the sunken lounge.
The clickity-clack of most of those floor options would be a all-day-long
annoyance.

It screams for cork. Compliments all your other surfaces. Wall-to-wall
wool shag in the sunken lounge. Big floor pillows. Light furniture.
Meaning not overstuffed club chairs or couch with fabric skirts...
Some vintage danish teak?

And remember opinions are just opinions. I'd have a blast with that place!
congrats!

Floors are a very serious expense. Hard to change.
Furniture and fabrics are easy to experiment with. I change things
around all the time. If i lived in texas you would be welcome to borrow
my mistakes. I'm having a pod delivered next weekend. I have a small
break in work. Clear out and finally unpack some boxes from the move
three years ago...
I just picked up a Selig 'z' chair for 30 bucks. Good quality mistakes
can always be easily sold.

Have you looked through the Arts and Architecture casehouses?
http://www.artsandarchitecture.com/

Any pics of your kitchen?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:02 am

Indeed, if one wants a hardwood floor, one should just put in one like one would like if it was already there. I can never talk anyone into that. 2 1/2" wide strip oak or maple is what was current when that house was built. That is what would call the least attention to itself. The sunken living space will need stair nosing all the way around, requiring some skill. I would be inclined to face the riser of that area with the same wood as the floor and carpet the sunken area. Wide plank flooring is so Home Depot.
Also be careful with very dark floors. Not only are they impossible to keep clean, they do a lot of design talking. In other words they will effect every choice you make. That much floor requires a neutral background. The truth is, once you spend all that money on hard surface floors (of any kind) you still have to buy rugs. So if money is tight, just re-carpet. I also love cork and wish I could have afforded it when I redid my floors. I have toured many old MCM homes that have cork still in excellent condition. I even remember stairs, but cannot remember how the edge was handled.
Cork is the right color to add to that space. Neutral, background. The existing wood paneling, brick, formica and the view are strong focal points that cannot be ignored.

Just remove the mirror tiles and resurface the wall. Or, if mirror is desirable there, it should be professionally installed large plate mirror.

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:29 pm

We're kinda leaning more towards a remodel that would fit with furnishing from the late 60's/early 70's space age, lots of plastic, bold colors, Panton type design, etc. A retro futuristic look would be the best way to describe what we like. I'm not too into wood and am not sure I want to even keep the paneling. Those are just random tile samples in the pictures.

Trying to get right color for flooring, thinking a nice grey that our furniture would pop against. I agree that we need to keep the floor simple and neutral for sure.
Is tile a no no? We just don't want to end up on the "100 Ways to Screw Up Your MCM" list

So with a sunken living room do you cover the vertical part of the step up with the same flooring as the base of the sunken portion or should the non-sunken flooring extend down the vertical step to meet the floor of the sunken living? Does that make sense. Thanks for the ideas so far.

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Here's a cool drawing by the architect. They made a few changes in the final house.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Well, we need more pictures and details. Maybe put up a flickr page.
Give some examples of the furniture you have.
It does have a Rat Pack vibe. Some of that vibe comes from the original details.
I like the wood. But I really want to see what all the stuff (switches, thermostats) What's the large vent/speaker on the mirrored wall?

I find the space more warm than gray. I really would consider a high quality tight short loop carpet. Beige maybe multi with some grays.

Tile would be slick, but problematic over a wood floor. I also would not like the reflections in such a long open space. If it were my house those windows would rarely be covered.

So don't get too hung up on that surface. The thing that needs to pop in the house is art.

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:38 pm

We're working on a blogspot site to post pictures of our progress.

That is a Bogen speaker on the mirrored wall. Got sound system working last night. Speaker set in the walls of each bedroom plus the living. Sounds so cool. The house seemed to come alive with some good music running through it.

The switches are a low voltage Remcom system. It all works great so we'll probably just keep it until we have trouble. The house is completely interconnected, with the ability to turn on almost any light from any room in the house.

