Would you replace these?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
afigure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Would you replace these?

Postby afigure » Thu May 06, 2010 7:58 am

Im not sure what you call these but I think they are fiberglass and they cover a few patios around my house. They are dingy and the seams show. I powerwashed them last year without good results. Would you replace these? If so, with what. Would plexiglass work, should i choose clear? I really want to brighten up my dark patio and also see the sky would be nice? Thanks for any replies.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 06, 2010 8:25 am

They are Filon sheets, corrugated. Very popular in MCM. You can replace with a newer product called Lexan, that stuff comes in clear sheets. The original Felon was made of fiberglass, the Lexan is plastic and is not supposed to yellow or deteriorate out in the weather.

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Thu May 06, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the prompt response and product recommendation. Is the Lexan translucent? The pics I saw looked opaque, but thanks I cant wait to look into this further and promise to post pics of the transformation, when completed.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 06, 2010 8:58 am

I think it comes several ways. Home Depot actually carries it (at least here on the west coast) So you could go look. If you need a lot, I'd do some shopping around for price. No matter how clear you find the product, it will get dirty, just keep that in mind.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 am

I would also look into any plastic / Lexan supplier and see what other kinds of things they have. There are a lot of exterior-safe materials out there you could use to cover your patio.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am

Should I stick with the corrugated sheets? The pitch is not that steep.

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Have you considered using nothing at all? Just remove the corrugated panels (and the sleepers which support the corrugations if they are there) and leave it open to the sky? It would make for a nice trellis. you could even add some additional members to provide more shade if you need it, say on the south or east facade. The problem with anything clear is dirt will build up on it again. Granted I am in Los Angeles where it never rains so I have nothing to protect but the sun.

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Thu May 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Lexan is a clear polycarbonate. It can be pretty expensive. However, it can take anything. It is used as the windshield in race cars. It is very light and durable.

If you want to keep the corrugated look, this place has it:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 06, 2010 10:36 pm

I think details like these... and original light fixtures and period bathrooms and address numbers, etc. are the details that give old homes a heart and soul and more eyes into it than even windows. Even though this particular material is at the end of it's life span, I would certainly recommend replacing it in-kind. Even if it is some new post-space-age material, it should look the same. It's kinda surprising how few people think like this in the "houses and homes" section. I don't get around here much.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri May 07, 2010 2:52 am

The HD in ATL carry three versions of the plastic, clear, white and smoke, in two lengths (8' and 12'). It's easy to install - if you can't use the original hardware look for SS hex bolts that have rubber gaskets under them and only screw then where the corregation goes up so water doesn't pool around the head. All plastics and resins will deteriorate with exposure to weather (sunlight mostly) so you can try something for a while and if you don't like it, expect to replace at some point, provided you're in the house for a while.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 pm

they are what they are. lexan will become dirty and dingy over time as well. any clear plastic substrate will. seems exist because they come in 4x8 sheets. seems will be more noticeable with connectors with lexan.

consider the time and expense involved. within a couple years, you'll be right back with what you got.

maybe a power washer with a soaping brush can clean them up? they'll need annual cleaning no matter what you put up.

I don't mind them and your photos make me want to consider them for a cover on my pergola.

let's see more photos of your house!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun May 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I looked at the corrugated fiberglass today and noticed an obscure version, which is probably what you have.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”