Garage door on Techbuilt house??? AFTER pic POSTED

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dani
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Garage door on Techbuilt house??? AFTER pic POSTED

Postby dani » Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 am

Our garage door is in need of replacement. I need to get a picture of it, but the bottom panel is severely rotted. We have no gutters so this contributed to the deterioration, that and we live in the woods. So I want to replace it with something that suits the house, but is more practical than wood... KWIM?

Our garage is the only thing you see when you arive... I am going to go take pics, but please show me some Ideas if you have them :) thanks sooo much.

BTW we bought this house late last fall and are enjoying owning a MCM more than we ever thought, we are in the process of restoring a lot of it back to its roots ...MCM. We were fortunate to acquire all the plans for our custom Techbuilt house.
Last edited by dani on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 22, 2010 11:30 am

If you cannot figure out how to post pictures, at least get some uploaded to a site like flickr and then copy a link to their page so we can drop by and have a look. You will have to upload photos to some hosting site to make them show here anyway. The way photos show up in posts is because a url is inserted between img parameters. The picture is like a separate web page showing in the post.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 pm

my flickr is finally uploading for me.... I don't know why but it would not upload this am... pics soon!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat May 22, 2010 12:55 pm

here is the flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49077848@N05/?saved=1

any ideas on color scheme appreciated!! house color and trim are original. Accent color on door used to be orange originally The previous owners painted them brown. I don't like the brown, not sure about the blue/grays either.....

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Dani, to post an image, if you are using a PC, not sure about a Mac, but right click on the image, and hit "view image", copy the URL and past it into the text box, without using spaces, put this in the front: [img]and%20this[/img] in the back, so it looks like this, but I have put spaces between the address and the code:

hope this helps,
Slim

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 pm

I like the gray, but how about coral-pink for the trim and doors, eraser-pink is what I tell people when I'm trying to explain the color.

Here it is on our fridge:

and our 1956 Buick:

Can you tell how much I HATE this color: it would look extremely period on your house.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

We selected a powder coated steel door for our new house.

They are available in a wide range of colors.

We then matched this color for the entrance stucco.

scowsa

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat May 22, 2010 4:16 pm

I am loving the powder coated steel :) I have to find some one here in IL that carries them now.... I like the polished look of them.

Slim, I love the colors of your house! Those were the colors of our last house. If I had it my way I would do the pink, not so sure Hubby will go for it though....

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat May 22, 2010 4:53 pm

probably not the original door, but good for the house

easy fix. talk to a contractor with garage door experience and just replace the bottom panel. no need for a new door. your local garage door shop may be able to refer a contractor to you. Beware, though, they try to sell you a new crappy door.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I'd use any money you save fixing the existing door to get custom rain gutters. You want a box style gutter. It's a plain U shape. For your house I might try having them made so the back tilts outward so the bottom sits level without having any wedges holding it so. Even the front can also be canted so the front and back planes are parallel. A plain and perhaps smaller gutter running around the front colonnade would also help keep the rain from rotting the posts. Downspouts can also be custom made so they are plain boxes and mimic wood posts when painted instead if the crinkle type a seamless gutter guy would normally use. The seamless gutter machines can be fitted with rollers to make several shapes. But not very many companies have anything but half round or the very common ogee face. But a sheet metal shop can make you anything.

Here is how I insert flickr images here on my Mac:

I go to my Flickr page and click an image. Then above the image is a link called "all sizes" From that page I select a size and the highlight the url of that size image. Using the "Apple" key plus C I copy the url.
Then in a posting box here (or on most other sites) you click the Img button, then use "Apple" V to paste the url, then click the Img button again. At the bottom next to "Submit" is another button, Preview. Clicking that will show you how the image looks. This allows you to see if it worked and if it did, check the size of the image. I bet Slim used the large size in his post above. But sometimes the largest is too big and the image requires readers to scroll to see the whole thing.

Oh, here's a picture of my garage:

Marge across the street had some accelerator issues. It's still not fixed. Two insurance companies & I had to go out of town. Finding a good garage door guy is not easy. So good luck finding the right person. I think I finally have. But you have to talk to a lot of flakes and tin salesman to weed them out.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun May 23, 2010 5:02 am

Holly crap! Is that for real?
(But i love how the car compliments the flora foreground.)

My neighbor just did that to himself. He backed out of his garage
but forgot to open it :)
He's a hot-head so he floored it.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 am

I found a retailer that has the powder coated doors. I still have yet to find anyone that will just sell a panel. I would have to have it made... ours has a slight texture and I'm sure would never match right. So I am leaning toward new door at this time. I kinda like no gutters, we are on a slab so it works for us..... 3' out from around the house is all cobbles so we have a "splash zone"

I love the garage door, too bad the car had to bust it up :) although it makes for a great picture!!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 am

egads: great pic

dani: have a contractor make the panel. a replacement panel does exist, but you need to do a little research to find it. does your garage door have any stickers on it? usually, somewhere on the door, you see something that lists the manufacturer. your door is pretty common.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 am

Barcol is the only label I can find. I know they are common. I just dropped off a design for a client and she has the same door on her 60's ranch, same label and all. Her bottom panel is doing the same thing.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 am

http://www.barcoldoor.com/

Now it's sounding like a warranty issue. I'd take pictures of your clients door as well and then contact them.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am

I sent them an email.... I also found the serial # on the door. So we will see what they have to say

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 am

keep in mind, this is an old company and may not respond too fast. If you don't like the answer you get via email, call them and talk to someone.

if you end up going with a new door, a tipping door with a face that matches the siding of your house would look great and appropriate for the period of the home.

But I would try to repair the door you have.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:03 pm

update:

as of today we are going to get 4 replacement panels for our door. They do not make replacement panels in the same construction as ours was (tongue and groove) they only make them in lap joints now. Soooo. we are going to have all 4 of them replaced. so the garage door will be exactly the same look and construction with exception to the joints between the panels.

The cost is VERY reasonable, but only one out of many many companies was able to suggest or even agree to install a replacement panel, that was after we poo pooed the idea of vinyl or steel. We came up with the idea to replace them all, after we learned they no longer make the panel with tongue and groove joints (as our door was).

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 pm

Finally got it in!!!!!
BEFORE

AFTER

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:09 pm

That looks great!
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm getting one today! Finally! the neighbors were probably starting to talk. I'll wait a few days until I have everything trimmed out and painted to post a photo. By the way, what is the surface of the door?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

thumbs up!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Wood, I imagine pine... it came primed and we painted it. If you look close in the old pics you can see the door had lots of rivets in it. The new "replacement" panels have none, just nice smooth flat wood. I like it even better than the old one :)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”