We have kids so that's a factor as we consider flooring. That's why I'm not sure about carpet

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:01 pm

My nephew replaced most of the carpet in his house "because of the kids" and they now play mostly on the carpeted space. Even the "play room" with the stone floor has a large area rug in it. So it's all a wash. Hard floor mop and sometimes buff or carpet have cleaned (when my kids were little we had the carpet cleaned every three months.)
The step down is the trick in your house. That has to be just right. Or you need a sectional perfectly fitted.
What is the kitchen floor?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:19 pm

an architect designed house this unique deserves a thoughtful restoration. I see you have blue prints, do you have specs too? any original photos?

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:10 pm

We have lots of architectural plans, electrical, landscaping, HVAC, plumbing etc but have not found any old pictures at all. Owner said she doesn't have any. They hardly changed anything from when they built it. We have an old newspaper article about it and they even have the same furniture as in the newspaper from 1959. All that was changed by them was carpet over coral and white kitchen tiles, mirrors covering a coral colored wall, unattractive cabinets, and cork board covering the water feature.

We are trying to be very careful and not jumped into too many drastic changes. Have only removed carpet and cork that was covering the entire water feature. Most drastic change would be if we decide to eliminate the water feature (maybe keep the curved wall however and re-tile it) that is in an awkward location and the wet bar that blocks off the kitchen. Kitchen is small and there just isn't room for a brick wall in the middle of the kitchen plus a wet bar. Would have room for a dining table without the wet bar and could still use the upper living for living and not dining. One has to go and the brick is more architectural than the bar.

I'll get more pictures posted soon because I would love some opinions on whether or not to keep the water feature and wet bar.

mrcysco
Modern Fan

Postby mrcysco » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Hey Sealuxe,

So glad (and sad) to see this house posted here. You beat my wife and I by about 4-hours to get an offer in on it. It truly is a gem! We love that area and have been patiently waiting like you have for one of the homes to open up.

Please keep us posted on how the renovation goes. I'll be able to live vicariously through you! :-)

The two biggest problems I was trying to figure out were 1) Where the heck do you put a TV? Mounting it on the fireplace would be a sin. Putting on the wall where that glass display case is/was, probably would look weird. Putting it in one o the bedrooms is far from ideal. I'd be curious what you plan on doing. 2) What do you do with the kitchen. I don't know about you, but there is no way we could function with a kitchen that small. I was thinking you could pull the kitchen further out into where the dining area is. that's a lot of wasted space there. I'd also look into taking the top part of that brick "wall" where the stove was down to a half wall. that would open things up a lot and you could vent under the house.

Anyway consider yourself very lucky. I'm glad to see the house ended up with someone who truly appreciates it. Fingers crossed that we get to be your neighbors soon! Best of luck and keep us all posted on the progress!

-=marc

Oh, and I can't believe how awesome that tile is in the entry. WTF were they thinking putting stick on cork tiles over that!?!?!?!?!?

mrcysco
Modern Fan

Postby mrcysco » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Re-reading some of your posts, i figure I'd throw a few more cents out there.

RE: Bar vs. Brick. - Ditch the Bar, and consider bringing the brick down to a half-wall. If I remember that should be possible.

RE: Glass wall - I may be mistaken, but those glass tiles are not original. They're DIY stick on tiles just like those damn cork tiles. Do you know what's under there? I

RE: Water Feature. I think it would be a shame to get rid of it, but I can't tell what kind of condition the tiles are in. I'd think of filling it with some contrasting color rocks/pebbles. If the tiles are in bad shape, I'd probably consider taking the feature out too. It definitely would open up the entry a bit.

RE: Floors. I'd probably go with a light colored bamboo. It would help brighten up the place. Cork would also be a good option, but I haven't had the best experience with cork so I'd be a little nervous about it.

RE: Crazy plastic suspended fake ceiling above the living area. Take it out! get someone out there to take out those fluorescent lights and sheetrock the ceiling. I think the foot or so of recessed room up there will also help open up the area.

You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it'll be an amazing house when you're done!

-=marc

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:50 am

Thanks so much for the kind words mycysco. I'm not sure if it is any consolation but we actually contacted the previous owner 4 months ago and made an offer that she accepted and that caused her to decide to move out. What happened between then and when it somehow came on the market is a LONG story. I met another person that wanted to bid and they thought they just barely missed it too but after they heard our story they weren't kicking themselves as much, as far as the timing goes. It took a lot of work and persistence to get this house, it has consumed us for the last 3-4 months, and we feel very lucky and fortunate that we have it now and I can relax finally.

