Why in the world hasn't someone re-invented the wall mounted

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Why in the world hasn't someone re-invented the wall mounted

Postby Scott NC » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 pm

fridge/freezer?
I've searched and searched and came up with one ugly 2 door clear glass commercial one that was probably used in a convenient store.

Are they out there? Living on the east coast is nearly impossible to find one from the 50's. If I were in Seattle or closer to the midwest, I'd assume to have better luck.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm

I saw one on Seattle craigslist about a year ago, so I guess they are out there.
Allison

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:21 am

I talked to Pierre Koenig about this when he was restoring one of his houses that originally had an eye level wall or cabinet mounted refrigerator. He couldn't find an old GE unit and was considering building an elevated steel frame and hanging two compact Sub Zero refrigerators along it. I don't know what the final outcome was, but it sounded pretty neato.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Lots of the old GE's still out there, just need to watch CL and eBay. I've got a turquoise unit in the basement awaiting a freon charge.

I think they're a swell idea, especially when matched with the proper steel cabinets for a great built-in look, but the biggest drawback that comes to mind is the limited amount of storage compared to a freestanding a fridge (even one from the period).

The depth is on par with a wall cabinet (pretty shallow), and you lose 1 of the 3 "doors" for freezer space. GE did offer a roll-out "below the countertop" freezer if you wanted decent freezer space, but they're pretty darn rare.

BTW, these appliances were offered in a choice of 5 colors with matching cabs. -Cory

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:26 pm

my dear old landlord Elinor (RIP) in Baltimore MD was quite proud of her 1954 horizontal GE fridge, she had a compact kitchen as it was a an 1850's row house, the cabinets were also metal and may have been Cory? I recall in the 90's she had the motor repaired with an NOS motor that was found in a warehouse! I think it's still in the house 8-)

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:56 pm

We picked one up last year for our ranch, its a bit older than our place (fridge is '56, ranch is '61) But the space where were putting it on looks like it was MADE for this fridge. Should go good with the Custom Imperial Flair stove/oven we picked up. :)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:14 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am

cool!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:16 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”