Woodland Hills Tract?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

streinen
Modern Master

Woodland Hills Tract?

Postby streinen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:05 pm

Are there any Valley-ites out there who happen to know the history of the modernist tract at the west end of Woodland Hills? I have seen it referred to as Woodland West, but I'm curious if someone knows anything more. I recently moved into the neighborhood in a 1960 modern house, and I'm sad to report that my wife and I are the only people in the neighborhood who have an interest in restoring our house to its original appearance.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:39 pm

use the search tool for this board on the word "corbin"

you'll get hits back regarding the tract often called corbin palms - there is at least one other homeowner from your neighborhood who has posted here...

streinen
Modern Master

Thanks!

Postby streinen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:58 pm

I'm not sure if Corbin Palms is the tract. The neighborhood in question is both north and south of the 101, near Valley Circle Blvd/Mulholldand Drive. The tract is extensive in size, perhaps several hundred houses. From what I know they all share a common living room/family room floorplan divided by a 2-sided fireplace, high beamed ceilings, interesting front patios w/ concrete block sunshades, and typically 3-5 bedrooms. I also know the tract was built in 1960-61.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Zelzah
Modern Socialite

Woodland West

Postby Zelzah » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Streinen- You are right. It is called Woodland West - not Corbin Palms. I have been to a house in that tract and they are amaizing if you find one with the original bones. I often see them in TV commercials. They also offer a lot of square footage. Post pictures.

streinen
Modern Master

Woodland West

Postby streinen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:18 pm

Zelzah--yes, I've seen houses in the neighborhood in several commercials. Also, a Woodland West was prominently featured in the recent Nicolas Cage movie "Matchstick Men," which uses many Valley modern locations in its scenes.

I have been unable to find any historical sources on the architect/developer for the WW tract. Any ideas?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

It might be this one

Postby modfan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:12 pm

Go to the residential, sgl family, various and on page 2 there are 4 images of the homes from the Bob Hope Bachelor in Paradise movie. Perhaps these are them-anyone know if these of some of the Palmer & Kriesel designed Alexander Homes-the Palm Springs pics in the Alexander Gallery look similar.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:19 am

Modfan--Yes! Those are definitely houses from the tract. Now, do you know "Bachelor in Paradise" any good? I'd be interested to see it to try and get some footage on what the neighborhood looked like in 1961.

It's a shame, really, as few original residents are still left in the neighborhood to offer any historical perspective. Anyhow, thanks so much for the tip!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:46 am

The Bachelor in Paradise house is at 22931 Brenford At Miradel. The street name was changed in the movie and identified as Catherine Ave.

Don't miss the brief clip of the orange zig zag roofline of the Woodland Hills Bowling Alley Coffee Shop!

streinen
Modern Master

Glad I Joined this Board!

Postby streinen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:09 am

Thanks Megamail! Are you referring to the coffee shop at the Woodlake Lanes (Ventura at Woodlake)? What a treasure that building is.

I'm off to Amazon.com to buy the movie. Thanks again!

modfan

Some of the trivia I remember from the movie was

Postby modfan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:19 am

The house was painted "California Coral" and you had a choice of a garbage disposal OR dishwasher. And the car was a 61 Chrysler.

streinen
Modern Master

Fantastic!

Postby streinen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:30 am

This is great. I never expected to get this level of information! I really appreciate it--it really adds a new perspective to my home. It saddens me that I might be the only homeowner in my tract who appreciates the architecture of the period. I've been going to open houses in the neighborhood, trying to get a glimpse of what the neighboring houses look like inside. Overwhelmingly, they've been "updated" and stripped of original detail. Mine, thankfully, was 90% original!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:55 am

Support this site and use this link please!!!

Bachelor in Paradies at Amazon.com...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 6476/ll-20

And yes, it was the Woodlake Bowl.

modfan

So anyone know...

Postby modfan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:51 pm

Are these Palmer & Kriesel designed Alexanders?

streinen
Modern Master

Not Sure

Postby streinen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:30 pm

I've been tyring to find out who the architect/developers were for this tract. Do you know of any resources that could at least point me in the right direction?

ValleyModern
Modern Master

woodland west

Postby ValleyModern » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:42 pm

I used to own one of these homes. I pulled the permits on mine and there was no architect listed. I can't remember the name of the developer, but I'll dig it out and see.

Otis

streinen
Modern Master

Thanks Otis!

Postby streinen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:24 am

Otis--when did you live in the neighborhood? I'm trying to uncover any links to the past that can help me piece together information about the original look of the homes in the tract.

Did you live in a house with the family room/living room divided by a 2 sided fireplace?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:26 am

this sounds like a place I need to visit in my next trip south. Where in the Valley is Woodland West?

