Aluminum Window retrofits!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

62P&K
Modern Master

Aluminum Window retrofits!

Postby 62P&K » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 am

anyone have a brand recommendation for retrofit aluminum windows? yeah, I know aluminum isn't as environmentally friendly as other types, but its what was in our Palmer & Krisel originally and we want to keep the same look.

We've tried Milgard but been super frustrated with their recommended installers. 2 of them have come out and measured but never bothered to send over the actual quote even after repeated badgering. so we're looking for alternatives.

and yes, I've search the forums but the search function here leaves much to be desired.
Jennie and Zane

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 am

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 am

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:36 pm

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 am

Slim and I started this project last year.

We had researched manufactured solutions, and Milgard was making the best of the aluminum ones. Which EVERYONE will try and talk you out of!
Our house really needs the aluminum to stay period. Anything else will be too foo-foo for our little place.

We also looked into Jeld-Wen, which can be ordered from Home Despot, and Slim could install himself.

There is definitely a difference in the profile of modern versus period aluminum windows.

We had the windows in the front of our house rebuilt with double pane by a local glass co, We weren't interested in changing the unique colored pebble glass on our front facade; that was a real struggle to get across. We were able to replace two cracked pieces with material from a stained glass place, and had clear glass butted against them in the frames for insulation. Worked great. Can't open em, but we've got two doors in that room, so can still get a breeze.

We got a pretty ordinary looking slider replacement in the dining room. We havent' given up on the idea of retrofitting our old lucite handle into the new slider hardware. The aluminum windows are the only thing that looks right in the smaller back of the house:

We're also thinking rebuild may be the way to go with the standard aluminum windows in the rear of the house. Interested to hear if others have experience commissioning this project.

Oh- and don't let anyone tell you only vinyl double panes qualify for the tax credit. It's not true!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 pm

might be possible to swap out the glass with double pane. just depends on your frames. post some close-up photos where the glass meets the frame, if you can. It's important your house retain its architectural integrity. if not, it's just another house

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:59 pm

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:18 pm

we had good luck with milgards. we measured ourselves, ordered from big orange and installed them ourselves as well...

http://redneckmodern.typepad.com/rednec ... stall.html

sorry you're having a hard time with the salespeople... perhaps skip them altogether.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 am

Some additional notes:

If your windows are stuccoed in (no wood trim) you need to find a stucco person. The stucco is demoed about 2-4" around the windows, the existing window is replaced and then the stucco is repaired (a three step process)

This is the way all replacement windows were done before the easy to do
vinyl ones became popular. When they install those, the existing windows (slider & fixed) parts are removed but the stuccoed frame is left in place. The new window fits with a finished frame integrated into the new window covering the outside. This is one of the reasons they look so thick and wrong on a house that had aluminum windows.

So, like redneckmodern suggests, just act as your own contractor and leave the window salesman out of it. The damage those clowns do to all types of architecture is grounds for cutting them out. You might even want to have a stucco guy remove the stucco before ordering windows just to confirm the sizes. All window manufacturing is very automated and quick these days. You should not have the house looking torn apart for long. And even if you make a mistake ordering, the wasted window would probably cost less than the window replacement companies profit. Just donate the wrong window to Habitat and take the deduction.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

thanks for all of the info.

I've been looking at BetterBilt and Milgard for budget purposes. Fleetwood are gorgeous but uber expensive.
Jennie and Zane

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:16 am

clay, can you send me contact info for your friend?
Jennie and Zane

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:55 pm

he's going to drop by my place in about 10 minutes. i'll ask him if he can do anything and if he can i'll send his number your way.

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 pm

or you can just walk over here.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:56 am

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 am

I visited my local window store yesterday. they had displays for both fleetwood and milgard amongst others.

Dan, I'm with ya on the fleetwoods. they are gorgeous windows but have a very heavy look about them. they look fantastic on the super-huge modern homes displayed on their website, but in my more accurately-scaled midmod i think they would be too dominating of a presence.

Milgard is top of the list right now.
Jennie and Zane

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 am

I've seen the Milgard products installed in a few homes. They look great--they don't by any means completely mimic the originals, but they're about as close as you can get.

Sometime in the next few years I'll be swapping out my windows with Milgard dual-panes. If I happened to own an office building or an enormous monument-type house, I'd definitely put in Fleetwoods...But for average residential use, Milgard definitely wins.

BTW. Sorry your contractors are such flakes. You'd think that they would be lining up at your door to beg for work considering the economy! :?
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Mon May 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Jennie and Zane

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”