Is this a Cliff May house and is it beyond repair?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HB Dave
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is this a Cliff May house and is it beyond repair?

Postby HB Dave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/828-W ... 9154_zpid/

Hello,

I have been looking for a house I can afford near my job in Anaheim. I'm in no rush to buy anything, but I like to look at websites like Zillow to see what is out there. I saw this listing this weekend, and was like OMG a Cliff May in a place where I didn't think there were any.

So I drove buy it after work with a friend who owns a Cliff May in Tustin to have a look. My buddy thought it was a cliff May because the kitchen is similar in layout to his in Tustin. But this place is in real bad shape. For what ever reason someone took the entire back of the garage off and replaced it with raw birtch ply. I think the three posts holding up the carport are floating on top of the concrete. The back of the house is missing two pieces of redwood siding panels and you can see the drywall inside. It has lots of obvious termite damage. It has a broken window. The electrical box needs to be redone, because it is the original 1951 box and open to the elements. And the landscaping and driveway need replacing. Oh, and the roof looks like it needs replacing. I could go on, but you get the idea it is a sad little house. I have been reading all the Cliff May Blogs, so I know they are very fixable little houses, but how gone is gone? I have some skills, but framing, electrical and plumbing are beyond me.

Thanks,
Dave[/url]

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 am

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 am

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:25 am

it's a Cliff May. Structure-wise, it looks fine. Often the biggest, costliest issue when restoring/renovating a home like this is removing additions, which I don't see any.

The whole neighborhood appears to be the 1100 sqft 3 bed/1 bath models, which we're not as popular as the "L" 1280 sqft 3 bed/2 bath models.

The great thing about these is they came ready to add the master suite on and you have the space. by doing that, you could eliminate the bedroom opposite of he kitchen to expand your living area.

what concerns me the most is the second story addition next door. this totally threatens your privacy and outdoor living. In a house this small, you definitely do not want to cover your windows. I'd plant a grove of timber bamboo on that fence-line behind the garage for instant privacy.

I believe the cabinets in the kitchen are original, despite having swingout doors. most everything else is cosmetic. I would say it's in better condition than mine was.

check the heating system, slab, termites, and roof. if it checks out, you're OK. $40-$60K into this house could go a long ways towards restoring it back to it's original glory. It's good enough to live in while you do the work too.

this is the model, but without the master suite. you can see how a master suite addition would work, though:

djstwo
Modern Groupie

Postby djstwo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:37 pm

That might be a hidden gem right there. Jump on it while you can. Let the inspections tell you if you should walk away.

If you look at it on Google street view it used to have that other half of garage enclosed.

Use the Bing Birds Eye View to look around.

There are certainly some other similar Cliff May looking places nearby.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

SleazyG
Modern Fan

Postby SleazyG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”