smooth walls, no texture

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
62P&K
Modern Master

smooth walls, no texture

Postby 62P&K » Wed May 12, 2010 8:06 am

all,

we are in the process of replacing drywall in 2 rooms due to water damage. as part of the project, we asked that the walls be a smooth finish without the orange peel texture found all the way through the house.

the contractor is struggling to get a nice, even finish to the walls. heh as patched, sanded, and painted each room several times. the problem he states is that much of the imperfections can't be seen until paint is applied and natural light is streaming in the windows.

is anyone familiar with how this look is achieved? is there a different drywall material? a different method for smoothing the walls?

his hard work is achieving better results than his initial pass at it, but I'm wondering for future reference if there is a more effective way of doing this!

oh, and we aren't talking about the waviness that is a result of 50 years of the framing expanding/contracting. we're talking about uneven paint spots (even though its all been sprayed carefully) and small pits that appear to be part of the grain of the drywall paper covering. also, sometimes the seams or mud patching edges are visible but can't be felt when gliding a hand over them...weird...

we want to "detexturize" the rest of the house but want to get better, more efficient results than this time around.
Jennie and Zane

spaceghost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby spaceghost » Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 am

at my house we used a skim coat of plaster over most walls. it takes a bit of a skilled hand as well as some attention to detail sanding but the walls are quite smooth. you might also want to make sure the contractor is using a primer basecoat (maybe two coats if there are serious imperfections) and two coats of final paint.

your contractor is correct that as soon as you paint the walls your walls will telegraph all of the imperfections. the process we followed was to prepare the walls, paint, then walk around with a pencil and circle areas which needed additional attention in natural light as well as when we turned the lights on at night. Both lighting conditions will show different imperfections.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am

I just read a forum that mentioned using the plaster option. I also found this:

I have used a high build primer, used a sidelight to check for defects, touch-up, sanded with 220 paper then applied finish paint with a 3/16" roller then finish rolled with a foam roller cover. This has worked very well but of course is time consuming.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/show ... hp?t=49364

I've never heard of a high-build primer but it sounds interesting...
Jennie and Zane

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Wed May 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Build it to last.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm

all my drywall has a smooth finish. we replaced some that was damaged and achieved the look with smoothing over the screws and joints, then used a heavy nap roller for primer and two coats paint. quite pleased.

if you drywall person is struggling, find someone else. not rocket science.

plaster is fine too
Last edited by Joe on Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 am

derekv
Modern Groupie

Postby derekv » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 am

Sounds like the contractor is not skimming the entire surface. Second after he sprays the primer he needs to backrool. You need a level 5 finish: Hope this helps.

LEVEL 5: All joints and interior angles shall be tape embedded in joint compound and three separate coats of joint compound applied over all joints, angles, fastener heads and accessories. A thin skim coat of joint compound, or a material manufactured especially for this purpose, shall be applied to the surface. The surface shall be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. Note: It is recommended that the prepared surface be coated with a primer/sealer prior to the application of final finishes. This level of finish is recommended where gloss, semi gloss, enamel or nontextured flat paints are specified or where severe side lighting conditions occur. This highest quality finish is the most effective method to provide a uniform surface and minimize the possibility of joint photographing and of fasteners showing through the final decoration. (note: Application of primer/paint products over Level 4 and Level 5 smooth finish: Industry experience demonstrates an effective method for achieving a visually uniform surface for both the primer and topcoat is spray application immediately followed by back rolling or roller application using good roller techniques such as finishing in one direction and using roller types and naps recommended by the paint manufacturer.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

I just had my walls and ceilings skim coated too and it's the best decision I've made. Huge difference in appearance. The best way to smooth the walls when sanding is the do it at night with a spot light and holding it at different angles to see any imperfections. The imperfections will cast shadows and make it easy to spot them and sand them.

62P&K
Modern Master

Postby 62P&K » Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 am

Jennie and Zane

derekv
Modern Groupie

Postby derekv » Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 am

That was from the manufacturer. The levels of finish are an industry wide standard crafted from some trade group.

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources ... iting.aspx

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”