Help with my ranch exterior (fun with photoshop)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Help with my ranch exterior (fun with photoshop)

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Guys,

I'm trying to use photoshop to get some ideas for the exterior of my house. My wife and I want to focus on that part of the house in the upcoming year. I thought I would open it up to the group to give ideas and use this thread to get feedback on mine. I'll include a link to the photoshop file with layers cut out and the original photos and would love it if the photoshop-inclined would play around with it and show what they come up with. I also posted this over at Design Addict where a friend of mine got some good feedback on his plans.

A few of our current ideas:
1. We're looking into a standing seam metal roof (I don't like the current terra cotta tile looking one)
2. We like xeriscape/desert as well as California coastal type landscaping
3. We want to use rock in the front yard
4. We want to make the landscaping drought friendly
5. We are thinking of painting a sage green color with chocolate brown Fascia
6. The flag pole is going to go and we'll probably take out the two palms in the middle
7. We're buying a new flush garage door
8. We're likely going to get a Crestview door with a sidelight to replace the current double door.

I love mid-century modern homes, but I realize that our house is more mid-century and less modern. It was built in 1961. We'd like to keep it true to it's original form while making it more our style.

I look forward to getting feedback and seeing your suggestions!

-Tim

The photoshop file of the main photo:

The original full size photo file:

Last edited by Tim Young on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Here's a quick color change to sage green with the new garage door added.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm

And a taupe color with dark brown roof and fascia. Not too sure about this one.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

I like the taupe with brown. sage and brown is OK too.

if you're going to replace the doors, and one of them with be a side light, just put in a slab door and paint it a nice accent color like honey wheat or volcanic orange... save your self a lot of money.

if you're going with standing seam metal roof, I'd go for a natural metal/silver/gray color instead of brown. it would look better. plus a dark metal roof is going to absorb a lot heat (we've talked about this before)

good idea on the garage door.

I do like the shore pine. I'd work them into the landscape plan. not so sure about the palms. maybe move them. depends on plan.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for the comments Joe. I think it was you who recommended the natural colored metal roof when I brought this up before. I still like that idea and am planning to do a photoshop render and post it. Here's a rough idea for the door - wouldn't be this color though. Can't decide if I want to go with flat slab (particle board veneered) and paint or wood veneer and do a color stain. The particle board veneered door is $50 at Lowes and the wood veneered is $100. I do want to do an accent color, though. Here's a pic of the effect I would try to get with a wood veneered door.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 pm

that sidelight with a plain slab painted door would look good.. once it's painted, really doesn't matter whether it's wood or particle.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I like the taupe too.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 am

For those who are not Photoshop-ers, Sherwin Williams has a neat tool to test paint color combos. You can either upload a photo or use one of their stock designs, which includes a Ranch.

scowsa

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 am

I kind of like the double doors...not too fond of the kick plates or the...are those fish handles???

But if you do go w/ a sidelight, I think a solid door would look better than one w/ a cutout in it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 am

Off the top of my head:
Work with the roof. (Asian Modern was very MCM) Paint the facia the same color as the roof to blend it all better. Replace the gutters with simple box style, also painted the facia color. (except for the downspouts, they should follow the color of the areas they cross) Get rid of the slump block. (at least next to the house) What's with the moasic tile? Is this something you added?

For native landscape, try to go to plant sales. You will find more interesting things. Be prepared to do a lot of weeding until the new landscape fills in.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Van: at first I liked the double doors as well, but they're weird. They don't lock or open from the outside, so you can't leave the house from the front door and lock it. It really gets to be annoying. They lock at the top from the inside only. And yeah, those are fish handles. They're hilarious. My dad wants them and told me he'll install my new door in exchange for them.

Solid door without a cutout: maybe you're right. I think I'll get a plain door and live with that for awhile before cutting in the doorlight.

egads, I hate the block too. I do want to get rid of it, especially next to the house. I think I might go with a square block. I'll need to replace it with something, since there's no siding there.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:59 pm

scowsa

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am

egads, the original owner/builder of the house owned a tile company. He put the mosaic in. I actually really like it. I just need to figure out how to make it work. I agree that the entrance is too busy. I have some photoshop work to do...

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Latest rendering, with a color change to green, architectural shingle roof, and screen block wall out front. Thoughts?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:15 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:27 am

I don't mind the roof either, but I've said that before. Here is the real gist, focus or thrust of many of my opinions on these things: work with what you have. Identify what you have and then try to make it the best of what that is. A complete change is not easy, and may not be necessary.

Considering this house is in inland Southern California, it hot most of the year. I would consider a pergola across the front, creating shade and a sense of shelter. That would also allow a more lush tropical planting in there. I would probably get rid of not only the slump block planter, but also the tile above it. Replace that with board & batten like the rest of the house. There is just too much of that tile. It should be a featured item, not all over the place.
Less is more.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 am

I agree w/ egads--leave the roof. It does look Asian Modern and doesn't
make me think of those god awful terracotta roofs that mcmansions have.
It seems like it would be wasteful to replace a roof that has some
life left in it (I'm assuming it does).

If you did leave the roof, I'd probably paint the house a cool grey.
Something a little darker than what's there now.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Here's what the screen block wall would look like if I were to do that now without painting or changing the roof.

A thought I had for the planter was to change it to a bench, for the reason that egads brought up. The kids use that chair in the entryway to put shoes on and off, so that would at least give the structure there a purpose. I'm not sure what it would be made of - concrete? wood? The only reference for this that I have would be the built in outdoor concrete benches at the Frey house in Palms Springs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawktrainer/1784387326/

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 pm

scowsa

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:47 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 am

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 pm

modfan, are you thinking something like this?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:11 pm

I would not go there with the garage door. again, needless decoration that really doesn't fit your house.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Well nothing that fancy

Postby modfan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:56 pm

make em all 1 size at one side (1 on each rollup panel-4) and no diamond pane

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Here's a rendering of what a standing seam metal roof would look like.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Not near enough of an improvement to spend the money. The biggest change is having the eves match.

In fact, just painting the existing garage door the house body color, will make almost as much of a difference as changing it. (And you would have to paint a new one as well)

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Okay, here's a version with the existing roof painted (I can buy the paint and paint it myself), the window shade in the front room dyed to match the sage color, and with an idea I had where I would screw vertical battens into the garage door to match the battens on the house, cut so that they would fold with the horizontal garage doors. For this rendering I used the narrower battens that you see near the garage instead of the thicker ones elsewhere on the house. I know the shadows don't match so you'll have to use your imagination a bit.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:27 am

I have said it before, if you have a cathedral ceiling, you would be best to go with a lighter colored roof. In your case, light gray would be a good choice.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”