Woodland Hills Tract?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

streinen
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby streinen » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 pm

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/steve_tre ... ea&.view=t

Here's the complete before/during/after album for the kitchen.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thanks for sharing your photos

Postby WW_Owner » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:33 am

Very Cool looking kitchen. Looks like it cost you a pretty penny.

I like the tile work and the extended soffit. Also, that hood looks great. Who makes it? What type of countertop did you install? I could not tell from the pics.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:32 am

Yes, I managed to rationalize the expense by looking at the difference between what I bought the house for and what it would/could sell for with a good kitchen. I got in 2 years ago and the market in the neighborhood has just exploded. I don't want to move, so I decided to reinvest in the house...as well as get a kitchen my family can enjoy.

The hood is from www.eurokitchen.com. They sell some unique looking hoods that you don't see at appliance showrooms. Also, the prices are reasonable compared to some of the major brands.

The counter is Caesarstone. We chose this material for it's hardness, heat resistance and looks. Originally we wanted Corian because of the monotone, consistent solid surface look. Almost every professional we spoke to warned us to stay away from Corian because it is just not durable. It looks awesome, though. The Caesarstone we chose is close in looks to a white Corian, but looks like stone when you look at it up close. It feels like Granite, and I was told that it is actually harder than real granite.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Postby WW_Owner » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:57 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:15 pm

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Postby WW_Owner » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:34 pm

laberu
Modern Groupie

Postby laberu » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:32 am

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Matchstick Men

Postby Chrisgreen » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:52 am

FYI, I didn't see Matchstick Men, but I used to live in the Laurel Hills neighborhood (off Mulholland between Coldwater and Laurel Canyon in Hollywood Hills West) -- and they used a house there for a big "Matchstick Men" shoot about 3 years ago. (There were signs that said Matchstick Men). I think they used it for mostly interior shooting. There were big trucks all up and down the street for at least a week. The house was a long low ranch/modern.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 am

"Drywall over the entire 2-sided brick fireplace wall"???

Why?
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There were several

Postby modfan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:38 am

open houses in WW over the wknd.
Only 1 I liked tho-(other than 2 close to fwy & no ug utils)-would have wanted to change the mbr window/sgd config. Wasn't too badly remodeled. But some were-even the bigger more expensive ones-don't they know when to stop....all were in the (gasp!) $800 range.

There was a $900's home in Valley Circle Estates (down from 1 mill)-deco was kinda 80's faux spanish style motel (I'm thinkin old Super Eight) with paddle tennis court and det. rec. rm.-seems to me it would a hard sell.
There was a less expensive one down the block that was much better.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:38 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Well if I win the lottery

Postby modfan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:46 pm

I really like the ones just east of Caballero Country Club-are those goin for more-look like the same houses only w/underground util.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Postby WW_Owner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:01 pm

If I remember correctly, those homes are in neighboring Tarzana and are different from WW homes. The exterior is similar to WW but the inside is a bit different. Also, these homes are generally around 3000 sq feet and bigger. The biggest original WW home is no more than 2600/2700 sq feet. And yes, they are running at least a mil in price.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:53 pm

I believe the farthest east that WW reaches is just shy of Topanga Canyon (small section of houses east of Shoup/south of Burbank).

mladish
Modern Socialite

Woodland Hills tract

Postby mladish » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:51 am

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:29 am

Hi Melanie,

WW owners are coming out of the woodwork!

It's interesting that your street had model homes--mine did as well, at least that is what I've been told. In fact, the former owner of my house claimed that my garage was the sales office for the tract. I know that the tract was built in phases, ranging from 1959 through 1963, so it's possible that we both live in former models for the seperate phases. In fact, the deed for my house depicts my tract as only being a few blocks in size, maybe 30 homes total. Obviously WW has several hundred houses. In fact, I've heard many people mention that the neighborhood south of the 101 was called Woodland South, not Woodland West. Do you know if that's true? I've also heard that the WS interior layouts are slightly different from those of WW.

Glad to hear from you!

mladish
Modern Socialite

WW

Postby mladish » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:48 am

The model homes are actually across from me and down the street. I will talk with my neighbor today and get the lowdown and check on if she can get ahold of the brochure for me. My house is 3bed/1.75ba. on 13000sq ft lot
We are in the process of designing a 1000 sq ft addition with the landscaping to follow. We are also going to open the kitchen into the two rooms and lose what was the closet area which the former owners turned into a bar. It seems like a good idea to get the owners from the WW area or WS who are interested in retaining the original mistique of our homes together somehow for home tours!?! Anyone interested?
Melanie

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:18 am

laberu
Modern Groupie

Postby laberu » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 am

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

Postby chubby1968 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Hello there --

I was wondering how your restoration is coming along. I am very familiar with that area in Woodland Hills. There is a store in Pasadena, called Space Bank Design that has restoration materials for Modern Homes.

KevinEP
Modern Master

Space Bank

Postby KevinEP » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:37 am

Interesting.

Where is it? Is it new material or salvage?

Kevin

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

Postby chubby1968 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:15 am

It's a store in Pasadena, Space Bank Design that is run by two women that carry materials such as tile, wallcoverings, rugs, lighting and house numbers, etc. All the surfaces for a Modern restoration. No furniture or salvaged materials. They are really informative and can help you find rare items. What they don't carry, they know where to get it.

My friend's used them, and their house came out better than you could have ever imagined. It's a tract house, right off Topanga before Mulholland.

mladish
Modern Socialite

Space Bank

Postby mladish » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 am

Where is the store located in Pasadena?

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

Postby chubby1968 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:27 am

346 S Pasadena Ave
Pasadena, Ca. 91105

626-396-6993

Call to make sure they are there before you go. They tend to be busy with clients and can be hard to reach.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

How's your Woodland West project coming along?

Postby WW_Owner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:55 pm

laberu,

How's your Woodland West project coming along? Please post pics when you get a chance.

laberu
Modern Groupie

Woodland West models

Postby laberu » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:56 pm

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:46 pm

According to the previous owner of my house, the 5500 block of Dubois Avenue consisted of model homes. I don't know what other streets were models for that phase of the development. I assume that there were other pockets of models throughout the WW development, because my block adn the surrounding blocks only feature about 5 of the 10+ different Woodland West styles that I have seen throughout the area. It seems that the sections on either side of Valley Circle have different styles, as do the areas south of the 101. All in all, I would bet that the development was built in 4-5 different phases. I do know that the construction took place between 1958 and 1963. My house was built in 1960, with the adjoining phase having been built in 58.
I have yet to find anyone in the area who has had luck finding brochures, ads, etc.

laberu
Modern Groupie

Postby laberu » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks so much for the information. We saw a couple of WW open houses this weekend (like to get ideas). One was basically a complete fixer with a pool and a lot of land, just reduced from $865.000 to $799.950. The other was beautifully done with an add on and a smaller pool yard offered at $899.000.
We ran into other WW owners getting ideas at these open houses too. Also of interest, there is currently a WW located on El Canon just east of Valley Circle on the market for $1.385.000. A bit over-priced.

WW_Owner
Modern Fan

Postby WW_Owner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:11 am

laberu,

Is your WW remodel complete? If so, please post pics..

Jkelley209
Modern Groupie

well i found the house that was in the bob hope movie

Postby Jkelley209 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:36 pm

Bachelor in Paradise it is a Woodland South home located at 22931 Brenford St. 91364 .. you can't believe how full grown trees can change the look of the neighborhood.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”