Our Kid-raising Barn- Then and Now-

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

Our Kid-raising Barn- Then and Now-

Postby JGropp » Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 pm

When we sold this home many
years ago, it had lovely stained
red cedar ceilings, stained trim,
lots of other natural wood exposed
framing members including the
window mullions & headers above.
As one can see, subsequent owners
have made many changes to the
original house to fit their tastes.

(Click the Link below for my "Knol"
telling the story of Then and Now)

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 08, 2010 8:21 pm

I like the before much better. some people :|

JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

the Right Answer-

Postby JGropp » Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Joe- That's the Right Answer. J-

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA

98040 (206)612-7367

eMail

JGropp2@AOL.com

http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Planner Dude » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 am

FRaC
Modern Socialite

bring 'er back!!!

Postby FRaC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm

for some reason the links/pics don't work right now but i looked at this earlier and i just wanted to agree that the owners obviously made some bad decisions. it reminds me of a story where years ago someone wanted to buy the gamble house in pasadena and the potential buyer said 'it's so dark in here ..' to which the realtor said 'well you can paint everything white!'.

but it does look like the bones are still there .. looks like they enclosed those nice exposed beams (maybe you would call it a truss) with a soffit that could be removed. not sure about the fireplace but that too could probably be brought back. stripping paint off the ceiling would be a mess but is also possible.

hopefully the next owner will do their research and have the desire to do a proper renovation/restoration i.e. the good ol' restovation!

Mr. Gropp i like the mix of mid-mod and sort of japanese temple influences in your architecture .. i'm thinking of the roof lines with gables where the ridge beam extends a couple feet further than the eave/rake beam. and the detailing of that exposed beam condition in this thread.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”