My New Mod

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fish.81
Modern Fan

My New Mod

Postby fish.81 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey Guys,

After looking for a mid century mod to call my own for nearly two years, I've finally bought a place to call home. Now comes the hard part of restoring the home and hopefully making it a great example of a 1950's modern ranch home. A little background, the home was custom built back in the 1950's for a doctor and his family. It has only had one owner and with updates limited to the kitchen (new doors / hardware) and covering up the original hardrwood / cork floors with carpet.

I've got all the original architectural plans and will be formulating a to do list that I hope to accomplish over the coming months and years. Pictures of the property are available at my blog below and I would love to get any thoughts on the house or suggestions as I move forward.

http://mymidcenturymod.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Chris

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 pm

nice and original! good job.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:42 pm

wow. great find -- congrats... might be the wide angle lens but it looks palatial.

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 am

Beautiful ranch! Me want.

jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jakabedy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:36 am

Very nice! What area of Houston?
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

fish.81
Modern Fan

Postby fish.81 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks guys, I'm headed over the house this afternoon to start up my to do list and set priorities to keep myself sane through this process.

Jakabedy, the house is on the northwest side of town just north Loop 610 and east of 290.

If there are any people from Houston on Lotta Livin that have recommendations for architects, contractors, interior designers, etc. who know MCM please let me know.

fish.81
Modern Fan

Postby fish.81 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm

As I've put together my to do list of items that have to be completed before moving in, I realized there is one big purchase to be made. The house currently has no refrigerator and need to buy something before moving in full time. Over time the kitchen will receive some updates which will probably include, refaced cabinets, new pulls, and a different counter top. All of these items are not original to the house and I'm hoping to get pictures shortly of what was in originally in the kitchen.

For reference you can see what the kitchen and remaining appliance look like on my blog. I'm having issues embedding pictures to Lotta Livin'.

With these pictures in mind, I'm not sure what to do about the immediate need for a refrigerator but at this point, I see three main options:

1. Buy a cheap used fridge on craigslist that will get me buy until I make long term plans for the kitchen. I hate to spend any significant amount of money on a short term fix like this.

2. Look for a deal on a stainless steel fridge that would be a long term solution. The stainless steel would match the stove nicely (which is original and will stay) and is not a bad match the oven, microwave, and dishwasher. I'm not sure if this other appliances are original and am checking with the former owner. The downside for the stainless steel, is that it's just like 95% of the other refrigerators you see in new construction. Part of the reason I liked this house is it's different, unique, and has some style to it... Not sure if a brand new stainless steel fridge like I had in my old house is the right way to go.

3. The budget buster is to do a retro fridge from "Big Chill". I've had my eye on these for months and love everything about them, great vintage look, cool color options, except the price tag... They do come in 8 different colors so I would not be locked into orange. Other possibilities are white or a cherry red. Doing a fridge like this would give some immediate visual interest, great retro styling, and a talking point in the kitchen. However, do I invest this kind of money in a fridge not knowing what the future plans are for the kitchen?

Any thoughts or comments?
Check out my house and restoration project at http://mymidcenturymod.blogspot.com/

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:49 pm

If you buy a great refridgerator you'll end up designing the rest of the kitchen around it if you plan to do a remodel. If it were me I'd buy something inexpensive (love CL for that!) and get by until I've got my plans formalized - or at least until I know what series look/feel of appliances I'd ultimately want. If the kitchen isn't bad you may want to enjoy it for a while to see what you like/dislike about the layout before ripping everything apart. If the former, buying a decent fridge may be fine - if doing the latter you don't want any one appliance that could throw off the final design - for the fridge there are many options in width, depth and configuration. All that needs to be thought out a bit before making a decision - why I think buying on the cheap is a better idea (you can almost always get back your money on a used appliance as long as it's still works and doesn't have any broken parts, on Craigslist).

