Kitchen Cabinets

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

BhamRuss
Modern Groupie

Kitchen Cabinets

Postby BhamRuss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm working on a Techbuilt house where the kitchen cabinets have been removed because of major water damage. The budget is tight. Can anyone recommend a pre-manufactured kitchen cabinet that would be compatible with the design?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:11 pm

welcome to Lotta Livin, Bham Russ.

IKEA has some inexpensive, timeless stuff. might be a good place to start

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Don't overlook your local salvage opportunities to get something sturdy, period, and reasonable.

If you have a habitat for humanity RE-Store, you may be surprised at what you find.

Going vintage usually gets you quality that has stood the test of time, just not attractive to remuddlers.

Got some MCM cabinets there to use in our garage for about $250.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 am

Do you have pics of the original cabinets and kitchen? I've never seen what an original Techbuilt kitchen looks like. Were they standard issue, or did each builder do his own thing? Even pulled out my copy of "At Home With Tomorrow" to see what I could find. Hardly any mention of the kitchens and no pics. My curiosity aside, pics might help with ideas for replacement.
Visit my Blog

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:25 am

techbuilt hand many different house designs. no standard kitchen/cabinet design. we'd need to see some photos of the existing space. I have some images of original techbuilt kitchens, just not sure of the designer we're talking about.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:19 pm

This is very much a love/hate issue among midmod owners. Keeping the original no matter the condition vs. sourcing original pieces vs. custom building original replicas vs. something entirely new. We went the IKEA route. Very budget-friendly with excellent features, and the Nexus slab-style doors have a very clean look. Of course IKEA cabs are frameless, so a more contemporary look than what would have been there from the get-go, but very nice if done well. I would love to have had Kerf or Henrybuilt or something along those lines, but our budget simply wouldn't allow it. We had about 26' of cabinets and the cost was about $2,600, hardware included. How do you beat that?
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 am

There's an older thread where I pitched the idea of having custom cabinet doors made to go over original (not so in great shape) cabinets, as this is what we did. Way cheaper than placing all the cabinets themselves. Also, in one spot in our kitchen, I put in an inexpensive pre-built cabinet from Lowes, but had the cabinet maker make custom doors for it as well to blend it with the rest of the kitchen. Worked great, and super cheap. Perhaps there might be some ideas for you there. Here's the thread, lots of pictures and links...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6757

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

BhamRuss
Modern Groupie

Postby BhamRuss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:08 am

EXISTING: The cabinets are pretty straight-forward. Stile and rail construction, incorporating plywood where practical and for the door and drawer fronts. The plywood edges are not banded, but left exposed. I'm guessing the exposed veneer is P. Mahogany. The cabinets are finished with a medium brown stain. The doors are flush overlay on pivot hinges. There is a 1-1/4" reveal between the underside of the counter and the top of the drawers, and between the doors and drawers themselves. There is no reveal at the tops and bottoms of the upper cabinets and at the bottom of the base cabinets. There is no exposed hardware, other than the hinges; a hand grip has been routed in on the underside of the drawers and the sides of the doors. If you eliminated the reveals, and added piano hinges; it would look like anyone of FLlW's Usonian kitchens.

BhamRuss
Modern Groupie

Postby BhamRuss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:03 am

Ikea Nexus certainly look promising. Can anyone speak to their quality?

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Re: Ikea Nexus - our kitchen has only been in for a few months, but I am amazed at the quality for the price. The drawer hardware is by Blum, which gives you full-extension and soft-close in a very sturdy package. The slab doors have been great so far. We are two adults with well-behaved animals, though. I don't know how it would all hold up to kiddos banging and hanging on it, but I suppose anything would suffer under such an assault!

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:48 am

I have the same Nexus Yellow Brown cabinets Redneck Modern and Jakabedy have. We're on the third year and no dings, dents, etc. They are holding up well. I love the functionality of Ikea's drawer system.

BhamRuss
Modern Groupie

Postby BhamRuss » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 am

The Ikea kitchen is striking. Does anyone have any familarity with "CabParts" RTA cabinets?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”