Hide the ironing board?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
62P&K
Modern Master

Hide the ironing board?

Postby 62P&K » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm

anyone know of a decent looking way to hide the ironing board? I've seen a few wall-mounted solutions with a flip down board but either the price is crazy, they look like crap, or most often both...

I'm not handy enough to build anything like this I don't think, so something to buy would be awesome.

or if you have built yours, I would still be interested in seeing what it looks like
Jennie and Zane

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Do you really iron that much? So few folks do now days. I rarely do iron, but it is satisfying activity. I just did some pillowcases that I left out until almost dry instead of putting in the dryer. We keep an ironing board in a hall closet. That way it can be placed where one can watch TV and iron.

I just realized that anyone who sews would need and ironing place handy. Also for the more well off, a housekeeper often irons. I might be inclined to check salvage yards if the price of a new one seems too high. Also, the less accessorized they are the cheaper they will be. (built in iron holders, plugs, lights) I have also seen ironing boards that pull out of deep drawers. For that you would look a a cabinet supply place.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:26 pm

I would go to your local Habitat Home Store and look for older medicine cabinets. Then convert it somehow.
Or...
$175 NuTone:

~$99 Ikea's pull-out iron:
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/project- ... hen-7.html

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

"Do you really iron that much?"

This is one of the things that makes me think I'm borderline OCD. Neither me nor my girlfriend can leave the house without ironing something, as a result the ironing board is almost a permanent fixture in the dining area of our apartment. I'd love to have one of those ironing boards that folds into the wall or space for a room (laundry room?) dedicated to eradicating wrinkles. How do the rest of you live without ironing?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Drip dry.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:40 am

yeah, our uber dry climate allows for hanging laundry at night and by morning its dry, but its also wrinkly and bit crunchy. so a nice steamy iron fixes that. love ironing, hate having the board in the way and/or putting it up and down all the time.

thanks for the suggestions!
Jennie and Zane

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

a folding one that hides in the closet when not in use :idea:

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Try this link. I know I saw this somewhere else on the web recently but this is all I can find now.
http://www.designspotter.com/profile/Nils-wodzak.html

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”