bamboo flooring question

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
62P&K
Modern Master

bamboo flooring question

Postby 62P&K » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 am

Jennie and Zane

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 pm

modernmecca
Modern Socialite

Postby modernmecca » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:26 am

Claudia Andrade-Desbiens
http://www.ModernMecca.com
Home Staging • Model Homes • Interior Branding
Los Angeles • Orange County • Palm Springs
http://twitter.com/ModernMecca
http://facebook.com/ModernMecca

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

thanks for all the advice! our installer also recommended not using the particular bamboo that we had chosen nor any sort of glued product.

i've found some engineered bamboo that will float at a decent price. we're also considering both VCT and cork per your suggestions.
Jennie and Zane

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Sat May 01, 2010 6:21 pm

I have cork floors. Lisbon Cork to be exact. Like this:

Like cork does, it gets indentations from furniture, but I don't think it detracts from the floor. It gives it character. There are places where the floor has scuffed from a chair or cleaning. However, a Sharpie and or wood marker makes any scuffed spot blend right in again.

I took this photo today:
None of the scuffs or indentations stick out unless you get down and crawl around on your hands and knees to inspect every tile. Then again, even the cork itself has its own imperfections, so its hard to tell what has happened over time and what was there by design.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 01, 2010 8:36 pm

The thing that's so great about cork is gives both a smooth surface for the kids to play with cars & trucks yet still is cushioning and as the Lumber liquidator's page says, has acoustic properties. One drawback of a clean hard surfaced mod interior is that music from the hi fi sounds tinny. Wall to wall carpet and drapes make a better sound field.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Mon May 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Jennie and Zane

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 03, 2010 5:28 pm

It must be. A couple of years ago I went on a home tour through the MAK center here in LA. (they own the Schindler house) It was of houses in the Crestwood Hills community, built between the late 1940s through the 1950s with primary architecture by A.Quincy Jones & Whitney Smith. Several of the houses on tour had their original cork floors. In one house I remember the line of a change in color between new and original material. I even remember cork on stairs, but I cannot remember how the edge was handled. I sure with I was paying more attention. But in any case, some of it was stained from 50-60 years of use, but still useable.

Here is a link to a Flickr page from that tour:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formwerks/ ... 4507/show/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 pm

most Eichlers built in the early-mid '50s used cork. great stuff.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Tue May 04, 2010 6:20 am

I was at Fallingwater a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly FLW had specified and installed cork in the bathrooms!

if I can dig up my pics I will put the link up.

FYI, if you ever go to Fallingwater, they sell tickets for an in-depth tour that only starts early in the morning. its a far superior experience to the regular tour..more time to explore the space, less people in the group...and they allow interior photography on this particular tour!
Jennie and Zane

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”