hide-a-way toothbrush holder revealed

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AJ Fisher
Modern Master

hide-a-way toothbrush holder revealed

Postby AJ Fisher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 pm

i remember these in my grandparent's home. i've been looking at BRING (local construction material recycling facility) for about 2 years for one of these and finally came across one last weekend. it's manufactured by hall-mack. the upper portion has slots to accomodate 4 toothbrushes and presumably a rinsing cup in the center. i believe the lower section once supported a removeable plastic tray.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm

nice, looks like in good shape.

Bring rules!

Scott NC
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Scott NC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 am

Sweet.
We got lucky enough to have all the sunk-ins when built.
toothbrush/soap, toilet paper, & kleenex knooks:)
p.s. don't mind the formica and wallpaper! It's on the list:)

Last edited by Scott NC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 am

they don't make those anymore. it's open season on bathrooms so those little details are rare!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 am

I like the formica, only the wallpaper must go.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Sweet. I've been looking for one of those sinks, American Standard?

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

built ins at OSH

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 am

SWWEEET toothbrush holder. I have the traditional wall mount type in my bath. While my 'lectric brush is waaay too big to go in there, I do find the cup holder a cool way to display a neat glass. Can't help thinking there is something else that could get displayed in the brush slots.

We've had good luck finding simple steel built ins at Orhcard Supply Hardware. At the end of the regular plumbing aisle, there is a sort of slumlord section. Which has the steel recessed tissue box holders, nice retractable line w clean looking steel mount for the shower/tub area, old hotel style towel racks, etc.
If you are going for mid-brow MCM authenticity, there are a few treasures there.

A few years ago, I got a genuine Lucite toilet seat embedded with shells, starfish, etc. there. It rocks! Alas, I saw last week that the new ones have FAKE shells in them. Glad I got mine.

OSH tends to have a bit of funky old timey stuff that's cool if you dig for it. But it's hard to top the habitat for humanity joints.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:33 am

I want one!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 am

I'm really surprised more integrated items like this haven't made a comeback with manufacturers. In an era of dishwashers that disappear and fridges that look like armoires, you'd think hiding toothbrushes, tp holders, and bathroom appliances garages would be commonplace.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Check out Robern bath products. They are high end and expensive. The medicine cabinets are available with integrated plugs.

http://www.robern.com/product/line/deta ... e=m_series

I have installed plugs in lots of cabinets over the years. Using Wiremold boxes in medicine cabinet and also mounting plugs behind drawers for hair dryers and such. I actually think I will take advantage of the extra depth we have in our Cliff May bath walls to make some custom recess cabinets that go in between the studs.

Krafty Gal
Modern Fan

Postby Krafty Gal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I'll check Osh when I get a chance.

Are there any online stores who might have these neat toothbrush holders?

Thank you!

Parkwood60
Modern Fan

Postby Parkwood60 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:58 pm

We have had them in the past, and I think we have a few right now at Liz's Antique Hardware in L.A....

A quick check reveals we have 3 of them, but only one has the plastic soap dish.

Were at 453 South La Brea, just a block north of Wilshire

Bryan

Krafty Gal
Modern Fan

Postby Krafty Gal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Thank you Bryan, I'll stop by soon!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”