need suggestions on where to buy furniture.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

heximer
Modern Socialite

need suggestions on where to buy furniture.

Postby heximer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:53 pm

been looking for a month and haven't really found anything. macys has some nice stuff, but it's pretty pricey. i know ikea has some ok stuff too, but am wondering if anyone knows of other places to look either online or in las vegas.
i've been in almost every thrift store, vintage store, and consignment mart that i know of and still have zero new furniture.

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 pm

you need to jump on the craigslist bandwagon. Many more where this came from...
BTW, why do you want "new" furniture?

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 pm

when i say new, i mean new to me. if been looking at craigslist quite a bit too. spent hours looking and have found nothing i like.
i'm going to keep looking, but im not holding my breath.

markjudep
Modern Master

Postby markjudep » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:44 am

Highbrowfurniture.com is great to deal with. They have free shipping and no taxes, and all of their furniture is licensed -- no knock-offs.

I've gotten a lot on eBay, too.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

I have had good luck with yard sales and estate sales. some pieces from vintage stores. only one piece from a high-priced repro store. it's taken me 7-8 years. I kind of see my furniture as evolving, depending on my budget.
Last edited by Joe on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Vintage is better 99% of the time

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 am

May I suggest that not only will vintage furniture get you the authentic look, but that it is simply a great deal? Think about it: furniture that has already been through 50 years of wear and tear and still works....for a lot longer.
In my experience, it is rare that anything new and remotely affordable is as well made as pieces that have stood the test of time.

Another strategy that might work well for you is to go to larger antique malls or collectives. Yes, they will have many things in them that are not MCM, but what is there may be more reasonably priced based on the lower amount of overhead required to sell in those venues.
If having a "name brand" i.e.; eames, knoll, bertoia, wegner, etc. is important to you, you may pay dearly in those places. Otherwise, there are a lot of goodies hiding for those willing to look....often MCM fans don't shop these places, and you may be able to bargain for items that have been there a bit.

Case in point:

We got our gorgeous Russell Wright ( by Conant Ball) table with 3 leaves and 4 chairs for only $600 from such a place. It was somehow mis-labeled as Haywood Wakefield...whatevs. I later found another 2 chairs on ebay. What a deal! What kind of repro set are you going to get for $700???
Even if it's cute, it is likely to be cheap and fall apart quickly.

As for ebay-I love it to complete sets of items, but generally not to start out. I want to touch and feel things the first time out. And I don't think I'd be comfortable buying a chair I couldn't sit in first, just to see whether it is comfortable or not. Buying the mate to one I already have-yes.

Craigslist in Vegas or LA should do well for you. Ditto the estate sales. If the thrill of the hunt doesn't grab you, that is when you might be willing to pay premium to shop in an MCM dedicated vintage shop. Otherwise, you can do better on your own. Make it your own. It should be FUN, not work!

Happy Hunting,

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

It would help if you told us a bit more about what you are looking for. Also what styles -- just MCM, or maybe modern but not necessarily MC?
scowsa

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 pm

I suggest going through some mid-century books/magazines of interiors you like. notice rooms that are similar to yours in size/shape. Become familiar to types of furniture and their designer. Begin to imagine how your room will layout. imagine what furniture will work in the space. even draw the layout. from there, you can establish a list of what you want.

search vintage stores, online, ebay, yard/estate sales, craigslist, local dealers, auctions, friends, etc.

once you know what you're looking for, it's pretty easy.

caution: avoid buying too much at one time. changing your mind happens. don't buy something because you really like it, buy it because you like it AND it works in the room it's going into. certain dinette sets and sofas often don't fit the space you are attempting to furnish.

lastly, authentic mid-century furniture, identified by brand and designer hold there value over time. contemporary furniture often loses value.

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 am

scowsa

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:53 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:34 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:51 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:19 pm

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

thanks for all the help and the links.
i don't really care all that much about the names. i guess i'm just looking for the style. while i want the house to look nice, i don't want to have to worry about an expensive/unreplaceable sofa getting damaged during a party or by my dog.
i assume all this will change once i fill my house with random pieces from ikea or where ever else i may find stuff.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm

OK, here's my input on sources for new stuff that has an MCM feel, if you do not want to wait for vintage items to be available.

Sofas -- several stores sell a model with an MCM look -- tufted and buttoned cushions and wooden legs -- such as this one from Crate and Barrel

Macy's also have their Corona collection

One of the nicest computer desks I have seen lately is from CB2 who do mail order. We have a CB2 store here in LA and I have seen it "in the flesh."

Obviously this is more a laptop desk rather that a full workstation.

CB2 is the more modern version of Crate and Barrel. They also do Century -- a funky bedroom storage set with hairpin legs
scowsa

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 am

Jennie and Zane

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:31 am

If you search on eBay, you can browse anything using the generic search "Eames" (eames sofa, eames lamps, etc), and you can also sort things so that items closest to your zip code appear first.

This might be a good way of figuring out things you respond to, and start seeing who George Nelson is, or Paul McCobb is, etc... after you begin to educate yourself, and figure out what sorts of things you like, you can begin to refine your searches, whether it be ebay, craigslist, or whatever.

This you can do without subscribing to a magazine or picking up a book.

I wholeheartedly agree that you need to be patient, figure out what you want before you really buy much of anything. You are guaranteed to make some potentially costly mistakes as you educate yourself, and your tastes change.

Slim and Gabby

some ebay ideas

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Since we are all jumping on the ebay bandwagon, let me say that it is a good place to see some of what is out there. That said, there is a LOT of stuff mislabeled, or misleadingly labeled, mostly by folks who don't know better. My pet peeve is overuse of "RARE!" and attribution to the wrong designer just to get hits. Selig and Wegner seem to be the names du jour. Don't say some big cushy overstuffed tomato of a chair is Eames....just don't.

You might try doing some saved searches on ebay. Danish Modern doesn't seem to mean what you think, and is a good way to see lots of midcentury stuff.

I'm looking for the partner to a chair we have, and have seen some MCM loungers. I'll post here if I see more.

This is certainly inexpensive, and could be really cute if re-upholstered in vinyl or leather or retro fabric:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RETRO-CHAISE-LOUNGE ... 2ea849b7aa

If you want inexpensive, stylish new stuff a la Ikea, you might check out Eurway from Texas. I haven't bought furniture, but a rug and some really cute retro danish lighting. Prices are excellent, and it won't be the same as somebody else's Ikea:
http://www.eurway.com/index.lasso?-sess ... Mit416AB26

Give yourself permission to have fun!
We can't wait to see pictures later...

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 am

Continuing on the Ebay theme, this modernist blog does a nice post each week of Ebay finds, including a cool Photoshop of them. Here's is this weeks.

scowsa

casiep
Modern Socialite

Postby casiep » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am

There's also the vintage section www.etsy.com

Not as expansive as ebay but sometimes you can find some good deals. If nothing else it's just fun to look. There are also MCM-inspired handmade furniture pieces that might suit your needs.
Mid-century Finds and Recreations NEW IN THE SHOP - Handmade Modern Birdhouses

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:39 pm

thanks everyone!

Slim and Gabby

lounge alert!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:31 am

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 am

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am

cougarider
Modern Socialite

auctions/estate sales

Postby cougarider » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”