Adjustable shelving

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Dan O.
Modern Master

Adjustable shelving

Postby Dan O. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 am

I just moved into a new place and now have to deal with my boxes and boxes of books, etc. I'm exploring my options on adjustable shelving, these guys are one example:

http://www.issdesigns.com/

They're a bit pricey and what I'm primarily after are nice looking/sturdy standards and brackets as I'll likely built the shelves and cabinets myself out of veneered ply. Can anyone suggest a few sources?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 am

Ikea? yea I know, particle board. Sagging shelves. How about the system redneckmodern used:

http://redneckmodern.typepad.com/rednec ... -part.html

If that does not appeal, then my other suggestions:

If you can make a groove is the sides of the ply, KV standards:

http://www.knapeandvogt.com/Pilaster_St ... cts.18.221

Clunky by today's standards but really strong. It's what I used to use.

You can also buy or make a jig to drill shelf bracket holes. In plywood that is really strong. You can also only put them in a small range of expected adjustability.

You can also just make the shelves fixed. For a wall of books, it's pleasing to the eye to have all the shelves lined up anyway. You are only going to get so many spaces in your fixed height anyway. So, evenly space them. If anything leave either the center most shelf taller or the bottom one.
Making your own bookshelves is really great because you can make them much shallower than you can seem to buy them.

Oh, if you do make adjustable shelves, remember that one shelf in a tall unit would need to be fixed to help hold everything together.
Last edited by egads on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 am

the iss ones are pretty nice, but do check out Ikea options.

you could always build one with common hardware and plywood

luther
Modern Master

Postby luther » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:38 am

You might want to check out the elfa shelving at the Container Store:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/living

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:36 am

Rakks, the system redneckmodern used is pretty much the industry standard for this sort of shelving and priced accordingly; it would certainly pay off to find some Rakks hardware used though. I'll have to check out the Ikea and Elfa hardware, I will definitely be staying away from particle board. I also found this yesterday:

http://johnmccrory.com/2009/06/freestanding-shelves/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 am

So, you are (have) moved into another rental? That make a lot of difference in what one might recommend.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am

agreed: iss is really expensive...

... which is why we went to rakks. however, i'd not trust my rakks system for super-heavy loads. they're aluminum and friction-fit, so once you make a "placement", the bracket kinda wants to go back there, as it makes a bit of a divot in the channel -- makes that initial set-up super critical. that said, it's an easy install otherwise and visually seamless when recessed.

we've quite a bit of experience with elfa as well after installing it in every closet in 2 separate homes. with care, you could also recess the elfa standards and screw-mount them (as opposed to rail-mounting). they wouldn't be nearly as visually seamless as the rakks system, but they're steel and slot-mounting and i've had super-heavy loads on them... presently, in our garage, i have them on a 10ft high wall (bank of shelves is 20ft X 10ft -- a bit massive) and use them as a lumber rack (below) and a storage rack (above) -- they can really hold the weight. if you got white (as opposed to silver) they might disappear into a white wall a bit better.

CB2 has a couple of choices that could be strung together as a wall unit.

i've been considering fabricating a hack-version of the DWR sticotti shelving... can't be too hard with a dado blade and some good stock. i was thinking of something less exotic than the tropical-ironwoods in the original (oak, birch)... but ipe and cumaru is fairly available these days at decking stores (but it's hard to work with).

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:44 am

If you can wait, there is usually a 50% off Elfa sale at the Container Store, I think Octoberish.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm still waiting to hear if this is a rental. My suggestions would differ. If it is, I suggest cruising Ikea as is for some Billy bookcases. Or Craig's list. I just saw someone selling a bunch of CD or DVD storage cases that could either be folded together or laid out against the wall. CD depth is good for regular books. Also, buying old law library bookcases and reconfiguring them would be a cheap way to get quality.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:47 pm

egads wrote:I'm still waiting to hear if this is a rental. My suggestions would differ. If it is, I suggest cruising Ikea as is for some Billy bookcases.

how does living in a rental equate to living in a frat house?

fwiw: in my last rental, we moved into the unit semi-unfinished, got discounts from the owner the first few months because of the unfinished state, finished off much of the carpentry/finishing ourselves (= got to pick exactly what we wanted + they paid for it) and got rent-reductions for every hour we worked on the place... it wasn't our house, but it was our home and treated it as such.
Last edited by redneckmodern on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:08 pm

that Ikea freestanding Broder looks like a good candidate for Cliff May wall panels :cheers:

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:33 am

Throwing in another recommendation for Elfa. We have their closet systems as well as a shelving unit and they are not only beautiful but function and look great

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 am

redneckmodern,

Thanks for the feedback (and the pics) on the Rakks system, I was under the impression that these were pricier that the ISS stuff.

egads,

This is a rental but that's not stopping me from drilling holes if need be (don't get me started on the corner window currently covered w/drywall). The thing I like about the ISS pole mounted setup is that it pretty much copies George Nelson's Omni storage system, ISS goes so far as to acknowledge Nelson as the originator of this shelving system on their own site. Like the Omni system one can mount shelf brackets on the front or rear of the poles and screw cabinets into the sides. A pole mounted system also means a minimum of hole-drilling. Ultimately, budgetary constraints may restrict us to the wall-mounted shelving, the Elfa hardware is not looking too bad.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 am

Of course you have to screw bookshelves to the wall in California. In fact, those screws will not make holes any bigger than hanging a picture. But copying redneckmodern's use of the Rakks system is kind of out. Using another wall mount shelf standard system will make a lot more holes than just securing normal bookshelves though. But if you feel like you will be there a while, why not?

Post some photos of that covered window, maybe we can help you with that as well.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:58 am

you could get creative with the elfa install including filling in the gaps between the standards with panels (wood, drywall, homasote, cork, etc)... if you used wood and made shelves out of the same wood, the result would be similar to what we did with the rakks system (like a "fake recess"). ikea has some interesting deals on wood panels in their kitchen line (nexus, etc.). if you placed them well, you cold use doors to fill in the gaps (64in is the tallest door @ 24in wide) and a door for the shelf itself (perhaps trimming the hinge holes from the back-side). of course, they also sell much larger panels of the same stock (36X88X0.75 being the largest) that you can cut down. good luck

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”