Talking trash (cans)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Talking trash (cans)

Postby Dan O. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Check out this thread over at designaddict. I'm a big fan of Brabantia products.

Visit my Blog

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Something you may want to think about is having two receptacles: one for garbage, and the other for recycle. At our house we have RED, for garbage, and GREEN for recycling. They're plastic; the red one's the classic bullet shape, and the green one is more squatty with a foot-dingus so you don't have to use your hands when you're cooking and want to quickly dispose of a can or box o'something... Something else you may like is finding an old ice-bucket and keeping it on your kitchen counter for compost stuff: we found an old one that's stainless with a removable plastic inside/liner. It looks very attractive, and no one really has to know what it is unless they're cooking at our house.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 am

The Container Store has some decent candidates.

casiep
Modern Socialite

Postby casiep » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 am

I second Container Store. They have more in the store than they have online. Brabantia and Polder models are good looking.
Mid-century Finds and Recreations NEW IN THE SHOP - Handmade Modern Birdhouses

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:15 am

"Talking Trash Cans" - Just saw the title again and the first thing that came to mind was that they say "Feed Me" when you get near the can - sorry
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 am

Well how about close to talking, just opening it's mouth? Touch-less or infrared cans open automatically.
http://www.automatictrashcan.org/

The first time I saw one I thought "oh brother!" However, I now have a step on one that moves every time you step on it. Each time it moves closer to the wall. Once close enough, it won't open all the way, then won't open at all.
It has left marks on the wall and scrapes up the VCT as it moves around. So this option is looking less silly. I do think I will incorporate a pull out for trash into the cabinets once that project is underway.

For recycling, we use a metal container from Ikea that is meant to have a plant in it. For newspapers (remember those?) & junk mail we have a rectangular basket near the desk/dinning table. My view of recycling is that it should be as easy as possible. I have containers for that stuff in the garage and courtyard as well.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am

two trader joe's bags, double up, with a plastic liner, under the sink works nifty.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”