Thanks for the ideas as well mrcysco. I took out the cheapo glass tiles last night and it looks so much better and brighter (though an entire coral colored wall is a bit much) but I do miss some glass on that wall though, just not dirty looking 70's glass. I also have the diagrams and plans for the ceiling fixture and am trying to figure out what to do with it. I like it but at the same time I don't.
Shoot me a private email mrcysco and we'll stay in touch. I have a lot of connections since we've been looking so long and I can keep an eye out for you

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:14 am

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 am Post subject:
Anyone have experience with the Azrock Solid Vinyl Tile? Is it more durable and resistant to denting/cracking. Also anyone used the "thru quartz" Azrock VCT? We like the color of the blue gray thru quartz but are worried about scratching and whether the pattern of the thru -quartz fits the look of an mcm home.

Lastly kinda different question. We have a step down sunken living room that the vct would go down the sides of. What type of transition piece should be used where the horizontal and vertical meet on the edge of the step. The one installer that came recommended metal and that it only comes in silver or gold. Anyone know the details of how to treat a step using vct and it not look horrible. Thanks

I'm pasting your post from the VCT questions thread here to answer it.

Like I said above, the step down is going to dictate your flooring choice. Carpet would roll over the edge.
Hardwood has what is called stair noising. Now for vinyl or VCT, most installers would use a cheap metal edge.
There are vinyl edges available, used for stairs in commercial settings. Much better than a metal edge, sold on a roll by the foot,
(the metal would have seams) but really, not elegant enough for your house. Most of the folks here using VCT are doing so
in small entry level houses built on concrete slabs. In your large custom house, I think VCT would have a dept. store look.

If you feel that some areas of hard surface flooring would be helpful with kids, you could move the transition away from the sunken living area.
If it was my house, and I could afford it, I would use a very tight loop real wool carpet in natural colors. Some of that stuff has gray fibers
in it. Although synthetic fibers might be better with kids. (that said, I have a wool rug under my dinning table I have been spot cleaning with
plain water and a rag for years now) What I was trying to say about kids and cleaning above is: every choice will require regular cleaning.
The VCT in my house does not look as good as I would like because it just does not get the care needed. There is a reason no wax floors are (were)
popular. Doing my floor right requires a full day and a professional floor machine (buffer) I got lucky and found one on Craig's list.

So, if money or schedule is tight, just carpet and move on. You can redo later when the kitchen remodeling is resolved. How that area get configured
in the end will also dictate transitions.

And another suggestion re the living room ceiling and where to put a TV: How about a projector and a drop down screen? A screen could come out of a thin
slot in front of the fireplace and a projector could be built into the paneled wall opposite. Where is all the audio equipment now?

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 am

Here's some more pics that show the kitchen/wetbar.

Egads, I think we're heading back towards carpet on the upper living spaces. We've made the loop with all kinds of flooring options but each seems risky. I didn't initially want carpet back in there because I'd just pulled a house full of nasty carpet out of it. But I think getting a cool short carpet would fit the house and would be a less permanent choice if we later change our minds.
What are some good brands? I know nothing about carpet. Want it to be very short for sure.

Still would love any ideas on the kitchen and the water feature. The wetbar is definitely going away.

ImageImage

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:36 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I sure wish I did know enough about carpet to help. Like I said if I could afford it, I would be looking a real wool berber. Very short tight loops. Although this sight does not have exactly what I envision and there is no way to link to a direct page there (you are going to have to click :see our carpets" and then maybe click again to get to a page of samples)

http://www.woolshire.com/

Something like Heather (style) Thatch (color)

Some thing multi, (not obviously so) will allow you to get the "gray" you say you want and still have some warmer tones you need for it to work with all the wood. Variation instead of a solid will work best with kids anyway.