I just saw Matchstick Men. It ended up being a good movie even though I rented it to just check out the house!

streinen: I know what you mean. I live in a similar situation. While some homes have received horrid remodels, luckily a few remain pristine original. I have gone out of my way to share my research about the architect with them. The more I studied the original details, the better I felt about my bank repo I have been nursing back to its mid-century charm for the past three years.

Both Ed Fickett and Palmer & Krisel designed many different homes for many builders. Does anyone know who designed in WW? Please post some pics and I'll see if I can recognize anything from my archives. What year was the tract built?

streinen
Modern Master

Woodland West

Postby streinen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:49 am

Joe--Yeah, Matchstick Men really was pretty good. It was funny--I saw a commercial for the movie before it came out, and it showed Nicholas Cage standing in front of the stone fireplace. I had just moved into my house, and I looked at the fireplace/ceiling and thought, hey, that's my house! It wasn't my exact house, but it was the same floorplan. The front exterior shots used in the film are not a WW, though the backyard exterior shots were. The article below talks about the production of the movie and why they used the WW house:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Matchst ... /about.php

I will post pictures as soon as I can. The tract was built in pieces (there are 3 separate sections, built between '58 and '61. I don't know who the architect or developer was. Basically, every house has the same floorplan, and there were a myriad of choices for the front facade. You could go very modern or very ranch. Most people who move into the neighborhood overhaul the houses, putting inappropriate front door (it's alway the front door first, isn't it?), French windows and picket fences up to de-modernize the look. The resulting effect is ofen ridiculous.

I highly encourage folks to explore WW, and the last mile or so of Ventura Blvd. There are a number of prime examples of midcentry architecture, including a bowling alley (Woodlake Lanes) and a diner (Bobby's) that has been in business since the late 40's.

ValleyModern
Modern Master

woodland west

Postby ValleyModern » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:17 am

I sold my Woodland West home last summer. I have been inside many of the homes and have seen many different floorplans. Mine had a fireplace that was on the back wall, so it did not divide the living/dining areas. It had a cool planter/dividing wall that seperated the kitchen from the dining room. Some homes have 4 bedrooms, and some have 3, but with a larger master. Mine had the larger master with a walk-in closet, dressing area with built-in vanity, and master bath that doubled as powder room with a second door off the entry hall. Many of these homes came with state-of-the-art intercom/radio systems with a very space-age command center in the kitchen. Mine was gone, save for a the non-functioning speaker units in the bedrooms. My kitchen had the original Gaffers & Sattler oven and cooktop, both of which worked quite well. I can't seem to locate the permits I pulled for my house, but as I said, there was no architect listed and I had never heard of the builder/developer.

Otis

streinen
Modern Master

Woodland West

Postby streinen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:33 am

Otis--yes, my house still has the intercom system, though it does not work. It has a the control center on the kitchen wall (next to the door leading to the garage).

Our houses sound similar, as we have the 3 bedroom with the larger master as well. We have the built-in vanity but not a walk-in closet. It seems that people had quite a few choices in customizing their houses. Our second bathroom is probably in the same location as yours, but it's a "jack and jill" bath that opens up to the two bedrooms it divides and not into the hallway.

Did you live in the neighborhood long?

streinen
Modern Master

Matchstick House

Postby streinen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:59 am

Joe--check out the gallery under Residential Architecture-Single Family Homes-Gregory Ain homes gallery (picture 4) for the house that was used for the exterior front house shots in MM.

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/marv ... hborhood_1

modfan

If only the folks that knew who live in Woodland West

Postby modfan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:48 am

streinen
Modern Master

Cage

Postby streinen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:05 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:07 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Cage

Postby streinen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:30 pm

modfan

Found a link to 'Paradise Village' from Bachelor in Paradise

Postby modfan » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:08 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Paradise Village

Postby streinen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:24 pm

modfan

I drove thru (for those out of area)

Postby modfan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:06 am

ValleyModern
Modern Master

you drove through

Postby ValleyModern » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:43 am

That small tract along Calabash is very similar to the P+K's found in Corbin Palms, but they are not by P+K. I pulled the permits on one of them and there was either no architect listed, or an architect of which I had never heard.

Otis

streinen
Modern Master

Tract

Postby streinen » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:19 pm

Modfan--yes, the tract is actually very large. I believe the tract on the south side of the 101 is referred to as Woodland South, while the portion north of the freeway is Woodland West. They were built by the same developer and share common floorsplans/finishing touches. I'd say that at least half of the tract is on the north side, extending north nearly to the intersection of Victory Boulevard and Valley Circle.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”