Woodland Hills Tract?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

streinen
Modern Master

Bachelor in Paradise

Postby streinen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:57 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:24 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:00 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Got a glance of these homes

Postby modfan » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:55 am

PreserveLA
Modern Socialite

Woodland West

Postby PreserveLA » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:25 am

News, Information & More at http://www.preservela.com !

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:16 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:04 pm

Sure enough, I found my deed last night and Don Ja Ran/Peerless are listed as the partnership who built my tract, which according to the document, is about 6 blocks in size. I had mistakenly assumed that the entire area had been built as one large tract.

The idea that they are actually several smaller tracts seems to be true, as the houses appear in spots here and there, often time seperated by tracts that are clearly different designs/builders. Was it common for a series of house designs to be essentially "syndicated" and used by different builders?

PreserveLA
Modern Socialite

Postby PreserveLA » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:58 am

News, Information & More at http://www.preservela.com !

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:48 pm

modfan

I just found a group of homes the same

Postby modfan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:10 pm

as the Woodland West tract-in Tarzana just west of the Caballero Country Club-the nice thing about these is there are underground utilities-so no mess of wires overhead. When I win the lottery I would put that area at the top my my new home list. Anyone know more details of this tract-name etc.?

60000MPH
Modern Master

Re: I just found a group of homes the same

Postby 60000MPH » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:57 pm

laberu
Modern Groupie

woodland west

Postby laberu » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:52 am

We are just closing on a four bedroom woodland west home in woodland hills. They really are incredible - wide open, etc. We are considering opening up up the kitchen to the main area and closing the kitchen entrance from the foyer. Has anyone done something like this, and, most importantly, does anyone know of a way to access floor plans to this great home. Ours was built in 1963. Thanks.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Hello Woodland West Neighbor

Postby WW_Owner » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:28 pm

60000MPH
Modern Master

Re: Hello Woodland West Neighbor

Postby 60000MPH » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:17 pm

[ Although WW already have an open floorplan, it opened it up further. I would suggest that you go for it. My wife and I will probably do the same thing in 2006.[/quote]

Hello, Do you know the actual boundaries for Woodland West? Do you know whose plans were used for the various sections and layouts of the tracts within the development? Maybe you know someone who does know more about Woodland West. I am looking into those houses myself. I was in one two years ago that had a pool and was mostly original. I almost leased it but we went to pacific Palisades instead. Now we need to find a place in Woodland Hills or Encino-Sherman Oaks-Tarzana.
Thanks,
Jason

laberu
Modern Groupie

looking for a woodland west

Postby laberu » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:44 am

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Woodland West Boundaries

Postby WW_Owner » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:56 am

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Woodland West

Postby ValleyModern » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:07 pm

I thought that the homes south of ventura were called "Woodland South." I know that a lot of Realtors refer to them as such, and the homes around Valley Circle as "Woodland West." I used to own what I thought was a "Woodland South" a few years back. I was south of Ventura and east of Mulholland. It is a very large tract. Anyway, I pulled permits and there was no architect listed.

Cheers.

Craig Terrien
www.ValleyModern.com
Craig Terrien
Deasy/Penner & Partners
www.ValleyModern.com

modfan

So what is the tract

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:39 am

called of these homes just to the west of Caballero Country Club in Tarzana.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Re: Woodland West

Postby WW_Owner » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:32 am

[quote="ValleyModern"]I thought that the homes south of ventura were called "Woodland South." I know that a lot of Realtors refer to them as such, and the homes around Valley Circle as "Woodland West." .

Yes, “Woodland Southâ€￾ is used by some realtors to refer to basically the same floorplan as Woodland West for homes located south of Ventura Blvd. But the description “WSâ€￾is used less often.

Many “WSâ€￾ described homes did not have the double-sided fireplace separating the living and family room. Many had only one fireplace in the living room. In general, WW homes were a little larger (square footage wise). I would say that the average WW home is about 2,400 sq feet while WS is about 2,100 sq feet.

streinen
Modern Master

WW Kitchen Remodel

Postby streinen » Tue May 31, 2005 10:22 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue May 31, 2005 11:10 am

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Re: WW Kitchen Remodel

Postby WW_Owner » Tue May 31, 2005 1:12 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 31, 2005 1:20 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue May 31, 2005 1:27 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue May 31, 2005 4:24 pm

I still have my rock roof but it's more of a sand-colored tone. It's possible that it was originally white rock, as many of the surrounding houses still have that.

I think the main challenge I have is the direction the rooms face--due west. At 5 PM on a 100 degree day, the living/dining room and family rooms are downright oppressive to be in. The afternoon sun beats down on the glass and roof, and the presumably non-insulated wall.

The bedrooms in the house, which have sheetrocked ceilings, are noticably cooler. Even the master, which faces west also, is much cooler than the beamed ceiling rooms.

I am also at a lower elevation than you if you are west of Valley Circle. I am just east of the high school on Dubois, which is basically flat ground. It's possible that is a factor in getting fewer breezes.

laberu
Modern Groupie

Postby laberu » Tue May 31, 2005 7:57 pm

We are just starting the process of redoing our WW kitchen. In fact we are meeting with contractors this week. We are also having a designer create a new layout to integrate the entire kitchen area. The challenge you speak about is the exact one we have been pondering. The odd way to bring the eating and kitchen areas together... The extention of the soffet is an interesting idea. Seems to be a key to uniting the look. We too had thought of the addition of cabinets against the garage wall along with an island. All that being said, we are anxious to see what the designer creates.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Postby WW_Owner » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:57 pm

If you do decide on keeping the wall that separates the kitchen and dining/family room (to maintain the wall and cabinet space), one thing you may want to consider is removing only a small part of the wall (probably around 3 feet in width) that would normally be occupied by a two door upper cabinet. At the same time still retain the countertop and cabinets below the open space above. You’ll lose the upper cabinet space but this will open up the kitchen to the dining/family room quite nicely as well.

Good luck on your remodeling project. Please post before and after pics when you’re done.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:59 pm

How does one go about posting pictures? I don't have all of my before & after pics ready, but I do have a picture of the kitchen/living room wall torn down that would help folks visualize what's being talked about here.

modfan

you can....

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:45 pm

private email the our hostess (MM Stratton-Futura Girl) and ask for a password to the gallery and post the pics per the gallery instructions.
Or put them in the post-go to a photo website (like your photos at Yahoo or photobucket.com) or probably a photosite where you DON'T have to sign in to VIEW your photos upload them there and then block & copy the URL when your right click on your photo's 'properties' then post here and paste in that url in your post. (If you use a site where you have to sign in to view them when you sign out your photos will just be an X in your post here).

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/steve_tre ... .dir=/f8ea

Sorry it's a little dark, but I think you can get a sense of what it's like with that wall removed. One idea I toyed with was going with overhead cabinets and a countertop on the kitchen side, then a bar-level counter on the living room side for dining. In the end, there weren't enough spots to stash the appliances if that entire wall could not be used to house them.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”