Cliff May bathroom window frame needed.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jetson5
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cliff May bathroom window frame needed.

Postby Jetson5 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 am

Hello all,

We're in need of a window frame for our Cliff May, Don't have measurements right now but it's the typical size of the bathroom in the prefabs. Ours has a rust issue and no longer opens. Thought I'd post just in case anyone is doing window replacement and has or knows of a spare. Located in Denver.

Thanks!

Michael

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Here's a link for a LA company that is making new ones. They only come with no glass as no one can sell windows that do not meet energy codes. I do seem to remember that they can rout deeper if you want to use dual pane glass units. (you can also rout your existing windows and doors to take such units) In any case, here is the link:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QJDjS0mVLp ... e_Corp.pdf

This is a file from the Cliff May Yahoo groups, a scan of an ad we received in the Long Beach neighborhood. Here is the url of the company, although they do not show the door & window units

http://www.ohline.com/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 am

Sorry, that pdf link does not seem to work. However, if one goes to the Yahoo Cliff May Rancho group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cliffmayranchos/

Click files in the sidebar, and scroll down to the pdf of the Rancho Replica by Ohline Corp file you can see the flyer.

I only suggest this because, even if someone has one, shipping it would be difficult. But shipping may be easier for a company to do. The flyer says that sliding sash starts at $176.95 so I figure that is a high slider like the baths have.

Jetson5
Modern Groupie

Postby Jetson5 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Egads,

Thanks alot. I will definately get in touch with this company, the pricing seems reasonable as well. The dimensions appear to be the same as ours but instead of being sliders the windows in ours have a crank. I wonder if the crank style was used in any of the other cm homes or if it was something spec'd only in our development.

I'd love to find the same exact thing we had(minus rust issue of course!) but the slider style would definately work great and I did notice that it's available as two fixed panes as well. In any case, I really appreciate the tip off on these replicas.

~Michael

Jetson5
Modern Groupie

Postby Jetson5 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Well bummer. I contacted the company and it looks like they had a change of mind on manufacturing the windows due to a lack of interest. I urged them to reconsider but I don't think they were swayed. Too bad, but it was worth a try!

~Michael

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri May 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Well, they will hear from me. They put an ad in Atomic Ranch and sent flyers to this entire neighborhood. I mean what did they expect? Folks are only going to need this sort of thing here and there.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Jetson5
Modern Groupie

Postby Jetson5 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:30 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 10, 2010 12:09 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 10, 2010 12:12 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Jetson5
Modern Groupie

Postby Jetson5 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 10, 2010 4:41 pm

hit me at joe at barthlow dot com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 10, 2010 6:46 pm

So indeed OHLINE corp does have an ad in the "spring 2010" issue of Atomic Ranch. Page 36, the issue Joe's house is in. I wonder if they ran into problems because of not being allowed to make non energy complaint windows. Now here is Long Beach that would not really be an issue, but Colorado? Just because you can fit them with dual pane glass units does not mean they pass other tests. I bet running the tests is expensive for a company.

Now it should not be that hard to find a wood worker to make a window frame. I'd explore that. And when you do finally have a new wood window, make sure its well painted. Any crank mechanism should be kept oiled or sprayed with silicone. In our hall bath tub/shower, we have an additional simple shower curtain rod with a plain nylon shower curtain on it. I haven't even gotten around to shortening it. It is completely form follows function and not particularly attractive, but that bath is used by those in this family that are, shall we say, less attentive. So to keep not only the window, but the side of the house from rotting, that's what I do.

If I could not block all water, I think I would commit heresy and use a vinyl window there.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 10, 2010 6:51 pm

the frames can be routed deeper to take dual pane low-e glass. all of my frames received that treatment about 1/4 inch and made wood stops to hold the glass. looks perfect and functions great. better insulation than my walls

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Yes, but for a "window manufacturer" air infiltration, heat transmission of the frame, all kinds of things go into a real new energy efficient government certified window.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”