EICHLER STREET NUMBERS PAINTED OVER

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

randolin
Modern Groupie

EICHLER STREET NUMBERS PAINTED OVER

Postby randolin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:17 pm

So why not report them to the city, who I presume have an interest in street numbers?

Also, what would a charity hope to achieve in doing this?
scowsa

randolin
Modern Groupie

Postby randolin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:38 pm

I will report it to the City as soon as I can figure out what department looks after it. A man appeared at my door yesterday claiming to be from the charity and requesting a "suggested donation of twenty dollars" for painting their ugly numbers on my curb.... sounds like a charity scam to me.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Call the POLICE! Vandalism aside, this is a clear case of extortion-illegal anywhere. It doesn't matter if its happening on public or private property.
Visit my Blog

Mrs.Smartipants
Modern Fan

Postby Mrs.Smartipants » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I know - don't even get me started about this and the other "charities" that seem to target our neighborhood. It just stunk of scam when I saw that flyer they put out. And sure enough, I just went and checked and we're painted too.

We were thinking about ordering the new eichler number stencil - now I really think we'll do it. Grrr! Anyway, if you're interested in redoing yours, too, send me a message. We're on Lisette as well.
That last time I saw Sir Reginald he was fighting off a bee.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

class action

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 pm

aargh. so sorry to hear this. i'd definitely second/third the suggestion of following up and looking for some sort of restitution from the "charity" -- even painting back a solid white patch so you can paint over.

as noted, a student of mine made up some stencils. you can find them at http://www.eichlerstencils.com ... the sets would last for 3-4 curbs, methinks before getting too hard to use. i sprayed jut a bit of super-77 on the back to get them to lightly stick to the curb when painting.

hoss
Modern Groupie

Postby hoss » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Here's the contact info for "care for the children":

Evidently, they do get permission from cities to offer this 'service', but if they ignored your request to be excluded, they should pay to have your number restored.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”