TILE HELP!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

TILE HELP!

Postby ksjoyner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:51 pm

I know that there are threads about '50s and '60s bathroom tile - but I am looking for tile that is from the '70s. It is not square or rectangle, but kind of a Christmas ornament shape, if that makes ANY sense at all. The color is beige, but I can use any color and then refinish it when I refinish the tub. Everything was cool in my bath until last night when my husband fell against the faucet in the tub, literally breaking it off inside of the wall and crushing some of the tiles. If anyone knows what I am talking about and where I could find these tiles, please let me know.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:01 am

Call these folks and send a picture.

Mortarless Building Supply Co
2717 Fletcher Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90039-2412
(323) 663-3291

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 am

I had a very good experience with matching discontinued tile at Greenwich Tile. I sent them one of the damaged tiles from 1963 and they matched it perfectly.

Greenwich Tile & Marble Company
402 W Putnam Ave
Greenwich, CT 06830
(203) 869-1709

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Postby ksjoyner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks so much!!!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Looks like folks have you covered on tile replacements, but FYI, I know EXACTLY the shape you are speaking of. It was intended to be sort of Mediterranean during the period, and was embedded in all kinds of places in the house I grew up in.

For years, I called it "THAT SHAPE", but found out it is sometimes referred to as a "roman ogee". Apparently this is based on a woodworking term, but I've seen it used for that xmas ornament shape in all media. Let me know if you find a better term...this was an obsession with me in the pre-internet days!

Good luck!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”