Mid Century Ranch Bathroom vanity fixtures

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cougarider
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mid Century Ranch Bathroom vanity fixtures

Postby cougarider » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Can anyone help me decide on a set modern mid century vanity fixtures for my guest bathroom? I have no idea what type of fixtures to replace these existing awful lights with. Nothing too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I guess it depends on your long term plan, in terms of how much "true MCM" you wish to end up vs. more modern -- which is can of worms this board occasionally dives into.

Also, be careful of approaching your house and rooms, and even individual items, piecemeal and try and develop a broader view of what overall look you want to achieve. For example, if you look at the bathrooms of many of the renovated or upgraded MCMs on the site or in Atomic Ranch mag you will often see a more modern bathroom versus one that is an actual MCM renovation.

There was a great bathroom thread a while back where one regular on the site who had upgraded his MCM got quite passionate about modern faucets being much better designed, from an aesthetic POV, than the originals in MCMs.
Here's that thread if you are interested but sadly many of the photo links are now dead.

I also hold the view that the faucet finish and style and bathroom sconce finish and style should relate to each other, so you need to think about whether you are keeping the faucets or changing those one day.

For example, some of the George Kovacs line from Lamps Plus uses clean lines and chrome, which complements more modern chrome faucets.

Here's a smaller and cheaper one in the same style
scowsa

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm

I've used these in several restovations - they look very close to the original lights used in my neighborhood (built in the 60s):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyapollo/4250472377/

About $30 at HD.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:45 pm

great suggestions Scowsa and johnnyapollo. Thanks!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:36 pm

I suggest you review some old shelter magazines from the '50s and '60s like Better Homes & Garden, Sunset, House & Garden, House+Home, etc (found on ebay) and then go into the market place and look for matches or are close. Building product recycle centers are a good place to find real vintage stuff too.

this link will help:

http://retrorenovation.com/galleries/1950s-kitchens/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:44 am

Alright....easy (under $1k total bathroom redo)...

I'm sure I'm going to get lots of flak for this but I saw your kitchen and I know this probably won't be the last work you do to the bathroom -- just something to make it more livable in the meantime. Here are some simple steps to really improve your bathroom. And this will probably make it a little more contemporary than historical, but it will match the kitchen:

- Remove crown molding

- Replace faucet with chrome narrow-spread - http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ha ... oduct.html

- Reframe the mirror with straight-cut trim

- Replace the light over the vanity with the Kovacs unit referenced above

- On the other side, extend the junction box to the ceiling and hang a pendant (the lack of symmetry without a second sink really bugs me -- you need a different light there)

- Repaint walls either white or some shade of gray.

- Order solid slab doors for your vanity - http://www.cabinetdoorshop.com/products.php?cat=118

- Paint vanity super dark brown / wenge color

- New vanity door hardware in chrome

- Replace window blinds with frosted film on the window

- Add frosted translucent shower curtain

- Replace soap dispenser with all-chrome version

Will these be perfect? No, but without wrecking the red tile and granite, I think it's the most cost-effective solution.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I agree with most of Stephen's changes other than some of the color choices, the light and faucet. I found that the least expensive chrome faucet (about $30 at HD or Lowes) works well with original tile - that's really the limitiing factor, in my opinion. When you go very "high-tech" on the fixtures it doesn't look right to me unless you go with a more modern look tile. Old glazed 4" tile, or simple glazed mosaic tile is just set off better with chrome fixtures that look like they could have been there from the beginning. Same with the lights - it's the mix of chrome and stainless, stones like granite (which was hardly ever used in most homes during the mid-mod period) for counters, etc that "foul" the design esthetic. However those are my opinions so take them for what they're worth.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:07 pm

The P&K Living Conditioned homes used a simple bathroom lighting fixture that incorporated a half tube of perforated metal. Sorry I didn't take pictures, but imagine a 5" diameter tube of perforated metal sliced down the middle.

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 am

Looks like there might be room for side lighting. If you need a shot of "gee, I don't look that bad" every once in a while side lighting will do it for you. Our "vanity" room has simple rows of side lights that are on a dimmer...really does the trick.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”