need suggestions on where to buy furniture.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

heximer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby heximer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 pm

@cougarider-

i've been using one estate sale vendor for a while, but either nothing comes up that's any good or i have to work.
there are very few decent estate sales here. not many homes in vegas are older than 20 years.

@ Slim and Gabby-
i realize it takes time, but patience is something i'm not at all good at. i wonder if there will be people in 20 years wanting the "help i can't get up" necklace.

alexforum
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Contour chair on Ebay

Postby alexforum » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 am

Saw this on Ebay and remembered this thread...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-LOUNGE-CON ... 1c112740f5

-quite pricey if you ask me...

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 am

alexforum:
that is a bit pricey, but i'd be willing to pay that much for the right color and if i could pick it up locally.
thanks for posting. i keep looking at estate sales, yard sales, and auctions, but have yet to see one.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 am

I think to be realistic, "locally" might have to include LA or Phoenix.

And another thing all collectors experience: as soon as you find and buy something, you will happen along one dirt cheap or even free. Sort of like the concept of throwing something out and then a couple of weeks later, needing it.

alexforum
Modern Socialite

Postby alexforum » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am

here's a cheaper one. Not local at all, but at that price, shipping might be another option... Although I would understand if you'd prefer to see the chair IRL before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RETRO-MOD-ORIGINAL- ... 439e216e3f

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 am

egads- unfortunately i realize that l.a., san diego, and phoenix are local when it comes to mid-mod. the main problem is las vegas didn't have a lot of people here until the '80's. it was a very small place with very few homes.

alexforum- i'd like to see the chair irl, but for the right color and the right price, i'd be willing to do shipping. i'm surprised with how many contour chairs are on e bay right now (3). usually one shows up every month or two. usually all are pick up only and on the east coast.

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 pm

i got my contour lounge chair yesterday! i've been wanting one since i was 5 and i finally got it.
it's white vinyl and in great shape.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:42 am

Thats Awesome that you found one!!! just wanted to include that I have found a "few" collectors in my area FINALLY... through lots of searching of craigslist and blogs I found a few people that find, collect, refurbish, clean and sell pieces of MCM furniture!!! so it will be so nice to pick up some pieces once our renovation is complete. For our sofa we are going to go the route of IKEA, because we really need a sectional piece. We will need some side chairs, but that will be a bit easier to get wood and have the cushions upholstered, if need be. You don't see to many beds, but they are out there. I am also in need of a whole house "furniture make over" I know it can be frustrating when you just can't go to the store and "buy" it but you'll appreciate it much more LOL

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 pm

blinkbeforebeauty
Modern Socialite

Postby blinkbeforebeauty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I am a bit late to this tread, but I actually am a vintage furniture collector on the side and sell a lot of what I can't use in my eichler. check out:

http://aa-mod.com

I have mostly good condition vintage mcm furniture at good prices. Back into lurk mode again....
cheers
Brian

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm

alexforum
Modern Socialite

Postby alexforum » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:50 am

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Yay! You found it!

Look out-now that you've succeeded, you know you'll be able to do it again. Sounds like you've got your vintage mojo on!

Enjoy that chair-good taste that tastes good.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:18 pm

here's my new contour lounge chair.

mrsmiley
Modern Groupie

Postby mrsmiley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 am

How is the rest of the house coming along?
It's hard to keep smiling when 'they' keep tear ing down my favorites places!

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:31 am

it's coming along slow, but steady. we're having a rough time finding drapes and haven't even bothered with flooring yet due to cash flow. i was going to post some new photos yesterday, but i can't remember how to do it.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Jennie and Zane

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”