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Great home

Postby cougarider » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Great windows and floors! I'm in Houston too. What part of town did you buy in?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 pm

The fourth budget buster option is, after buying something cheap and then redoing the kitchen, is use a subzero or Liebherr fully integrated refrigerator.
I am also a strong advocate integrated dishwashers. I just don't like the look of all that stainless because it always reminds me of a real estate ad claiming "stainless steel appliances!" (usually in the same breath as "granite countertops!"

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:43 am

Here is a link to one of the first changes I would make in your new (beautiful) place.

http://www.bemisseats.com/catalog/retail/?cat=colors

fish.81
Modern Fan

Fridge, Fence, & Roof

Postby fish.81 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Check out my house and restoration project at http://mymidcenturymod.blogspot.com/

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 am

On #1 the fence - if you want that modern look it's tough to get unless you design and put it up yourself from non-fencing type materials (meaning it's difficult to use off-the-shelf fencing materials to achieve a modern look). Not impossible but your typical fencing company will want to use what's currently popular, pickets with points, etc. I've seen some well done fencing using strips or slats of vertical or horizontal cedar between posts - the parallel lines make put the "M" for modern into the design. As I suggested before, it might be worthwhile to do something temporary to shore up the current fence so you can decide what to ultimately go with.

On #2. I've never heard of that radiant barrier going on top of the roof, under the shingles. It's usually applied to the rafters in the attic. Around here they charge $2-3 per square foot - the stuff is actually fairly inexpensive to purchase and install yourself. With your home it appears you only have vaults in some rooms and not all - it might be less expensive if you place the reflective material under the shingles to the vaulted areas and install yourself in the areas that have attic access. You'd be surprised at how inexpensive the material is and it's installed using a staple gun. Just something to think about.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am

Well, why don't you take a whole bunch of new pictures and put them up on your photo page with a link? Nuts and bolts pictures for us design and dyi geeks to see and assess. (you would not want that many detail pics on your blog)

It is true that a repair and not rebuild may be possible on the fence. Having pressure treated posts installed would not be a waste a for future cool fence. I would do a fence that matched the house's siding myself. The existing seems fine, and the yard is about plants. New fence boards will fade quicker than you think. They can also be stained to match the house. I see it as background and not a feature.

Is your roof getting a complete tear off? Is it getting new sheathing? If that is the case, you should not be charged a lot extra to make that sheathing foil faced as johnnyapollo says. Does the roof leak right now? It just does not look that bad. How many layers are on there? I just would not risk replacing the roof during the rainy season if it was not necessary. Have that roof evaluated by many contractors.

If you have any time, you should be able to remove the carpet, endlessly remove staples and tack strip, clean and use that floor as is. Remember the most important advise this place offers:

Live in your new house at least a year before making any big changes. You just cannot know what the house really needs without living there. We make rash decisions in the excitement of new home purchase. We want everything "ready" before we move in. We make choices based on what we "think" we want. Relax. Do as little as possible in any space until you have sat there with a cocktail and contemplated.

This place in my opinion probably needs more restoring than "updating" Well, mechanicals will need updating. You job will be to make sure some tradesmen does not talk you into altering anything to make their job easier. If it needs new pipes, believe me there is a way to do that and save the tile. HVAC can be redone without hacking everything up.

My casual observation is that this house is more Usionian than MCM. A warmer approach will be called for.
Not that some of the spaces could not work with a Rat Pack vibe. My personal advise is to always go with what a house really is. It's easier and always more successful.

By the way, do you know who the architect was?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:16 pm

From my reading at this forum:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Having a radiant barrier in Texas is worth it. How worth it? Well once again I would need more details about this house. It may be worth it to have an energy audit. Also to have (either as a part of or separately) a heat and A/C load calculation done. What you do and how is best determined by science rather than the opinion of a contractor that comes out or even us on the internet. Air conditioning is a very big thing in Texas.

fish.81
Modern Fan

House For Sale

Postby fish.81 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey Guys,

It pains me to say this house is for sale with my job relocation; if anyone in Houston is looking for a great mod in a great neighborhood check out the link below:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=92174

Chris

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”