I would not use a berber style in synthetic fiber (someone may make a decent nylon) The awful berber we all remember from about 20 years ago was made out of synthetic olefin or something and was not comfortable to play or lounge on. It also got a sheen when it got dirty.

Just look for low pile and the tightest weave you can afford.

And carpet always looks lighter than the sample installed.

Flor: My friends used Flor in their family room, but that was a defined area. You have to use a product that will roll over the edges nicely. In fact, when you are out looking, fold the large sample to see how it will look at the step down.

By the way, every large city has a floor covering neighborhood. Some street with lots of tile and carpet stores. You can also contact an interior designer who will have samples, color savvy, and know who the good installers are. I bet that would not cost any more than paying retail using a small storefront carpet place.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:43 am

Here is the wool short pile in our house that is in the master bedroom and bedroom hallway. Color is very close to what you see in the image. We love it, soft underfoot and wears like iron.

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Congratulations! It looks like a great home. I particularly like the block screening wall. In regards to the water feature: As the home was designed by an architect; I would assume it was intentional, and likely plays off another element within or adjacent to the space. Do you have any photos that include the surrounding area? The curved wall seems very fitting, but the 90 degree basin clad in the same tile as the back wall seems out of place with all the obtuse angles as seen at the mantle and the windows.

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:23 am

Just sent you a PM Dallasmodern

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 am

I'm kinda having trouble deciding on interior paint color for the wood surrounding the large banks of windows, trim and interior doors. Is there a rule of thumb on this to keep within the mcm aesthetic?
We are basically getting rid of all the brown in the house, including the cheapo paneling. We are doing Sheetrock and a gray with hint of blue short Karastan commercial carpet. I know that Eichlers commonly use the same darkish color for the wood between the sheets of glass as they do for the beams, but we don't have beams. Or would all white be the best option, though harder to paint. We also have a long horizontal wood curtain cover that extends the length of the entire wall to consider.
I would love to get some experienced ideas from you guys. Thanks all

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm

I have definitely seen this house...I took a picture of it almost five years ago!

Great find! I know you'll have fun with this place.

My thoughts? The downspouts really detract from the street facade.

Water feature? Get some potted plants and place them in there.

I'm pleased this house was purchased by someone who appreciates its MCM styling. My best wishes as you seek to make it shine once more.
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:07 pm

I thought we would tackle this later but our suspended plastic ceiling is just too yellow. Has anyone seen any similar products or any commercial suspended ceilings that would have the same feel. I like the ceiling but it's just dirty looking especially with all our new paint etc. I'm hoping someone here might have some leads. Would love to find something hexagon shaped or that would fit a space age vibe.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Have you considered painting the current ceiling panels? If they look yellow when the light shines through them, perhaps a coat of paint would make them less translucent and not yellow.
My neighborhood:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Lighting Plastics is the search. Yellow pages, Google. There is even a lightingplastics.com website for a place in MN. Although, I would check locally first. I imagine you need large pieces.

In fact, you may want to upgrade to a parabolic louver if you will use the area for watching TV. Parabolic louvers are what many elevators have. It's like having recess lights. It cuts the glare when looking across an area, yet allows light down. Also used in offices when folks primarily work on computer screens.

If you cannot find the same thing and the ones you have are not broken, you can paint them. I would suggest buying spray cans from an automotive paint supply. They have spray made specifically for plastic. It's made to repaint auto interior trim. You will have to get them very clean and dry. Buy a respirator made for the chemicals in that paint. A simple mask will not do.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:15 am

That is a huge area, replacement would be very expensive.

Our house had original Honeylite louvers installed for this purpose. They were a little ratty so we replaced them (very suprised that the company was still in business and manufacturing exact replacements after 50 some odd years). They are painted aluminum, .5" thick, approx. .25" wide hexegon shape openings.

I think I would research restoration of the plastic ones you have...maybe radio guys or 70's furniture dealers would have some tips/tricks they would share?

Here is their website:
http://www.honeylitelouvers.com/products/custom.html

BTW...I really like your house.

Picture of them installed in our kitchen:

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks Classic form and egads. Now that I know what to call our ceiling I'm finally finding some similar products. Looks like I may even find some hexagon shaped plastic like I want.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”