Re-upholstery chairs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re-upholstery chairs

Postby MCMAdmirer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:18 pm

A few months ago, someone - I think it was Roger Thornhill - asked me to provide an update on the end results of the re-upholstery of some teak chairs.

Here's the background: I had recently bought my house last spring.

See:

I didn't have a dining room set to eat my meals. We've been eating off the breakfast bar all through last spring and most of last summer. Then, one day, my Dad stumbled upon a steal at an outdoor flea market, called Crosby Market in a small hamlet of Crosby at a busy crossroad in a cottage country in southeastern Ontario. It was an estate sale that a family just wanted to get rid of during a weekend. So, my Dad picked up a teak table with four teak chairs for $25 CDN.

Sure, it wasn't perfect. There's a gouge on one of the leaves for the table. I won't be using it that often. And, one of the chairs' legs are a bit whiter than the rest of it. Possibly left in a puddle of water? And, another chair has two screws adhering the back rest to the back legs. Otherwise, I think it was a very good buy.

My Dad the refinishing of the table and the chair. I helped out with cleaning down the chairs and with the reupholstery of 3 of the chairs.

The original fabric weren't pretty at all. See:

I've included some photos of the final chair that my Mom helped me to reupholster.

And, now here are some photos of the full dining room set:

Just two days, my Dad came over to help me remove the carpet in the living room. Here's a before picture of the living room (with the furniture that belonged to the previous house owners):

And, here are some photos to show what we found beneath the carpet:

I'll have to wait til Wednesday when I'll be talking with Dad over dinner and ask what we can do next to perhaps keep the floor. I like the look of it! I just hope that it can be salvaged.

Oh, by the way, if you remember my inquiry if my home is a MCM in another post, then I have some information to share with you. At the end of 2009, I received a piece mail from a municipal assessment organization. The mail said that the house was built in 1942. So, I guess it's pre-MCM at best! :D

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”